Shorter pressing process

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Shorter pressing process

Post by bonzo »

Does anyone have any experience with these “special releases”.

https://www.musicdirect.com/marving-gay ... p-box-set)

Looks like one of the steps in pressing process has been eliminated. Anxious to hear any feedback from the group
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Shorter pressing process

Post by bonzo »

Hello all. I was really hoping for some feedback here.. ?
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

I $plurged on the recent Simon & Garfunkel UltraDisc One Step “Bridge Over Troubled Water” and, whilst both mastering and pressing is impeccable, I still get that niggling feeling that natural musicality and interplay is eschewed in favour of sonic mastery. The vinyl is the best I’ve seen out of the US - flat and clean; no issues there. However, was surprised that the gatefold cover was visibly scratched in several places. Quality control personnel were either on coffee break, or such finishing touches aren’t deemed essential. Not impressive for a premium product that retails north of GBP125.
I notice that the next release reflects another price hike; wonder why. Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Goin’ On” is more important to me than Simon & Garfunkel but think I’ll pass until they improve their production line.
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

moog_man wrote:I $plurged on the recent Simon & Garfunkel UltraDisc One Step “Bridge Over Troubled Water” and, whilst both mastering and pressing is impeccable, I still get that niggling feeling that natural musicality and interplay is eschewed in favour of sonic mastery. The vinyl is the best I’ve seen out of the US - flat and clean; no issues there. However, was surprised that the gatefold cover was visibly scratched in several places. Quality control personnel were either on coffee break, or such finishing touches aren’t deemed essential. Not impressive for a premium product that retails north of GBP125.
I notice that the next release reflects another price hike; wonder why. Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Goin’ On” is more important to me than Simon & Garfunkel but think I’ll pass until they improve their production line.
125£?

:-(
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I have recently compared a number of "audiophile" pressings (Mobile Fidelity 1980's, MoFi 2000's and Analogue Productions) against US original pressings. Not a single audiophile pressing was better, but in fact much worse in most cases. The timing was totaly off on the remastered Time Out by Brubeck, all the joyful spirit and the melody was totally gone on Getz/Gilberto, Steely Dan's Aja lost all of its punch on the MoFi remaster, as did Elvis' From Elvis In Memphis. Never an audiophile pressing or digital remaster again for me.
I also compared the US original of Tim Buckley's Blue Afternoon against a digitally remastered reissue from 2001 (also US pressing). While this is not an "easy" recording, it was rendered nigh incomprehensible on the reissue: totally chaotic, it sounded like the band forgot to rehearse.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I am not “shaken” or “stirred” by these observations. To think that the music is always present on the recording is long gone..........
Playing cd’s…………
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

Matteo wrote:
125£?

:-(
I know !!!

I mainly bought it for ‘Cecilia’ - one of my first ever purchases as a kid once I had pocket money. Talk about excessive indulgence...
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225