External DAC

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

trumpeten

External DAC

Post by trumpeten »

What if I am not willing to go for a Linn DS system and want to get a descent network based music system using a separate DAC. I really enjoy the looks and ease of use of Itunes and would like to hook something up either to the USB of an MiniMac or streamed to an Apple Airport Express.

Several DACs currently being released at very reasonable price levels (<300 EUR), what about these ones from Music Fidelity and Cambridge Audio:

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products ... /vdac.html
http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=320

Anyone experienced running a system with any of these components? How does it sound?

Regards,
Andreas
JW

Post by JW »

In a week or so I can tell you how a Squeezebox - X-DAC v3 - Kikkin - 2250s - Aktiv Ninkas sounds... 8)

JW
KDSM Organik, KCT, Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III
Mattias

Post by Mattias »

I currently run a Mac Mini and a Beresford TC-7510 DAC (£105) with a Linn Kolektor and LK 140 amp. My speakers are Wharfedale 75 Anniversary on Katan stands. I rip my CDs in Apple Lossless and I use an iPod Touch as remote control. I used to run a Genki in my system earlier, and frakly, I don't miss it. I plan to upgrade my source to a Linn DS of some kind and it would be quite interesting to compare my set up to a Sneaky or a Majik DS.
trumpeten

Post by trumpeten »

Thanks for the input. A head to head test of a DS against a Mac/PC with external DAC would be nice to hear. I believe the Cambridge one can be of particular interest, this is a quote picked up in WhatHifi where is was reviewed:

"Apart from anything else, we just loved the clean but always extended and tuneful bass this setting gave, with an utterly convincing sense of timing that made the most of the rhythmic qualities of any musical style. One tends to associate rhythm particularly with music for dancing or marching but, of course, it’s no less important in a string quartet or ballad, just in a different way. Indeed, it was with such pieces that we were aware of the DacMagic’s clear precision in presenting the timing of each instrumental part. But yes, before you ask, it can also make the most of a dance track."

I'll check if I can borrow one home and test.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Hi,

On my bedroom system I'm using a Windows Notebook (HP NC6320) with Windows XP SP3 running Squeezecenter 7.3.1 feeding a Firestone Fubar II USB DAC + Firestone Supplier power supply. The DAC is connected to a Naim Nait 5i integrated amp and speakers are Rega Kytes.

It makes wonderful music!
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
Briain

Post by Briain »

Hi

I've tried both Sonos and Logitech Duet via a Linn Numerik and it makes a massive difference over using their own analogue outputs. A while back, I also tried a couple of current 'home studio' type D/A's (about the £300 area) with the Sonos and they sounded really quite poor compared to the Numerik. Not sure if it's all down to the analogue stages, or whether part of it's that Numerik's particularly good at dealing with less well shaped and perhaps more jittery signals; I seem to remember that being a claim I've heard from somewhere.

Anyhow, a second hand Numerik (particularly if you can get one with the SMPS power supply in it) is well worth considering for the money.

Bri
trumpeten

Post by trumpeten »

An update:

After playing Spotify Premium and some ripped CDs through the headphoneconnection on a MacMini a switched to a very simple usb-powered soundcard from Project: http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?p ... es&lang=en

In my opinion this was better than using the normal audio out from the MacMini, however output volume was slightly lower so for testing I had to turn it up a bit which made comparising a bit tricky. But bottom line I felt it was slightly better than just using a 3.5mm mini-plug to RCA from the Mac.

Then this weekend I got a Cambridge DacMagic! http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/set_terri ... hp?PID=320

Very nice built and goodlooking DAC. Three digital inputs: USB and two for either optical or coaxial. It also has 3 selectable digital filters which you can play around with. How does it sound? No dought it is better than the 3,5mm headphone output, also better than the Project USB-soundcard. A lot more punch and richer sound. I have now done some quick A/B testing against the CD of my Linn Classik. Slightly better I would say. The Classik CD seems a little laid back, the DAC is leaning forward a bit more, drives the music in a different way. I will listen some more the upcoming weeks.

Equipment used: Linn Classik T with Linn Ninkas. Mac Mini via usb to Cambridge DacMagic.

PS. I still wait for someone to do a complete DS vs. and non streaming DACs shot-out. Different concepts but in terms of musicality how do they differ?
springwood64
Very active member
Very active member

Post by springwood64 »

I'm using Airport Express from iTunes into the DAC of an AV 5103. I've not compared it to any other streaming solutions, but I have compared it to my Arcam DV88 DVD and CD player.

