Linn announcements 9/2018, Selekt, etc.

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Moomintroll

Re: Linn announcements 9/2018, Selekt, etc.

Post by Moomintroll »

Interesting article in Positive Feedback. https://positive-feedback.com/audio-dis ... o-the-usa/

Confirmation that the new SO will be available to “suitability equipped customers”. I assume that to mean ones with internet access and a tape measure, but there may be more to it.

I found the article to be an interesting perspective on Linn’s (lack of) presence in the US market.

‘troll
Denoontje

Post by Denoontje »

just as I saw the box today on the XFI show

select basic
select with katalist
select with katalist and akurate 2200

all on a wilson benesch square 3

Demo was to show the differences between the models via tunedem.

NIce demo too short ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fschmeis

Post by fschmeis »

does anybody know whether class D will be rolled out to Chakra (4200 and twin) and solos? May be as an upgrade?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Denoontje wrote:just as I saw the box today on the XFI show

select basic
select with katalist

NIce demo too short ;-)
Please elaborate.
And...non Linn speakers? Brand and model?
It's all about musical understanding!
mcgillroy

Post by mcgillroy »

Moomintroll wrote:Interesting article in Positive Feedback. https://positive-feedback.com/audio-dis ... o-the-usa/

Confirmation that the new SO will be available to “suitability equipped customers”. I assume that to mean ones with internet access and a tape measure, but there may be more to it.

I found the article to be an interesting perspective on Linn’s (lack of) presence in the US market.

‘troll
Looks like they keep SO tweakable. But at the same time I guess the online-talk about SO-tweaking is really not to their liking. Linn's brand always was about "no tweaks necessary" and if you want to tweak here are your upgrade option.

Being able to dial-in SO to ones room is important. Every room is different & furniture changes over time.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Just arrived back from X-Fi in the Netherlands.
Linn were very busy and conducted permanently demos around 20 min, typical tune dem A-A-B, all filled up to the last place.
They showed the module with XLR and RCA outputs.
In the middle of this module is a small plastic box which contains the DAC, quasi a module inside the module, easily removable within seconds.
Selekt converts phono signals to digital.
A short demo of Klimax Sondek with Urika2 connected to Selekt sounded emotionlessly.
My impression:
The target audience for Selekt are B&O customers.
Maybe the reason that the B&O system in my car at he return trip was as enjoyable as Selekt:-)

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Music Lover wrote:
Denoontje wrote:just as I saw the box today on the XFI show

select basic
select with katalist

NIce demo too short ;-)
Please elaborate.
And...non Linn speakers? Brand and model?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

A small addendum:
I asked a Linn guy about Qobuz vs. Tidal: Qobuz seems to be more musical.

Matt
Matt

timster

Post by timster »

Moomintroll wrote:Interesting article in Positive Feedback. https://positive-feedback.com/audio-dis ... o-the-usa/

‘troll
Yes, interesting. The over-riding thing I got from that is that he doesn't understand SO or SO+/Exakt. Hardly surprising seeing as he's been out of the loop for over 10 years. Still - SO is not crossovers. Nor is SO+ anything other than SO for Exakt (nowt to do with Sekret). And when he says "Exakt links (option)" as if you could just plug in a module....

Linn really need to employ a Professor Emeritus for the Public Understanding of Linn (PEPUL) ;)
AEDSM (AKA ASH) -> AEBox10 -> M6100 + M2100 -> M140 + REL T5
timster

Post by timster »

On second reading. There was a lot on DSD support, which seems very important in the US market. I wonder if Gilad mentioned that it's only supported on the Katalyst version? And that it's not compatible with SO? Or, and this would be quite important, does the new SO get around that?
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

mcgillroy wrote:

‘troll
Looks like they keep SO tweakable. But at the same time I guess the online-talk about SO-tweaking is really not to their liking. Linn's brand always was about "no tweaks necessary" and if you want to tweak here are your upgrade option.

Being able to dial-in SO to ones room is important. Every room is different & furniture changes over time.
That’s an interesting point you make about the online talk of SO tweaking. I’ve always been in favour of advising people how to use SO, but have never agreed with the prescriptive approach that says “do this and this, because Linn have it wrong”. I’ve tried some of these suggestions and they certainly make a difference, but they don’t make the tune easier to hear and follow. I currently have my system set up by following Linn SO guidelines and it sounds great - by that, I mean tunes are easier to follow. In fact, it’s surprising how tuneful even MP3 radio can be. Interestingly, all of the adjustments I’ve made to SO have been very small.

