The Linn forum is officially dead

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Re: The Linn forum is officially dead

Post by pidge22 »

I think it would be an ideal time for an "Unofficial Linn Forum" to be put together by ex Linn forum members replicating the old Linn forums but with more freedom & even a classfieds section for Linn products !..

Something similar to the Unofficial Cyrus Forum. http://www.rdhworld.co.uk/phpBB3/app.php/portal
KDSM2,Klimax Solo's/1,Lp12,Keel,Radikal/1,Aro,Kandid,Tron Seven,Akurate 242's
Starman

Post by Starman »

pidge22 wrote:I think it would be an ideal time for an "Unofficial Linn Forum" to be put together by ex Linn forum members replicating the old Linn forums but with more freedom & even a classfieds section for Linn products !..
Its a good idea, but who is going to moderate it?
pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Post by pidge22 »

Starman wrote:
pidge22 wrote:I think it would be an ideal time for an "Unofficial Linn Forum" to be put together by ex Linn forum members replicating the old Linn forums but with more freedom & even a classfieds section for Linn products !..
Its a good idea, but who is going to moderate it?
I am sure there would be enough Ex Linn Forum members who would assist with moderation I certainly would...
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Something similar to the Unofficial Cyrus Forum. http://www.rdhworld.co.uk/phpBB3/app.php/portal
Great idea!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

It is certainly what makes the most sense. The topica Linn list that Fredrik used to run was a popular forum with a lot of worthwhile content. It died within months of Linn creating their own forum as the Linn forum was easier to use and visually a lot better plus, of course, it was official.

So now that Linn have dumped the forum idea, an unofficial Linn forum moderated by members is the most likely thing to properly replace it.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

ThomasOK wrote:It is certainly what makes the most sense. The topica Linn list that Fredrik used to run was a popular forum with a lot of worthwhile content. It died within months of Linn creating their own forum as the Linn forum was easier to use and visually a lot better plus, of course, it was official.

So now that Linn have dumped the forum idea, an unofficial Linn forum moderated by members is the most likely thing to properly replace it.
hifikabin already exists
hifiwigwam, as I understand it, will have contributions from the Linn R&D team

So perhaps there is already enough coverage?
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
pidge22
Very active member
Very active member

Post by pidge22 »

sunbeamgls wrote:
ThomasOK wrote:It is certainly what makes the most sense. The topica Linn list that Fredrik used to run was a popular forum with a lot of worthwhile content. It died within months of Linn creating their own forum as the Linn forum was easier to use and visually a lot better plus, of course, it was official.

hifikabin already exists
hifiwigwam, as I understand it, will have contributions from the Linn R&D team

So perhaps there is already enough coverage?
Hifi Kabin isn’t Linn specific is it ? And i find the Wigwam forum very cliquey....
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

^
It is not Linn specific, but my understanding is that it was created by ex-Linn forum people.

You will see in there lots of use of the letter k and there is a top of list section just for the LP12, so its Linn centric if not Linn exclusive.

You need to have a thicker skin for Hifi Wigwam, but its less acerbic than it used to be, plus, they have a great annual show.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

sunbeamgls wrote:Older products supported for free (to Linn) by a community means higher second hand values, which means more existing owners can sell that kit for a good price and afford new kit. It also provides continuing support for new kit when it gets old, which means that customers feel more comfortable in buying expensive gear for the long term.
Now, as a customer, you can think, hmmm, when Linn stops support, what do I do? Do I want to spend so much on equipment that cannot be supported beyond the manufacturer's decisions? Or do I buy from a manufacturer with a vibrant community that continues the support unofficially?
I’ve often wondered why Linn doesn’t embrace the used market. With their transferable warranties and 5 year warranties on upgraded components, I’m sure it would help to ease the purchase of new equipment for upgraders, generate a bit of extra turnover for the dealers and provide a safe and reliable entry to the world of Linn for those with more modest means.

“Unofficial” support from Linn sounds quite intriguing. I can’t help but imagine Philbo posting to the Wam into the early hours whilst hiding under his bed :-)
Andrew L

Post by Andrew L »

In the light of the forum's move to HiFi Wigwam, Linn's unexpected attendance of the Wigwam show last March (a show for enthusiasts' systems rather than trade exhibitors) can now perhaps be seen in a new light.
Andrew L
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Andrew L wrote:In the light of the forum's move to HiFi Wigwam, Linn's unexpected attendance of the Wigwam show last March (a show for enthusiasts' systems rather than trade exhibitors) can now perhaps be seen in a new light.
That was driven by Keith, who is no longer there, so Im not sure there's a direct connection. That visit was to promote Exakt.Design but the Linn R&D team did post in the related threads at the time.
Andrew L

Post by Andrew L »

I was looking more at the subsequent spin-offs of their attendance rather than the overt reason for exhibiting. Perhaps seeds were sown at the time.
Andrew L
Wiltshireman

Post by Wiltshireman »

I too am very disappointed that the Linn forum has been closed down but in retrospect I am not at all surprised.

