External DAC

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Briain

Post by Briain »

Hi

Anyone any thoughts on a DAC that broadly has a similar sound quality and balance to that from a Linn ADS level of product?

I'm currently using an ADSM (fixed output) to decode the digital (stereo) from Sky+ and that then feeds into my KK's balanced input (I have a KDS/1 feeding it's unbalanced input) which feeds 350A and a 345 (which is actually fed by a DSP to time align it and to provide filtration in the digital domain; the results are stunning). :)

Prior to that, I had exactly the same setup, but instead with a MDSI (power amp off) to do the Sky+ DAC aspect (and feeding a spare unbalanced KK input).

Upgrading to the ADSM made a significant difference to the sound (when watching high quality material - recent BBC dramas and the likes - the voices are a lot more realistic and the bass weight, extension and definition is clearly better). Given the less than perfect source (lossy signal from satellite feed) I was quite surprised that it made a difference, but it did (and a very nice one, at that).

So, I'd now love to move the ADSM into another room, but equally, I don't want to lose all the great improvements (over the MDSI) that the ADSM DAC currently brings to the TV sound, so I am pondering which DAC might do the job. In the past, I have asked a similar question on the Linn forum and various folks proposed various devices, but I'm not sure that any of these have been directly compared to an ADS, or ADSM in DAC mode (by someone with a Klimax system, for example), so it's difficult to be sure what they would sound like, when used in such a roll; it's not possible to benchmark them unless someone has actually tried such a comparison.

Anyhow, just thought I'd ask the question in case anyone has recently played with anything cool and can thus steer me in the right direction (or indeed any direction)!

Bri :)

NB Prefer to have a balanced output as it has a 3 m cable run to the KK (and I already have Linn 'Silver' XLR cables for it).
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

There is an interesting post from the Linn Forum, but unfortunately no direct comparison to the ADSM:

http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread. ... #pid174851

AFAIK, the Mytek was launched in 2011

KR

Matt
Briain

Post by Briain »

Hi Matt

Interesting, but as you say, the lack of any direct comparison is the key problem. To be honest, it's been so difficult to find someone who has directly compared such things that I've almost given up looking. That said, I've just been told (by someone with a KDS) about a high end DAC that sounded rather good, and I believe it's 'little brother' model is available nearby, so if I decide to go down that route (I've had another idea that I wish to first research), I'll contact the shop and see if I can either borrow it (with a view to buying it, if it sounds any good) or if borrowing it isn't an option, taking an ADSM round to benchmark it (as it isn't a Linn shop). If that ever happens, I'll post back with my findings.

As to the last post in that Linn thread, it was the authors first and last ever post on the Linn forum and it claims the Mytec device is fantastic; call me Mr Suspicious, but it makes me wonder if he maybe works for (or even owns) the Mytec company?

Bri :-)

Edit: The original plan was to move my ADSM to the bedroom and use the MDSI (from the MDSI and 2250 bedroom system) for the kitchen, but the 'other idea' mentioned above is to leave things just as they are (MDSI is probably good enough for a bedroom system; I'll think a lot more about that one), then take the S/PDIF output from the ADSM (in my lounge) and feed it into an S/PDIF interfaced radio link, then either use its analogue outputs into an IR remote volume controllable amplifier (in the kitchen) or if that sounds poor, instead use its S/PDIF output to feed a DAC (then the IR controllable amp).
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Hi Briain,

I do not think that Ogrady has an affiliation to Mytek, he is a contributor on several forums and AFAIK has a business in the recording industries.

But another DAC with a high reputation comes to my mind:
The Phasure NOS1A DAC from the Netherlands. It is a Non Over-Sampling DAC that needs to be used with a software player and has no DSD capability.
It should be in the league of the DAC in the Klimax DS. I would give it a try.

ATB

Matt
Briain

Post by Briain »

Hi

Ah; thank you for that information and multiple mega-apologies to Ogrady for suspecting any marketing nefariousness!

All the best
Bri
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Briain,

Given your enduring and familiair relationship with Linn products wouldn´t a Klimax Renew DS not suit the bill?

The newer KRDS1 is quite a notch above the ADSMs streamer capabilities, while the KRDS0 is moreover different - less straightforward/more laidback than the ADSM, though both still have the Linn signature that you´re known with - but also rather affordable nowadays.