I first compared the Arcam analogue into the AV 5103 vs the Arcam digital optical vs the Arcam digital coax.

The Arcam analogue was notably poorer than either the digital optical into the AV 5103 DAC or the digital coax, implying that the AV 5103 DAC is better than the Arcam's. The digital optical was slightly worse than the digital coax.

I then compared my Airport Express into the AV 5103 DAC (via optical) against the Arcam DV 88 (via coax). The Airport Express connects via Powerline ethernet adaptors and a hub with iTunes on my PC in the office, which is in another room.

The Arcam and the Airport Express are v close - surprising given the poorer optical connection on the AE. My test music was Gabriel and Rodrigo, ripped into Apple Lossless by iTunes against the same CD played on the Arcam.

Neither compare well with my LP12, of course :D
Pete

Linn Axis, Slipsik, Källa, Boazu, Espeks
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

Some time ago I tried a variety of Firewire connected AD/DA converters,
including TerraTec, Echo, MAudio, Motu, RME and some more. From
these, only the RME Fireface800 was musical enough to my
likings, despite some others got very positive reviews. Some of the
components I tested sounded simply terrible, though they were
capable of 192 kHz etc. etc..
I do listen to the FF800 and my LP12 in turn without getting annoyed.
But 192 kHz data is all that my FF800 sees, as I cannot persuade
myself that the poor CD format contains good music at all.
(Thelonious Monk on CD format is my personal horror scenario.) And: the
FF800 costs are comparable to a Sneaky......
trumpeten

Post by trumpeten »

Nice with the RME Fireface800, you also have the ability to run 56 channels simultaneously :lol:

I agree analogue is in many ways superior, I regard my modest turntable setup (Rega Planar 3/Linn Adikt/Lejonklou Kinki) as my superior source when it comes to musicality, however I listen most to digital music because of the ease of use and almost unlimited accessability to new music.
k_numigl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by k_numigl »

> 56 channels simultaneously

Though I agree that I do not fully use the FF800, it is less of an
overkill than indicated: There are 4 stereo ADCs and 4 stereo
DACs in the box, and as I use to run the stereo signal on two
independent chips, I could perhaps say, I use half (!) of the potential
of the box.... ;-)
But of course, you are right, it is not intended for the home audio
market.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I'm picking up an old thread here.

Yesterday I installed a Slipsik phono stage and a Sagatun preamp in a customers system. After the system had been tuned, we ended up comparing three DAC's that he had borrowed. The DAC's main use was to connect an Apple TV to his HiFi system, so we made all comparisons using the Apple TV and streaming music from Wimp (quality-wise this was way better than Spotify, which I found unlistenable). The only detail we tuned with the DAC's was which way their power adapters should be oriented iiin the power strip (they were all reversible). The power adapters to the DAC's were connected to the same strip as the HiFi system, while the Apple TV was powered by a separate strip (which powered network stuff). We did not compare Toslink cables, but used the only one we had between Apple TV and DAC.

So the three DAC's compared were:
ProJect DAC Box S USB
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100
Simaudio Moon 100D

The most musical of these three was Cambridge DacMagic 100. An easy decision, as it was the only one that made me want to keep listening.

Moon came second (though twice as expensive). Although not too far behind, it was neither as impressive sounding nor as good at making sense of the music.

ProJect was the most boring and flat souding of the three.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Dacmagic 100

Post by Spannko »

That's great news. I've been looking for a good cheap musical dac for ages. Richer Sounds have it on special offer for only £130 (inc p&p) so I placed my order this morning. It should be just the ticket for feeding my Creek 4140 and Royd Coniston R's from the Sky box.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

I compared the CA dac to the 30GBP generic maplin dac and to me the maplin was way more enjoyable and musical than CA ..Although the maplin sounded better it didn't sound as good as I remembered it the day b4 ..It wasn't til I removed the CA 100 from the strip that the maplin went back to its normal self..maybe it's the CA power supply that's spoiling CAs tune
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Lego wrote:I compared the CA dac to the 30GBP generic maplin dac and to me the maplin was way more enjoyable and musical than CA ..Although the maplin sounded better it didn't sound as good as I remembered it the day b4 ..It wasn't til I removed the CA 100 from the strip that the maplin went back to its normal self..maybe it's the CA power supply that's spoiling CAs tune
No kidding, £30? That sounds like a bargain.

