Linn forum down?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Andrew L

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Andrew L »

anthony wrote:Wonder why the speaker outlets are incorrect colour coding?
Probably phase inverting on the qt"!
Andrew L
Paulq

Post by Paulq »

I am curious as to where this sits. A new Akurate is £7500 and Majik at £3000 yet this is priced at £4000 for the basic version and £6750 for the top end.

Presumably, it will make the Akurate obsolete?

Very strange product segmentation.
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Paulq wrote:I am curious as to where this sits. A new Akurate is £7500 and Majik at £3000 yet this is priced at £4000 for the basic version and £6750 for the top end.

It does not affect akurate. The top end at 6750 contains a power amp.
Paulq

Post by Paulq »

anthony wrote:
Paulq wrote:I am curious as to where this sits. A new Akurate is £7500 and Majik at £3000 yet this is priced at £4000 for the basic version and £6750 for the top end.

It does not affect akurate. The top end at 6750 contains a power amp.
Then that's even more nuts.
Donald

Post by Donald »

Selekt DSM w/ integrated amp and Katalyst £6,750

Unlikely to be Akurate-level technology at that price point although I am intrigued about the "bridged Class-D power amplifier"?

Any information about the Selekt DSM power supply?
LP12/Kore/T2/Akito/Adikt/L4|Akurate DSM|Akurate Exaktbox 10|2 x Akurate 4200/1|Keilidhs
Macallan

Post by Macallan »

It sits in between. To me it seems like a new (4th) line between Majik and Akurate.

It can serve as a Majik DSM replacement (all-in-one box with more efficient class D amp), or Akurate DSM in case you pick the Katalyst DAC without internal amp. Interestingly there seems to be no AEDSM-like configuration (Exakt only) which would be ideal for Exakt speakers.

To drop an entire line (M or A) in favor of Selekt, they would have to introduce Selekt design-compatible external amps as well.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Akurate series should still be better, indeed another range.
'Separates' ADSM/3 with Katalyst and 2200 power amp is £ 11130.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Andrew L

Post by Andrew L »

It just looks like an updated Linn Classik, certainly not worth all the fuss and sekrecy!
Andrew L
Paulq

Post by Paulq »

Macallan wrote:It sits in between. To me it seems like a new (4th) line between Majik and Akurate.

It can serve as a Majik DSM replacement (all-in-one box with more efficient class D amp), or Akurate DSM in case you pick the Katalyst DAC without internal amp. Interestingly there seems to be no AEDSM-like configuration (Exakt only) which would be ideal for Exakt speakers.

To drop an entire line (M or A) in favor of Selekt, they would have to introduce Selekt design-compatible external amps as well.
I'd have to agree though the pricing is going to cause them some issues with customers who base their decisions on that being the differentiator between product hierarchies.

I can't quite understand what they are doing really.

I was actually considering an Akurate (Kat) and am now not entirely sure what to do at all :-)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Paulq wrote:I was actually considering an Akurate (Kat) and am now not entirely sure what to do at all :-)
I'd want to have a listen at the new box if in your shoes, ideally against ADSM and your current power amp. See which is best and take it from there.
cortina

Post by cortina »

Perhaps it is getting more and more difficult to separate Majik from Akurate in terms of price and performance with each new ”generation” of improvements and this will mean a phase out of Majik and Akurate (selecting with or without Katalyst). And they may have found that they make most profit by selling at a price in beteeen Majik and Akurate and with essentielly just one range. (Plus klimax).

Amps in a nicer matched box would be about time now (replacing a modified VCR-design when more and more is sold on design) and a new taller Klimax case would be rather easy to arrange as well, but possibly not until they add more functionality to the KDSM to make the release more than just new cases.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Strangely, extremely close to Naim design and functionality.
It's all about musical understanding!
cortina

Post by cortina »

Music Lover wrote:Strangely, extremely close to Naim design and functionality.
Or perhaps this is just what the market wants. I think so.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I like it. It’s a great one-box solution which I can imagine looking great on a shelf in a swanky warehouse conversion.

Now Linn have finished developing the Selekt, maybe Philbo will be allowed to get on with the Klimadorik!
Jumanji

Post by Jumanji »

It is a hybrid,

On one hand an all-in-one box, on the other hand it offers upgrade options so that customers can improve their System without having to switch to a different product line, could be smart.

The design is ok, but I don‘t get the value of a dial and display on the machine, even touting you don‘t need an app.
Really? In 2018? Does this device come with a remote. Do I really want to stand up and walk to the box to turn the dial? If the intention is to offer something for a younger customer group, I can‘t see this to be an advantage. Without the presumably expensive glass know and the large display it could have been less expensive...
And as this connects to Qobuz and the like you are already using apps anyway, so what is the point.
If it were geared at the elderly less technical inclined I could see some value, but is that the target group?

A WiFi connection is still missing...

J.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Jumanji wrote:A WiFi connection is still missing...
Good point. WLAN bridges are just an unnecessary pain for those that don't want optimum performance.
Nrwatson

Post by Nrwatson »

Don’t know what the upgrades will be
Moomintroll

Post by Moomintroll »

Perhaps a new thread to discuss Linn Selekt...?

‘troll
Jumanji

Post by Jumanji »

Nrwatson wrote:Don’t know what the upgrades will be
I guess the mentioned ‚cartridges‘ to upgrade the Selekt product such as Katalyst, amp...

J.
sandgrown

Post by sandgrown »

Peter@57m wrote:In case you did not see the photo on FaceBook before it was removed, its here on PFM

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr ... 485/page-3
There are two units on display here. I wonder if one of them has a built in amp, and the other doesn't?
Dobie

Post by Dobie »

sandgrown wrote:
Peter@57m wrote:In case you did not see the photo on FaceBook before it was removed, its here on PFM

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr ... 485/page-3
There are two units on display here. I wonder if one of them has a built in amp, and the other doesn't?
Might have different spec (Kat/no Kat/amp) but looks just like a change of case colour (silver/black) options.
Music at Home

Post by Music at Home »

Next year Linn will also make a headphone amplifier module, and those with an amplified Selekt DSM will have the choice to add a surround sound module with 5.1 speaker terminals, 4 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output and support for DTS and Dolby Digital Plus audio formats. The ‘coming soon’ list for 2019 also includes Bluetooth and wi-fi (2.4GHz/5GHz) support.
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/linn-selekt-dsm
Jumanji

Post by Jumanji »

Elegant is how we’d describe the entire presentation. The same 350mm-square footprint as the LP23, the Selekt DSM’s chassis, available in black only, sports a lovely smoke cut glass exterior with a chrome base.

LP23?
Rotfl
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I'm missing the HDMI-inputs. Do we really have to buy the surround-version to get them???
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

... and the DS models are all being discontinued.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/linn-chal ... c-streamer

which is a pity, as my experience is that the Klimax DSM doesn't sound as good as the Klimax DS.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2