‘troll
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Moomintroll wrote:
mcgillroy wrote:

‘troll

That’s an interesting point you make about the online talk of SO tweaking. I’ve always been in favour of advising people how to use SO, but have never agreed with the prescriptive approach that says “do this and this, because Linn have it wrong”. I’ve tried some of these suggestions and they certainly make a difference, but they don’t make the tune easier to hear and follow. I currently have my system set up by following Linn SO guidelines and it sounds great - by that, I mean tunes are easier to follow. In fact, it’s surprising how tuneful even MP3 radio can be. Interestingly, all of the adjustments I’ve made to SO have been very small.

‘troll
With each iteration, SO has become more accurate using its calculated settings. Originally mine was very heavily modified (because SO was taking out too much energy, presumably because it was dealing with a bare room model and not allowing for furnishings, carpets etc.). Now, I have a couple of custom filters that are very minor tweaks of the calculated settings with the other 3 notches at the calculated values. I think this is a combination of improvements in the software and possibly the improvements in my system too. It will be interesting to see how the new SO works and hopefully "suitably equipped users" will be those that choose to be so, and not dictated by Linn. I think the move to cloud calculations will bring a major benefit to Linn - assuming they collate the settings actually implemented by dealers and "suitably equipped users" so that they can learn from what people are happy listening to. But its only a good thing if the system can still be used locally (perhaps with the older, less rich functionality) to guard against loss of Linn's continuing existence or continuing support.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

timster wrote:On second reading. There was a lot on DSD support, which seems very important in the US market. I wonder if Gilad mentioned that it's only supported on the Katalyst version? And that it's not compatible with SO? Or, and this would be quite important, does the new SO get around that?
AFAIK, DSD support only with Katalyst and SO works only in the PCM domain.

Matt
Matt

timster

Post by timster »

matthias wrote:
timster wrote:On second reading. There was a lot on DSD support, which seems very important in the US market. I wonder if Gilad mentioned that it's only supported on the Katalyst version? And that it's not compatible with SO? Or, and this would be quite important, does the new SO get around that?

Matt
Exaktly. Neither was mentioned in the positive feedback report.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

‘troll
Also interesting in the article was this:-

“New products would be coming online, and their lines would be simplified for the sake of clarity and cost-effectiveness”.

‘Simplified’?
Andrew L

Post by Andrew L »

timster wrote:
matthias wrote:

Matt
Exaktly. Neither was mentioned in the positive feedback report.
It is the positive feedback report after all!
Andrew L
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Wolfie wrote:

‘troll
Also interesting in the article was this:-

“New products would be coming online, and their lines would be simplified for the sake of clarity and cost-effectiveness”.

‘Simplified’?
Not sure what you’re questioning there, wolfie?

In the new Selekt range, there is only one “product” a DSM. That then has a number of available options/upgrades. Not sure how it could be simplified from that?

‘troll
Jumanji

Post by Jumanji »

I think it might refer to eliminating the DS products. And personally I did find it a bit confusing (DS, DSM some with, some without Exakt links, some with some without analog output).
J.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Jumanji wrote:I think it might refer to eliminating the DS products. And personally I did find it a bit confusing (DS, DSM some with, some without Exakt links, some with some without analog output).
J.
Exakt only output is renamed now:

https://www.linn.co.uk/music-systems/kl ... sic-player

Matt
Matt

Jumanji

Post by Jumanji »

matthias wrote:
Jumanji wrote:I think it might refer to eliminating the DS products. And personally I did find it a bit confusing (DS, DSM some with, some without Exakt links, some with some without analog output).
J.

Matt
Yeah, that makes it a lot easier to understand ;-)
timster

Post by timster »

matthias wrote:
J.

Matt
If anything it should be Exakt System Hub.
So, signature will have to change. ASH, or AESH? Seeing as mine's a Hybrid system, maybe MASH?
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Jumanji wrote:
matthias wrote:
J.

Matt
Yeah, that makes it a lot easier to understand ;-)
Ah, the device formerly known as...

‘troll
Jumanji

Post by Jumanji »

I think there is further room for improvement…

There is no Majik System Hub, only a Majik DSM. However this DSM even has a power amplifier, different from the other DSM, except the Selekt in case you order the amplifier cartridge which makes it a System Hub or not? Still confused… ;-)

J.
Jumanji

Post by Jumanji »

timster wrote:
matthias wrote:
J.

Matt
If anything it should be Exakt System Hub.
So, signature will have to change. ASH, or AESH? Seeing as mine's a Hybrid system, maybe MASH?
I think you nailed it...
Music at Home

Post by Music at Home »

matthias wrote:
J.

Matt
Still a bit confusing. It doesn't explain that you need to connect this to an Exakt box or Exakt integrated speakers as there is no analogue output stage. This part confuses things further:

"Every source connected benefits from our best audio circuitry and the audio isolation provided by the Klimax machined-from-solid aluminium enclosure."