Linn forum down?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

fredrik

Linn forum down?

Post by fredrik »

It seems HAKAI has destroyed the Linn forum mission accomplished.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Lego »

fredrik wrote:It seems HAKAI has destroyed the Linn forum mission accomplished.
What do you mean Fredrik
I know that tune
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

The Linn Forum has been offline for days...
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Tendaberry wrote:The Linn Forum has been offline for days...
Too long for essential maintenance.
Did they announce what they do?

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I wonder if it is because there was a lot of chatter about the new product(s) and some folk were getting too close
Donuk
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

donuk wrote:I wonder if it is because there was a lot of chatter about the new product(s) and some folk were getting too close. Donuk
Sorry for this being off topic, but that idea has struck me as well.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

It seems as though Linn are determined to not spoil the surprise for their dealers. They announced their dealer conference for last Thursday, but kept quiet about a press day yesterday and another dealer conference today.
There are some rumblings that suggest what they’re introducing is pretty spectacular, but no one is spilling the beans!
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Spannko wrote:It seems as though Linn are determined to not spoil the surprise for their dealers. They announced their dealer conference for last Thursday, but kept quiet about a press day yesterday and another dealer conference today.
There are some rumblings that suggest what they’re introducing is pretty spectacular, but no one is spilling the beans!
Interesting information, thanks for the update. Perhaps the spectacular introduction is an official acknowledgement, and cure for the recently discovered Radikal motor and Trampolin foot design flaw.
Tony Tune-age
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Tony Tune-age wrote:Interesting information, thanks for the update. Perhaps the spectacular introduction is an official acknowledgement, and cure for the recently discovered Radikal motor and Trampolin foot design flaw.
Rumours have it that Linn is launching a new series of electronics between Majik and Akurate, but not speakers. I don't know if there's any truth to it though.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Tendaberry wrote:Rumours have it that Linn is launching a new series of electronics between Majik and Akurate, but not speakers.
'Forum police, arrest this man'
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2018-09-14 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

Thanks for splitting the thread..
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote:
Tony Tune-age wrote:Interesting information, thanks for the update. Perhaps the spectacular introduction is an official acknowledgement, and cure for the recently discovered Radikal motor and Trampolin foot design flaw.
Rumours have it that Linn is launching a new series of electronics between Majik and Akurate, but not speakers. I don't know if there's any truth to it though.
Thanks for the information Tendaberry, it's very much appreciated. Actually, I really didn't have high hopes for Linn correcting the above mentioned design flaw.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Tony Tune-age wrote:
Tendaberry wrote:
Thanks for the information Tendaberry, it's very much appreciated. Actually, I really didn't have high hopes for Linn correcting the above mentioned design flaw.

Cheers
I don’t think that either of those suggestions warrant the level of secrecy that we’re seeing. The clamp down of the forum, as, lets’s be honest, “maintenance” doesn’t take this long, is unprecedented. It would be nice to know when the forum is coming back. That doesn’t need to be kept secret.

‘troll
Briain

Post by Briain »

Hi

It does seem mighty strange; even if they had to install myBB on a completely new physical server and then restore all the data from their backup set, it shouldn't take quite this long to get it all up and running (unless they're uploading it from an antique ReadyNAS and via an ADSL connection, of course)! :-P

Bri
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

One could almost think, that the new range isn't the only thing they're launching. Maybe some new way of reproducing music that's even better than today's Klimax DS/DSM?
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Tendaberry wrote:One could almost think, that the new range isn't the only thing they're launching. Maybe some new way of reproducing music that's even better than today's Klimax DS/DSM?
Hmmm, interesting perspective indeed. Could that mean Linn would stop making the Klimax DS/DSM, and then in a couple of years stop providing any type of service for it (like they have done with so many other components)?
Tony Tune-age
Music at Home

Post by Music at Home »

I wonder, do you think we're being "played", it's all part of the hype machine and build-up. Close the forum down to increase the speculation, intrigue and anticipation. I've noticed loads of Linn banner adverts popping up in my browser on all kinds of websites these last couple of days, certainly a lot more than usual and the photography in the ads all seems to be part of a new marketing campaign.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Linn? Hype? Shirley, you jest :)
Ad-block, FTW ;)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Linn is indeed keeping very mum on this. They are having a US dealer conference on Monday in Chicago to which they invited their top dealers. No hint of what they are bringing out but the are expecting a big splash. They have already booked out musical evenings through the end of the year to introduce the new product(s) to the public.

We just had our Linn Sondek LP12 45th Birthday Party last night, complete with birthday cake, and the Linn rep would only say that it was going to be a big announcement and that the dealer conference would be about more than just new product. Your guess is as good as mine as to what is coming.

The forum is still down so apparently Linn can't figure out another way to keep things quiet. I don't think even Apple, who always tries to have big intro events, has ever shut down a forum for a whole week.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I guess the difficulty is constantly monitoring the forum for news getting out, especially during their out of office hours, such as weekends or overnight when forum members in other parts of the World are busy posting.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

I'm sure that Linn had the best of intentions.... but closing a forum for the patently specious reason of essential maintenance is not going to win friends. As an occasional poster and regular reader, who has attended forum events over the years (LP12 40th and Exakt launch), it feels that previous comments by Linn staff that they value the forums are to be taken with a pinch of salt. If they can't manage a two-week embargo, better they just announce it and keep the forums going. And if the embargo is not the reason, their technical inabilities beggar belief. This is from a company famous for its turntables, which discontinued vinyl (during a vinyl boom) in favour of downloads....

Okay, here is an extract (not embargoed I hope) from the Linn marketing instruction manual:
1. Load shotgun.
2. Aim at foot.
3. Pull trigger.
4. Repeat with other foot.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I thought Linn top brass felt it was a pain the @rse, but kind of better than customers posting on a third party site. They were a slow adopter too, several years behind Naim and the Topica and Pink Fish forums.

I expect the DS Troubleshooting section has been useful, but let’s face it, they'd rather focus on being a successful business than policing an Internet forum, although perhaps you could argue the forum is part of that process (?). Some dealers say that only a small proportion of their Linn customers use the forum anyway.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

The forum probably is a tough job to maintain overall, but at the same time it's an excellent method of communication between Linn and customers. That said, Linn may only care about initial sales and not so much about follow-up service, warranties or legacy components.

I'm still surprised that Linn no longer offers the Dynamik power supply as an upgrade, and I'm still surprised they stopped providing repair services for the Klimax Kontrol along with several other components. In addition, it has become difficult for me to even think about purchasing certain Linn products now, primarily because they might be cancelled soon without any future repair or support service.

As it currently stands, the LP12 continues to be a safe component to spend big money on without fears of being discontinued or loosing service support.
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I didn't know they'd stopped selling dynamik PSUs or repairing KKs. Obviously the forum is not working for me as a way to inform customers. If correct, then that is very poor indeed. If you're someone that purchases Hifi every 10-15 years then that's pretty rubbish and not befitting of an £8k investment :(
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

The Linn forum is an extremely valuable asset. No doubt is the value of the forum noticed inside Linn.
They could have put a notice "not to worry" and "eta" so Linn junkies would not become nervous.
Lejonklou Forum plays a similar part with a core audience that shares ideas. I believe it is a very effective channel.