Both devices also feature balanced outputs.

Cheers,

Marco
;-)
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Cheap bluetooth DAC

Post by Lego »

Linnofil wrote:
Lego wrote:Sorry Linnofil I wasn't actually recommending the dac I was just saying it sounded better than 200GBP dacs I compared it with on my dell mini @ 29 GBP ...
Hi Lego, no apologies needed! It was my decision and I was curious about it, since I didn't have a good way to get music out from the Iphone 5s before. It was better than the headset out and I may find another use for it in the future. I was actually contemplating the Arcam rDock-Uni, but since I read that Apple released digital USB audio with the iOS7 I decided to test the cheaper Maplin alternative. I actually think the Arcam is a bit to expensive compared to the real stuff (a used Sneaky or Majik DS). But if it sounds good it might be worth the premium price.
Lego wrote:how do you power it with the mains
I have an old style 30 pin to USB Apple cable (from a iPhone <4s) and a newer slim eurostyle Apple USB charger (from a iPhone 5s). I need to test more USB wall adapters to see if I can get more performance out of it.
Lego wrote:is the dac inside the bluetooth device better than the one in iPhone 5
Yes, it does sound a lot better than the analouge headset output on the iPhone 5s. Much more music!
are you sure listening to iPhone 5 through headphone amp is hearing i5 dac ..what we need in phones are line outs ..which I'm sure the Chinese ones have with sabre dacs ..I'd love to hear the my note 2 wolfson via line out ..bluetooth dacs are a good way to avoid usb which I use now (wolfson)
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Linnofil wrote:
doze84 wrote:Thanks for the tip, I willl def get one or ten from my local Biltema.
Dont buy to many, let others enjoy them to! :-)
doze84 wrote:Did it sound(musically) better than taking the analog signal out from the 30pin connector on your iphone 4/4s?
I haven't compared them. I will see if I can do that. But my memory says yes.
doze84 wrote:Did the music vary with the direction you put the Apple-charger into the wall/ have you tried with the Ipad double power charger?
Yes, one direction is clearly better. Thats one of the reasons I want to try more USB wall adapters.
O
doze84 wrote:How does it sound sound-wise?
Not a supersmooth sound compared to the Maplin DAC. A bit more harsh and distorted, but clearly more music. I was a bit surprised by that since I expected that the full bitrate in the Maplin DAC would get me better performance than from the bluetooth device that is limited to 384 kbit/s.
are you sure maplin dac is unlocking digital output from iPhone 5 Linnofil
I know that tune
doze84

Re:

Post by doze84 »

Linnofil wrote:
doze84 wrote:Thanks for the tip, I willl def get one or ten from my local Biltema.
Dont buy to many, let others enjoy them to! :-)
doze84 wrote:Did it sound(musically) better than taking the analog signal out from the 30pin connector on your iphone 4/4s?
I haven't compared them. I will see if I can do that. But my memory says yes.
doze84 wrote:Did the music vary with the direction you put the Apple-charger into the wall/ have you tried with the Ipad double power charger?
Yes, one direction is clearly better. Thats one of the reasons I want to try more USB wall adapters.
doze84 wrote:How does it sound sound-wise?
Not a supersmooth sound compared to the Maplin DAC. A bit more harsh and distorted, but clearly more music. I was a bit surprised by that since I expected that the full bitrate in the Maplin DAC would get me better performance than from the bluetooth device that is limited to 384 kbit/s.
I sent my friend this bluetooth receiver, which is by the way nowhere to be found anymore, the stores that stil had them in Januar had thrown them in the garbage bin at the arrival of the new catalog i februar, oh what a waste!

But my friend made some experimenting with it and said that it performed best on volume 3 and 6(on the iPhone/mb air), which is odd, but i guess with the amount of engineering put into creating this little thing, anything can happen. He also, found it to be much more hifi and musical when using his macbook air for streaming.

In previous tests like few years back, we found the bluetooth transmitter in iPhones to be supperiour to other phones. Now it seems that they're pretty bad compared to macbook airs. What's your experiences linnofil?

I would love to try back-engineering this little thing, scale it and se it it's possible to make it sound better. I don't know would there be any copyright regulations to an insignificant and discontinued product like this?