Linn forum down?

General HiFi discussion, using the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 287
Joined: 2012-04-27 07:58

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by macrotech2 » 2018-10-01 20:58

phino wrote: * Is it actually allowed since GDPR to have an account with something like this which you cannot delete for yourself?
Yes it is, so long as you can ask for the account to be deleted, and this is then done.
KDS/3 Katalyst / Oppo 205 / Sky Q / Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / Akubariks

phino
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: 2018-09-26 20:01
Location: Yorkshire

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by phino » 2018-10-01 21:02

macrotech2 wrote:
Yes it is, so long as you can ask for the account to be deleted, and this is then done.
Thanks, that sounds sensible.

kelly200269
New member
New member
Posts: 4
Joined: 2018-06-08 21:17
Location: Leyland, England

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by kelly200269 » 2018-10-07 14:26

To move forward, Linn need to sell to the masses in a very big way, and the new Selekt range is part of that strategy.
I think Linn need to see a return on the investment they’ve made recently, otherwise I think it might bad times ahead for Linn again.
The Linn forum is filled mostly with ‘geeks’ like me, who discuss why Linn Silvers sound better than Blacks, and why they prefer their Lejonklou Gaio to the built-in phono stage of their AK ;-)
Judging from past replies from Linn to posts on their forum, I think Linn forum members aren’t seen as ‘important’ or particularly helpful to Linn. In-fact, I would go so far to say that Linn probably see many of the members/posts as ‘unhelpful’ to Linn’s future strategy. For example, if the forum was open now, how many posts would there be bemoaning the demise of stand-alone DS players? lol
I would personally be very surprised if the Linn forum reopened at all. I don’t think forty-somethings with lots of ‘old’ boxes that play strange things like CD’s/SACD’s like me fit in with the ‘shiny happy people’ that Linn want to see buying their shiny new boxes.

sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 782
Joined: 2012-04-04 15:19
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by sunbeamgls » 2018-10-07 22:40

kelly200269 wrote:To move forward, Linn need to sell to the masses in a very big way, and the new Selekt range is part of that strategy.
I think Linn need to see a return on the investment they’ve made recently, otherwise I think it might bad times ahead for Linn again.
The Linn forum is filled mostly with ‘geeks’ like me, who discuss why Linn Silvers sound better than Blacks, and why they prefer their Lejonklou Gaio to the built-in phono stage of their AK ;-)
Judging from past replies from Linn to posts on their forum, I think Linn forum members aren’t seen as ‘important’ or particularly helpful to Linn. In-fact, I would go so far to say that Linn probably see many of the members/posts as ‘unhelpful’ to Linn’s future strategy. For example, if the forum was open now, how many posts would there be bemoaning the demise of stand-alone DS players? lol
I would personally be very surprised if the Linn forum reopened at all. I don’t think forty-somethings with lots of ‘old’ boxes that play strange things like CD’s/SACD’s like me fit in with the ‘shiny happy people’ that Linn want to see buying their shiny new boxes.
Is a £4k to £7k music centre going to "sell to the masses"? I like the idea of the new product as a complement to the main range, but its not going to be a mass market product.
AEDSM; AEBox/1; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC 20.26. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.

KNVB_Guy
New member
New member
Posts: 2
Joined: 2018-09-22 16:37

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by KNVB_Guy » 2018-10-08 00:02

sunbeamgls wrote: Is a £4k to £7k music centre going to "sell to the masses"? I like the idea of the new product as a complement to the main range, but its not going to be a mass market product.
I thought the Kiko system was somewhat aimed at the mass market.

My (unqualified) opinion is that an Axis-level turntable would appeal to the mass market more than any digital product.

macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 287
Joined: 2012-04-27 07:58

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by macrotech2 » 2018-10-08 17:02

it's dead Jim.

