Linn announcements 9/2018, Selekt, etc.

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

teatime

Re: Linn announcements 9/2018, Selekt, etc.

Post by teatime »

Well.. the new SO is not working too well here. In fact, not at all. It claims I need to "use Konfig to add speakers to an Exakt system".. but I don't have an Exakt system. And the speakers are of course added in Konfig. So that's me stuck.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Charly, surely the whole idea is that, with a comprehensively modelled room, you won’t have filters which need to be dropped, or custom filters which need to be created. I’ve had a cursory read through the instruction manual and am really impressed with the options they’ve introduced.

Should you be unhappy with the new approach, you can stay with the Konfig method and your custom filters.

‘troll
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Jumanji wrote:You might find this link interesting ;-)

http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/images/8/82 ... sation.pdf

J.
Yes, very interesting. Thank you.

Linn have obviously put a tremendous number of hours into the development of SO. I haven’t used SO+ for ages, but earlier today I thought I’d give it another try. All I can say atm is the current SO+ is nothing like the SO+ we’ve had in the past. I want to do some serious testing before I make a final decision, but initial impressions are very good. Unadjusted SO+ settings of the past have been pretty poor but with the current unadjusted SO+ calculated settings, I’m sitting here thinking HTF have they done this? With a bit of tweaking .... who knows? I’m looking forward to trying the latest super dooper on line version when it’s available.
mcgillroy

Post by mcgillroy »

Interesting PDF. Anbody tried this:

"§1.3 Importing a previous optimisation
In the case that your Linn DS/DSM system has already been optimised, through either Linn Konfig or a different Linn account, a Space tab will be visible on the Music Systems page for that system, as shown below."

Would this allow to retain ones custom optimisations?

I won't update until the dust has settled. My room is fairly rectangular but has some big nooks that SO didn't model to well.
Jumanji

Post by Jumanji »

I think it does state that you can import your Konfig settings and keep using them, albeit not modify with the Web version. But nothing stops you from continuing to use or even create new filters in Konfig (and import into the Web version if you like).
J.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

teatime wrote:Well.. the new SO is not working too well here. In fact, not at all. It claims I need to "use Konfig to add speakers to an Exakt system".. but I don't have an Exakt system. And the speakers are of course added in Konfig. So that's me stuck.
I’m getting the same thing. I have Urika II so possibly that makes the system think I have a full blown Exakt setup, but I can go no further.

Mick
Peter@57m

Post by Peter@57m »

As I have a non Exakt system, I thought I'd give it a try. Entered detailed room info, with two alcoves, several doors and windows, entered ideal and practical speaker positions, listening position and hit calculate.

And got "Optimisation Calculation Failed" with no further explanation :-(

Went back into it and no indication of where the problem lies.

So emailed Linn HelpLine as there is no forum.....................................sigh

I assume from posts above that some of you have it working
teatime

Post by teatime »

Wolfie wrote:
teatime wrote:Well.. the new SO is not working too well here. In fact, not at all. It claims I need to "use Konfig to add speakers to an Exakt system".. but I don't have an Exakt system. And the speakers are of course added in Konfig. So that's me stuck.
I’m getting the same thing. I have Urika II so possibly that makes the system think I have a full blown Exakt setup, but I can go no further.

Mick
Right, same here. Urika II. Ridiculous bug.
Charly

Post by Charly »

Moomintroll wrote:Charly, surely the whole idea is that, with a comprehensively modelled room, you won’t have filters which need to be dropped, or custom filters which need to be created. I’ve had a cursory read through the instruction manual and am really impressed with the options they’ve introduced.

Should you be unhappy with the new approach, you can stay with the Konfig method and your custom filters.

‘troll
Hi Moomintroll,

you are right and i'm also impressed with the new options. In the past every new version of SO / SO+ was an improvement (eg the individual filter by speaker).

