Linn DS players v Linn Unidisc

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Dave

Linn DS players v Linn Unidisc

Post by Dave »

Hi guys

How do you rate the linn ds players v the unidisc players-any specific order?

How much better are the ds players in reality and are they worth the price paid?

Thanks
fredrik

Re: Linn DS players v Linn Unidisc

Post by fredrik »

Are you primarily listening to CD, DVDA, or SACD?'

With a DS player source material is up sampled and filtered by the Linn FPGA rather then the DAC itself.
This is one reason any DS player achieves some level of sonic superiority over a typical Unidisk.
DVD:a can be ripped and converted to FLAC, SACD can be ripped to DFF using an old PS3. Then the DFF can be enjoyed on Klimax DS/M katalyst version or resampled to FLAC and enjoyed on any DS player.

You can also enjoy Qobuz and Tidal vast library of CD "or better quality" catalogue of music which is easy to access now that most shops stopped selling CD:s and even DVD/BluRays..
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

The only direct comparison I did, was when I replaced my Unidisk 1.1 with an Akurate DS/0 (no Dynamik back then) and the ADS was clearly better.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I guess what Im out after is- is the newer technology worth the price paid?
Streaming for me is odd, because I dont tangibly own my music
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Why not go for the best? (Old) Vinyl!
Dave

Post by Dave »

How right you are!
Am enjoying cd right now as my daughter would love to get her paws on my LP12...
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Dave wrote:I guess what Im out after is- is the newer technology worth the price paid?
Streaming for me is odd, because I dont tangibly own my music
There are 2 types of streaming:

1. You have a network attached storage device which contains music that you have ripped from CDs or purchased as downloads. These files are streamed to your streamer across your home network. You own this music, provided you purchased it legitimately in the first place (you would need to keep your ripped CDs as proof of ownership, even then, very strictly speaking the law in the EU says your ripped copies are illegal but no one has been prosecuted except where they have distributed or sold the copies). This type of streaming delivers the best sound quality but you are limited to the music you own.

2. Streaming services that are delivered to your streamer over the internet. For these you pay a subscription fee and you never own the music. Stop paying and your access stops. However, you do get access to milions of tracks, way more than you could hope to legally collect and own. Sound quality varies from compressed Spotify through almost CD of Tidal up to higher than CD of the top end Qobuz option. Remember that some music you like may not be on the streamimg service you choose and that service may go out of business leaving you having paid hundreds over the months but with access to nothing.

So, you have choices.

If you want top quality (for CD level and above) and ownership you'll need local copy to stream. If you want maximum choice of content and a choice of prices and quality levels, then a streaming service would work.

Many of us combine both - a service for variety and trying stuff out, then buy a copy of stuff we care about.

If you just want the variety and quality is not paramount the a Spotify account and a Bluesound or similar streamer will suffice. If you want quality sound and options on Tidal and Qobuz services in addition to local streaming, a product such as thise from Linn are worthwhile. Any streamer of any vintage from Linn Akurate and above (as long as it has a Dynamik power supply) will out perform the Unidisk, as will the more recent Majik level streamers.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.