So that's the end of an era and the Linn forum, as several, including myself, had suspected.
At least they're setting up an area on Hi-Fi Wigwam.
Go to the forum page for the full announcement.
KDS/3 Katalyst / Oppo 205 / Sky Q / Sagatun Mono Tarandus / Tundra Mono 2 Tarandus / Akubariks

donuk
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 324
Joined: 2010-02-21 13:25
Location: York, UK
Contact:

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by donuk » 2018-10-08 17:13

Gosh. It's suicidal. It's as daft as Brexit.
Donuk
Donuk

kelly200269
New member
New member
Posts: 4
Joined: 2018-06-08 21:17
Location: Leyland, England

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by kelly200269 » 2018-10-08 17:21

I suspected it might not return. RIP.
If I were Linn, I don’t blame ‘em. There were far too many geeks like me lurking on there.
Better to make a ‘fresh start’!?
I’ll just await the announcement that they ‘no longer support’ the LP12 at some point in the relatively-near future (tongue firmly in cheek!)

kelly200269
New member
New member
Posts: 4
Joined: 2018-06-08 21:17
Location: Leyland, England

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by kelly200269 » 2018-10-08 17:23

And ‘watch that space’!
They’ll be supporting MQA next! ;-)

FangfossFlyer
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: 2012-02-25 19:26
Location: Yorkshire, U.K.

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by FangfossFlyer » 2018-10-08 17:31

Definitely an end of an era and I don't like the sound of it.....

Richard

Peter@57m
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: 2013-11-19 20:21
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Peter@57m » 2018-10-08 17:37

It was through the forum that I heard about upgrades - Dynamik, Katalyst - and feedback from early adopters which persuaded me to either go ahead unheard or seek out a dealer who had Klimax kit on demo. And of course most of the support I received was from the forum rather than a dealer.

So are Linn about to up their Marketing game, if not, they will surely lose a fair bit of business and probably still lose some even with marketing.

And how do users get support now????

Most manufacturers have a web site with a forum, Linn treading a lonely path again, end of CD player, end of pre-amp, end of forum
________________
Regards, Peter

User avatar
Moomintroll
Active member
Active member
Posts: 158
Joined: 2007-04-22 21:52
Location: UK

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Moomintroll » 2018-10-08 17:39

It’s a shame, but unsurprising. I know it was taking up a surprising amount of staff time to moderate. People like David Williamson, in particular, have far important things to be spending their time upon.

See you all on the ‘wam, then (as soon as I can recover my login)

Thank you to Fred L for giving us shelter over the past few weeks.

‘troll

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 651
Joined: 2008-02-08 23:17
Location: In the groove

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by David Neel » 2018-10-08 17:46

Where is the announcement? I'm just getting the old message....

And yes, as crass as Brexit.
The less a person knows, the more certainly he knows it.

DoomHammer
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: 2013-11-22 10:30
Location: Poland

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by DoomHammer » 2018-10-08 17:55

Which news? This news: http://news.linn.co.uk/news/ ? I believe they not only have a hard time dealing with Forum, but with dealing anything public-facing. It's amazing how the same company can make beautiful and great-sounding hardware, terrible software and sloppy PR. Wonder where this is headed...

User avatar
Moomintroll
Active member
Active member
Posts: 158
Joined: 2007-04-22 21:52
Location: UK

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Moomintroll » 2018-10-08 17:58

David Neel wrote:Where is the announcement? I'm just getting the old message....

And yes, as crass as Brexit.
You must be picking up a cached version, David.

‘troll

User avatar
Moomintroll
Active member
Active member
Posts: 158
Joined: 2007-04-22 21:52
Location: UK

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Moomintroll » 2018-10-08 17:59

DoomHammer wrote:Which news? This news: http://news.linn.co.uk/news/ ? I believe they not only have a hard time dealing with Forum, but with dealing anything public-facing. It's amazing how the same company can make beautiful and great-sounding hardware, terrible software and sloppy PR. Wonder where this is headed...
That would be the obvious place to put it, wouldn’t it? And, yes, I did look there too. Even the Selekt hasn’t made it there yet!

‘troll

Peter@57m
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: 2013-11-19 20:21
Location: Surrey, UK

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Peter@57m » 2018-10-08 18:08

Linn Forum
8th October 2018
For the past few weeks the Linn Forum has been offline as we held our global product launches of Selekt DSM. During this time we have taken the opportunity to review the purpose, moderation and usage of the platform and have reached the conclusion that it is no longer viable for us to manage it in its current format.

Our approach in the past few years has been to take a light touch with moderation, but it’s become increasingly clear that a healthy forum needs more than that.

As a manufacturing organisation we want to focus all of our efforts on developing innovative products and so feel it is more appropriate for these conversations to take place in other forums where the resource is in place to appropriately support members.