No doubt the external power supplies play a vital role in how these units perform. When I rotated the mains connection (which you can't do in the UK) of the different DACs we tried, the difference was biggest with the Cambridge's power supply. Maybe they include a different type in the UK, which is much worse?
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Hmm not so sure it is a bargain there are a few dacs at that price range that sound quite similar to mine ..It's when I went up to the 150-250 price range I discovered that musically there was no real improvement to the extent it made mine sound broken.and a few sounded worse.here it is http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/digital-to-an ... rter-a14kf ..saw the inside of this and it looks almost identical to the 300 meridian dac..looks like they've put the price up
Last edited by Lego on 2014-12-22 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Yes before molded plugs we used to change over the polarity and compare ...always pissed off when opposite sounded worse
I know that tune
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Update:

I tried a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 in another system. This time it wasn't very good at all.

Again, an Apple TV was the source. And a Panasonic plasma TV was connected to it, acting as DAC for whatever the Apple TV playing. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 should be a nice improvement, I thought. The mains adapter that came with it was not of the same type as last time. It was now black with a variety of twist-on mains pins. Last time it was white and bigger. Didn't take notes on brands or models (sorry).

To make a rather short story even shorter, the DAC in the Panasonic plasma was more musical than the Cambridge DacMagic 100. And this regardless of what files we were playing or from what source we were streaming. The Cambridge sounded bigger, fatter, more spacious and more confused. The Panasonic TV sounded slightly flatter, harsher and made more sense.

Hm.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Lego wrote:here it is http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/digital-to-an ... rter-a14kf ..saw the inside of this and it looks almost identical to the 300 meridian dac.
OK, so I'm in London for a few days. I had to go in to Maplin and buy this thing, £39.99. It's going to be interesting to test it back at home. Can't be any worse than the D/A in my Apple Lightning to 30 pin cable...
Last edited by Linnofil on 2015-01-29 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Linnofil wrote:
Lego wrote:here it is http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/digital-to-an ... rter-a14kf ..saw the inside of this and it looks almost identical to the 300 meridian dac.
OK, so I'm in London for a few days. I had to go in to Maplin and buy this thing, £39.99. It's going to be interesting to test it back at home. Can't be any worse than the D/A in my Apple Lightning to 30 pin cable...
you do realise it's usb powered
I know that tune
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

First of all, sorry about the font in the previous post, that was not suppose to happen! I changed that now.
Lego wrote:you do realise it's usb powered
Yes, but I can connect it to an USB hub and get around the Apple iPhone power consumtion limit. (Or connect to a powered USB hub.) I googled and read about it here: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

But now that I have arrived at home and tested this I can only say that it was a dissapointment. This is not a good solution. I will test again with a better cable (I used a generic "3,5 mm to RCA" instead of Linn Black from the RCA output.) The sound was OK, reasonably good, but the music was not. Still better than the dreadful analouge output from the Iphone 5s. Powered or not powered USB hub did in my case not make a noticeable difference.

This costed me around £70, £40 for the Maplin DA, £10 for the poowered USB hub and £20 for the Apple lightning to camera adapter (to get female USB) and left me a bit unhappy. Not at all as good as analouge out from the 30 pin connectors on the old iPhones.

But I wouldn't be Linnofil if I didn't searched for a solution, and so I did...

My new and much better solution costed me £2. Bargain of the year?

I bought this for 25 SEK (£2):
http://www.biltema.se/sv/Kontor---Tekni ... rtId=24191

This bluetooth DA is powered by a apple 30 pin connector. So the true cost of this should include a USB power adapter (I use a small Apple) and a 30 pin cable from the older type of iPhones. I had both already so no added cost for me. I tried to power this from the iphone (camera adapter) and this worked, but did not sound as good as when powered from the USB/wall adapter. But for portable use this is a possibility.

I'm really happy with this solution. I stream FLAC over WLAN from my LS-NAS to the iPhone with the PlugPlayer app and my garden shed is now rocking again! Much more music than with the Maplin DA. (With the same 3,5 mm to RCA cable.)