I expect that the new version will fix some of my room issues (eg the decay time) but i also assume that some of my issues still need some manual adjustments (usual 80 / 20 rule). I would like to have the best from both worlds and it would be annoying to lose the current options for manual adjustments.
Klimax DSM / Exaktbox Katalyst, C6100, Ninka, Exaktbox Sub, Sizmik,
Klimax Renew, LK140, Nexus
timster

Post by timster »

Very positive. But the usual " DSD is coming, but MQA remains steadfastly MIA." is there. DSD IS NOT COMING. It has come but you have to choose between it and SO.
Grrr.
AEDSM (AKA ASH) -> AEBox10 -> M6100 + M2100 -> M140 + REL T5
AsianWong

Post by AsianWong »

Peter@57m wrote: So emailed Linn HelpLine as there is no forum.....................................sigh
I've fired my first query to the helpline too. It'll be interesting to see how long it'll take them to reply.

My query, which hasn't ever really being covered in SO is how to deal with an open sided room.
Essentially my living room is a large open plan room extending into a kitchen with breakfast bar and hallway.
I was hoping that I could select a feature as an "opening" but it's only covering doors and windows, which I guess Linn would assume are closed...
sandgrown

Post by sandgrown »

I updated my software last night so I've got the pins. I can't see any use for these within Kazoo, other than perhaps assigning a pin to a specific radio station. So I could have a Radio Paradise pin, instead of having to go to all the trouble of selecting the Radio input AND THEN having to select Radio Paradise! That should shave off a couple of seconds.

So can we assign a playlist to a pin as well? And can we use the remote control inputs as pins?

I might reconfigure my small room which has a Kiko in it, and therefore can use the new Space online system, but my main system with Exakt will have to stay with its Konfig set up for now, although I have successfully transferred those settings over to my new online Linn account.
timster

Post by timster »

sandgrown wrote:I updated my software last night so I've got the pins. I can't see any use for these within Kazoo, other than perhaps assigning a pin to a specific radio station. So I could have a Radio Paradise pin, instead of having to go to all the trouble of selecting the Radio input AND THEN having to select Radio Paradise! That should shave off a couple of seconds.

So can we assign a playlist to a pin as well? And can we use the remote control inputs as pins?

I might reconfigure my small room which has a Kiko in it, and therefore can use the new Space online system, but my main system with Exakt will have to stay with its Konfig set up for now, although I have successfully transferred those settings over to my new online Linn account.
As far as I understand it, Pins can be assigned to anything except UPnP servers (which is coming later apparently). So a playlist in Tidal/Qobuz, but not ones in your server or My Playlists (although I'm not sure why the latter). I think playlists stored in the Linn Cloud as well, but they aren't here yet.
I've set a Pin for my analogue source so I can use an Alexa routine to switch to it whenever I turn on my AV receiver to watch a movie.
Yet to test it but it's a cool idea.
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

sandgrown wrote:I updated my software last night so I've got the pins. I can't see any use for these within Kazoo, other than perhaps assigning a pin to a specific radio station. So I could have a Radio Paradise pin, instead of having to go to all the trouble of selecting the Radio input AND THEN having to select Radio Paradise! That should shave off a couple of seconds.

It’s interesting that it lets you import current Exakt settings to the web, I didn’t think to try that last night.

‘troll
sandgrown

Post by sandgrown »

Yes, it seems to me that when you assign a player on your Network to your Linn account, you can use its existing SO+ config. You won't be able to do anything with it, from within the shiny new webpage, so it seems to me a merely superficial cut 'n' paste.

When I set up the new SO with my Kiko, if I don't like the result or it crashes, I know I can always go back to Konfig.
Jumanji

Post by Jumanji »

sandgrown wrote:Yes, it seems to me that when you assign a player on your Network to your Linn account, you can use its existing SO+ config. You won't be able to do anything with it, from within the shiny new webpage, so it seems to me a merely superficial cut 'n' paste.

When I set up the new SO with my Kiko, if I don't like the result or it crashes, I know I can always go back to Konfig.
Hmm couldn’t do that as I couldn’t add Speakers and I don't have a tab Space... How did you manage?
timster

Post by timster »

timster wrote:

As far as I understand it, Pins can be assigned to anything except UPnP servers (which is coming later apparently). So a playlist in Tidal/Qobuz, but not ones in your server or My Playlists (although I'm not sure why the latter). I think playlists stored in the Linn Cloud as well, but they aren't here yet.
I've set a Pin for my analogue source so I can use an Alexa routine to switch to it whenever I turn on my AV receiver to watch a movie.
Yet to test it but it's a cool idea.
Doesn't work. And it's a Linn IFTTT action. No forum. No one to ask.
sandgrown

Post by sandgrown »

Jumanji wrote:
sandgrown wrote:Yes, it seems to me that when you assign a player on your Network to your Linn account, you can use its existing SO+ config. You won't be able to do anything with it, from within the shiny new webpage, so it seems to me a merely superficial cut 'n' paste.