When I had an all Naim (well mostly) system I was always aware that Linn didn't support their old customers to the same extent that Naim did with repairs. This told me that they didn't really have any real respect for the buying public and when I decided to change my allegiance to Linn stuff I made sure there was private repairs to be had and or cheap replacements if necessary of any items if need be. Their stuff doesn't hold its value when compared to Naim so it would always be easy to replace or even upgrade to and fairly cheaply.

I never read other forums as I had little interest in others systems so when I went all Linn I of course signed up immediately though because of my 30 or so years Naim experience I still visit Naim forum occasionally to offer any words of wisdom I can muster.

Now that Linn has gone I found myself needing to read what others make of it all so now I have visited wigwag and here of course but I doubt I will be a regular, it's all left me with a nasty taste and I am not sure I can be bothered anymore.

I will continue to keep my present system as at my age I have no more interest in looking at changing to other gear like some are intimating here and on wigwam. Peter at Cymbiosis will continue to fettle my LP12 as and when but thats about it. Before I sign off can I say a big thankyou to those Linnies who helped my sort out my many problems over the years and especially I would like to thank Timster for being such a friend and to tell him that I finally found out what was giving me so much grief. Since I have stopped switching off my wifi splitter when I powered down my system I have had absolutely no problems with my streaming, everything now works all the time!!!

I must thank this forum for allowing all us Linn forum folk use them for this totally unnecessary purpose. The forum should still exist!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I kinda feel similar to you about the Linn forum.

Keep spinnin' those LPs. Thanks for posting. All the best Wiltshireman.
Turnip

Post by Turnip »

I recall Steve from Texas running the Topica forum. It was a relic in the technology used but great when exposing Linn’s Unidisk & Kisto shambles. It had a Proboards equivalent, which never took off, but now there’s a vacuum and I doubt being buried on a generic board will last for long.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Turnip wrote:

I recall Steve from Texas running the Topica forum. It was a relic in the technology used but great when exposing Linn’s Unidisk & Kisto shambles. It had a Proboards equivalent, which never took off, but now there’s a vacuum and I doubt being buried on a generic board will last for long.
Yes, I handed it over to Steve when after a couple of years I found myself in a situation where I didn't have time for it. Then I started my own company, website and this forum.
ogni

Post by ogni »

Wiltshireman wrote: 2018-10-15 22:33 I too am very disappointed that the Linn forum has been closed down but in retrospect I am not at all surprised.

When I had an all Naim (well mostly) system I was always aware that Linn didn't support their old customers to the same extent that Naim did with repairs. This told me that they didn't really have any real respect for the buying public and when I decided to change my allegiance to Linn stuff I made sure there was private repairs to be had and or cheap replacements if necessary of any items if need be. Their stuff doesn't hold its value when compared to Naim so it would always be easy to replace or even upgrade to and fairly cheaply.

I never read other forums as I had little interest in others systems so when I went all Linn I of course signed up immediately though because of my 30 or so years Naim experience I still visit Naim forum occasionally to offer any words of wisdom I can muster.

Now that Linn has gone I found myself needing to read what others make of it all so now I have visited wigwag and here of course but I doubt I will be a regular, it's all left me with a nasty taste and I am not sure I can be bothered anymore.

I will continue to keep my present system as at my age I have no more interest in looking at changing to other gear like some are intimating here and on wigwam. Peter at Cymbiosis will continue to fettle my LP12 as and when but thats about it. Before I sign off can I say a big thankyou to those Linnies who helped my sort out my many problems over the years and especially I would like to thank Timster for being such a friend and to tell him that I finally found out what was giving me so much grief. Since I have stopped switching off my wifi splitter when I powered down my system I have had absolutely no problems with my streaming, everything now works all the time!!!

I must thank this forum for allowing all us Linn forum folk use them for this totally unnecessary purpose. The forum should still exist!
Hi,

I’m quite feeling the same as many others here do, but finally it made it an easy task for me to sell all my Linn gear and swap to Naim. As I’ve owned Linn gear for over 18 years, it was time since I felt Linn went a route I was unwilling to follow with more and more investments involved and changing their sound signature to something extremely analytical but not swinging anymore. The closure of the forum clearly has shown their disrespect towards Linn long term customers. Have a good time all together.

Cheers

Ogni
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

well in my case its the other way around - switching down the Linn forum made me read and contribute to this forum much more and through some little tweeks and information and help my system now sounds much better than before without having to invest a lot of money.
So thank you Linn ;)

But more I have to thank this forum.

This forum is much more helpfull to me than the Linn forum was even though I miss some of the Linn forum members. I am not registering to wigwam and I am also not following the invite of the Linn development forum as I feel Linn is not going to listen anyway.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Linn seems to have time to be involved in a low-brow TV programme but not to moderate a community of customer advocates.

Go figure.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I had a skip through the programme yesterday. It was all quite daft, as to be expected I guess.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Just tried to find a couple of old threads of the dead Linn Forum on the wayback machine but no results

Has someone tried this successfully?

M
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I just got something I was after.

What is it you're looking for?

Think you have to select a blue circled entry as the other colours are redirects or missing pages.

They don't archive everything of course. I was after something in the sticky thread so wasn't so bad.