This is an item that is on sale and it is not going to be restocked by Biltema. If you want one, act now! I just bought an extra spare 2 days ago, cheap!
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Sorry Linnofil I wasn't actually recommending the dac I was just saying it sounded better than 200GBP dacs I compared it with on my dell mini @ 29 GBP ...that bluetooth is a real bargain ..how do you power it with the mains ..and is the dac inside the bluetooth device better than the one in iPhone 5
I know that tune
doze84

Post by doze84 »

Linnofil wrote:First of all, sorry about the font in the previous post, that was not suppose to happen! I changed that now.
Lego wrote:you do realise it's usb powered
Yes, but I can connect it to an USB hub and get around the Apple iPhone power consumtion limit. (Or connect to a powered USB hub.) I googled and read about it here: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838

But now that I have arrived at home and tested this I can only say that it was a dissapointment. This is not a good solution. I will test again with a better cable (I used a generic "3,5 mm to RCA" instead of Linn Black from the RCA output.) The sound was OK, reasonably good, but the music was not. Still better than the dreadful analouge output from the Iphone 5s. Powered or not powered USB hub did in my case not make a noticeable difference.

This costed me around £70, £40 for the Maplin DA, £10 for the poowered USB hub and £20 for the Apple lightning to camera adapter (to get female USB) and left me a bit unhappy. Not at all as good as analouge out from the 30 pin connectors on the old iPhones.

But I wouldn't be Linnofil if I didn't searched for a solution, and so I did...

My new and much better solution costed me £2. Bargain of the year?

I bought this for 25 SEK (£2):
http://www.biltema.se/sv/Kontor---Tekni ... rtId=24191

This bluetooth DA is powered by a apple 30 pin connector. So the true cost of this should include a USB power adapter (I use a small Apple) and a 30 pin cable from the older type of iPhones. I had both already so no added cost for me. I tried to power this from the iphone (camera adapter) and this worked, but did not sound as good as when powered from the USB/wall adapter. But for portable use this is a possibility.

I'm really happy with this solution. I stream FLAC over WLAN from my LS-NAS to the iPhone with the PlugPlayer app and my garden shed is now rocking again! Much more music than with the Maplin DA. (With the same 3,5 mm to RCA cable.)

This is an item that is on sale and it is not going to be restocked by Biltema. If you want one, act now! I just bought an extra spare 2 days ago, cheap!
Thanks for the tip, I willl def get one or ten from my local Biltema.

A few question. Did it sound(musically) better than taking the analog signal out from the 30pin connector on your iphone 4/4s?

Did the music vary with the direction you put the Apple-charger into the wall/ have you tried with the Ipad double power charger?

How does it sound sound-wise?

My friend had this Sony MBR-100 that we used to up the music a littbit from the old iPhones. Ill try to get hold of one of those and compare again. Not that I have any use of any of this, just for fun.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Cheap bluetooth DAC

Post by Linnofil »

Lego wrote:Sorry Linnofil I wasn't actually recommending the dac I was just saying it sounded better than 200GBP dacs I compared it with on my dell mini @ 29 GBP ...
Hi Lego, no apologies needed! It was my decision and I was curious about it, since I didn't have a good way to get music out from the Iphone 5s before. It was better than the headset out and I may find another use for it in the future. I was actually contemplating the Arcam rDock-Uni, but since I read that Apple released digital USB audio with the iOS7 I decided to test the cheaper Maplin alternative. I actually think the Arcam is a bit to expensive compared to the real stuff (a used Sneaky or Majik DS). But if it sounds good it might be worth the premium price.
Lego wrote:how do you power it with the mains
I have an old style 30 pin to USB Apple cable (from a iPhone <4s) and a newer slim eurostyle Apple USB charger (from a iPhone 5s). I need to test more USB wall adapters to see if I can get more performance out of it.
Lego wrote:is the dac inside the bluetooth device better than the one in iPhone 5
Yes, it does sound a lot better than the analouge headset output on the iPhone 5s. Much more music!
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

doze84 wrote:Thanks for the tip, I willl def get one or ten from my local Biltema.
Dont buy to many, let others enjoy them to! :-)
doze84 wrote:Did it sound(musically) better than taking the analog signal out from the 30pin connector on your iphone 4/4s?
I haven't compared them. I will see if I can do that. But my memory says yes.
doze84 wrote:Did the music vary with the direction you put the Apple-charger into the wall/ have you tried with the Ipad double power charger?
Yes, one direction is clearly better. Thats one of the reasons I want to try more USB wall adapters.
doze84 wrote:How does it sound sound-wise?
Not a supersmooth sound compared to the Maplin DAC. A bit more harsh and distorted, but clearly more music. I was a bit surprised by that since I expected that the full bitrate in the Maplin DAC would get me better performance than from the bluetooth device that is limited to 384 kbit/s.