Hmm couldn’t do that as I couldn’t add Speakers and I don't have a tab Space... How did you manage?
Sorry, Jumanji, I'm at work at the moment, and perhaps my recollection is blurry because I was playing around with it on my ipad before I went to sleep last night. It may well be that I am confusing myself with when I firstly installed the Kiko, which gave me the option to save existing Konfig settings - presumably this is an 'either/or' option where you can choose to 'add speakers' and do a new set-up, or just use your existing Konfig setup.

I then installed my Klimax DSM, and I do recall a message saying that I could only make changes to its existing SO+ from within Konfig, which made me assume that it has simply just imported the existing settings. The fact that it is impossible to make any changes, currently, with an Exakt sytem, makes the use of the online Linn account redundant for now.
timster

Post by timster »

IFTTT applet now working. So Pins also work.
Good to know.
Donald

Post by Donald »

Like many others I'm stuck waiting for the new SO+ for Exakt systems so thought I'd give the new documentation a quick read though.

Certainly seems much more comprehensive (challenging?) than the previous versions with the Advanced setup appearing to provide a lot more in the way of fine grained adjustments. Good to see Virtual Tune Dem being awarded a section on its own (3.5).

Two points did, however, jump out: -

1. When you Login to your Linn Account and want to Add a Music System this is done though Kazoo - hopefully we won't be forced to adopt Kazoo and other options will be available?

2. In the previous versions of the SO documentation advice was presented on how to deal with irregularly shaped rooms with bay windows - this appears to be missing form the current document?

As a person that likes a visual aid I'm disappointed that the the graphical representation of the room modes has disappeared - a bit like looking at a weather map without the isobars!

Hope you don't mind the questions but this is what happens in the absence of a Linn Forum.
LP12/Kore/T2/Akito/Adikt/L4|Akurate DSM|Akurate Exaktbox 10|2 x Akurate 4200/1|Keilidhs
Dobie

Post by Dobie »

Donald wrote: In the previous versions of the SO documentation advice was presented on how to deal with irregularly shaped rooms with bay windows - this appears to be missing form the current document?

Hope you don't mind the questions but this is what happens in the absence of a Linn Forum.
Hi Donald,
It is quite intuitive once you play around with it. Here is my floor plan done this morning showing bay window, alcoves/chimney breast and door returns. you just create as many "corners" as you need and then drag them to the desired shape. All good stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Donald

Post by Donald »

Thanks Dobie - that's very reassuring.

I was confused by the sentence "When dragging corners and walls they will snap to the current grid size; adjacent walls will also prefer to snap to a 90 degree angle."

Looking forward to the new SO+ for Exakt systems ... but when?
LP12/Kore/T2/Akito/Adikt/L4|Akurate DSM|Akurate Exaktbox 10|2 x Akurate 4200/1|Keilidhs
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Hi Donald,

1. I don’t know the answer, but what’s wrong with having to use Kazoo to assign a new system? It’s only one more app to have installed, you don’t have to use it for anything else and, I assume, you won’t add new systems very often.

2. My understanding of the new SO is that it now allows you to add bay windows and chimney breasts as features of the room.

‘troll
Peter@57m

Post by Peter@57m »

No playlists yet - this will have to wait until you can store a playlist in the Linn cloud.

Yes, from the DS remote, press and hold the pin number for 2 seconds.
Donald

Post by Donald »

Moomintroll wrote: 1. I don’t know the answer, but what’s wrong with having to use Kazoo to assign a new system? It’s only one more app to have installed, you don’t have to use it for anything else and, I assume, you won’t add new systems very often.
Noted - just as long as "... you don’t have to use it for anything else"!
Moomintroll wrote: 2. My understanding of the new SO is that it now allows you to add bay windows and chimney breasts as features of the room.
Thanks to Dobie I now understand how this will look in practice.