If You Could Only Have One Tune Dem Disc

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

If You Could Only Have One Tune Dem Disc

Post by Spannko »

Almost any piece of well recorded music should do, but for me it would have to be a single instrument recording without any other instruments attempting to trick me into thinking something like “Oh yes, that bass sounds about the right level”, or such like.

Something like Granados by Julian Bream & John Williams, or Asturias by Sharon Isbin would do. But if I had to select just one, it would be Beethoven’s piano sonata No 14 ‘Moonlight’ played by Artur Pizarro. It’s a 192/24 recording by Linn. On the surface, its got a very simple melody with which to perform the Tune Dem, but as the system gets better intricacies start emerging which give a whole new insight into the music. I just pop it on and see how far i can get through it before the discordances start to distract me from the performance.

So, if you could have only one disc to do all your Tune Demming, what would it be?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: If You Could Only Have One Tune Dem Disc

Post by beck »

Almost impossible for me to answer. But what about this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxdz3nid8u5b9 ... 8.mov?dl=0 :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Ha ha! Yes, those late 70’s Heebeegeebee’s disco tracks are a real contender!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I really don't have one. Don't recall ever thinking a specific track was good for tune deming.

I think a recording with single instrument is fine for working out the most tuneful option, but you may miss other elements, such as the interplay and timing between musicians.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

You might want to try this one! (Apologies in advance to Charlie1.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71RtAvijow0
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote:You might want to try this one! (Apologies in advance to Charlie1.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71RtAvijow0
I cannot open your link in my country. Is it this one?

https://youtu.be/J_Ktvrm1sbU

Do listen until the 7. minute to get the really nasty bit! :-)

To be a bit more serious I am more in line with Charlie1. It is nice to have more tracks to use but I actually find that most tracks will do because it is all about the changes when comparing.
Playing cd’s…………
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

This one was suggested to me - https://youtu.be/zSAJ0l4OBHM
Paaf
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Paaf »

Beck, I sometimes use modern jazz too... But so far nothing THAT complex. lol

Tokenbrit, I often use acoustic 70s pop, incl that song!

In general I like to change song often so I don't get too used to a specific one.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

A record that works for me is Maria Rita's album "Segundo". It has excellent musicians, is sparsely recorded with a very natural sound. But the key is Maria's voice, which can sound a bit off key on badly tuned rigs. The more "in tune" your stereo is, the better she sings. When "Sobre Todas As Coisas" brings a tear to your eyes, you've got it right.
https://www.discogs.com/de/Maria-Rita-S ... ase/763603
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Guys, I really recommend using unfamiliar music evaluating musical understanding with Tune Dem.

Using familiar music, it's all too easy evaluating just sound.
It's all about musical understanding!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Music Lover wrote:Guys, I really recommend using unfamiliar music evaluating musical understanding with Tune Dem.

Using familiar music, it's all too easy evaluating just sound.
Why do you think I recommended Zoot Suite? How many people are familiar with it?

All kidding aside, I actually do like that album and when it came out I used it all the time for demonstration. Why? Because on anything except a really tuneful system that piece is quite annoying (and yes, I know, some of you will feel it is annoying regardless) but on a truly musical system most customers did find there was musical value to it. I have related elsewhere finding the same thing myself in playing Africa/Brass by John Coltrane on an SME 20 (quite unmusical) and a Klimax LP12 (quite enjoyable - so much so I bought the album the next week). There are a number of albums like that that have dissonances or complex harmonies (like the original The Roches album) that are a difficult test for any system to sort out. So they can be very useful in sorting the wheat from the chaff.

I do agree using a piece of music you aren't familiar with is often a good idea and I believe it was originally recommended by Ivor. The problem with listening to a favorite piece of music is that you like it so much and are so familiar with it that you may inadvertently fill in the blanks. With a piece you haven't heard before it is often easier to focus on how in tune the instruments are (or instrument in a solo recording).
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.