Going forward, we are looking to address the gaps for forum members who are looking to connect with Linn:

Product issues and technical support: contact our customer support team on helpline@linn.co.uk or using the 'Report to Linn' function within your product

Expanded product information, product user guides and software information: use our reference site Linn Docs docs.linn.co.uk

Beta testing programme: a new beta platform will launch in the coming weeks and we will share details with you as soon as we can

We understand that there is a community within the Linn Forum who will want to continue their conversations on topics such as their system set up, the HiFi industry and many other things and so we are delighted to be able to announce that Hifi Wigwam will be partnering with us to allow this conversation to continue. The team at the 'Wam have already set up a Linn space and look forward to welcoming you to their community.
________________
Regards, Peter

Wolfie
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 84
Joined: 2008-01-07 22:57
Location: London UK

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Wolfie » 2018-10-08 18:18

Ah well - ‘twas fun while it lasted. Glad that they will, at least, continue with some form of access for beta testers.
I’ll miss the easy access to Linn folk though.

Mick
Klimax LP12 * KDS/3 * Solos/1 * Akubariks

Mark57
New member
New member
Posts: 2
Joined: 2013-04-13 13:43
Location: Uk

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Mark57 » 2018-10-08 20:25

I think dealers will have to up their game. The forum provided a lot of support for people on things like networks as well as the various upgrades available. I will be loathe to sign up for this new web based stuff, pins, so2, without the comfort of having the collective knowledge of the forum available.
LP12, ADSM, 2200, AV5140

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 651
Joined: 2008-02-08 23:17
Location: In the groove

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by David Neel » 2018-10-08 20:56

Mark57 wrote:I think dealers will have to up their game. The forum provided a lot of support for people on things like networks as well as the various upgrades available. I will be loathe to sign up for this new web based stuff, pins, so2, without the comfort of having the collective knowledge of the forum available.
Too true. In the early-ish days of DS and Davaar releases, the forum was invaluable.
The less a person knows, the more certainly he knows it.

timster
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 90
Joined: 2018-09-20 16:42

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by timster » 2018-10-09 07:25

Well, there we go. See y'all in the Wam!

Spoke too soon. Anyone know where the Linn Space is?
AEDSM (AKA ASH) -> AEBox10 -> M6100 + M2100 -> M140 + REL T5

Linnjim
Member
Member
Posts: 12
Joined: 2017-01-29 20:44

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Linnjim » 2018-10-09 08:07

I think I am on the young side of linn's customer base and I can honestly say that my generation and those after me will be hugely put off by Linn not having a forum.
I came to the forum looking to buy a classik and some katans but 6 months later, after a 90/10 split of learning from the forum and speaking to dealers I took the plunge on an akurate set up. I would certainly not have done this without the forum.
This seems extremely short sighted to me, especially considering that linn aim for customers who appreciate state of the art technology.

I must admit i am salty though after being sold a katalyst upgrade shortly before the announcement that my DS is end of line.

Poor show Linn, it's a good job that your products are so good.

Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 700
Joined: 2011-08-30 18:49
Location: North Lincolnshire -UK.
Contact:

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Ozzzy189 » 2018-10-09 08:37

You might be in a strong position now. An end of line product you've fully upgraded might sound better than anything comparable they offer for sale for a long time. It will also have increased resale value should you decide to move away from linn. In the meantime enjoy what you have.
Last edited by Ozzzy189 on 2018-10-09 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.

dubselect
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: 2013-01-20 12:46

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by dubselect » 2018-10-09 10:42

https://www.linn.co.uk/forums

That is it. Linn forum has been shut down. Forever. Sad. It was a good, healthy and helpful community.

Hope all the users from Linn forum will eventually move here or to other alternatives, provided by Linn themselves.

User avatar
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member
Posts: 942
Joined: 2009-12-19 19:07
Location: United States

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by Tony Tune-age » 2018-10-09 20:04

dubselect wrote:https://www.linn.co.uk/forums

That is it. Linn forum has been shut down. Forever. Sad. It was a good, healthy and helpful community.
It is unfortunate, but not much of a surprise either. Just hope they don't stop making improvements for the LP12, or even worse...dropping it from their product line. If it wasn't for the Sondek, I wouldn't have maintained an interest in audio.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age

Post Reply