https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sFVp3nZUyE

L&O

Linn & Olufsen

Just speculating :-)
KDSM2,Klimax Solo's/1,Lp12,Keel,Radikal/1,Aro,Kandid,Tron Seven,Akurate 242's
vicdiaz

Re: Linn forum down?

Post by vicdiaz »

The ‘Big’ news is that Linn has come to an agreement with a well known credit card brand to offer zero interest credit on purchases of Linn gear. ;)
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
Resonant Frequency

Post by Resonant Frequency »

I am extremely sorry to see that the Linn forum will be down for such an extended period as I believe that this is bad for Linn and bad for their most ardent supporters who are without question their most active brand ambassadors ; I speculate that Linn wish to kill the forum - perhaps some of the recent postings by certain members has become an embarrassment.

I personally found the forum very useful when I was transitioning from CD to streaming and from tri-activity klouts/Kabers to Akubarik Exakt. I also thought it great that Linn design staff eg philbo contributed and would respond to queries. I contributed to the forum from time to time and met up with a few other forum members over recent times which was great. Regretfully I do not contribute much lately as it has become less rewarding due to much silliness, albeit that it is some of these same members contributing which have to some degree kept the forum alive. I also find it frustrating that occasionally new members ask a question which has been frequently answered previously but which they have not bothered to research.

It is great that Linn support most of their products for as long as they do, but I would like to see them give a firm commitment to support products for ideally at least ten years.

I sincerely hope that Linn have not partnered with the likes of B&O as that will be the death knell for me, as I believe that B&O represent sleek design which becomes dated prematurely yet provides middling performance (if that)! All of their products that I recall from the past were mediocre products in tarted up enclosures.

By suspending the Linn forum, Linn are taking their existing customer base for granted: this is a serious failing and one which severely damaged the likes of M&S, Tesco and others in the past. A few days closure of the forum would be acceptable but 6 weeks is not.

Many thanks to all the Linn forum members that put in so much time and effort into helping other Linn customers like myself; you know who you are.
Mark57

Post by Mark57 »

I do think taking down the entire forum, with all its ‘help’ resources, not to mention feedback on beta products is ridiculously over the top. This really better be a killer ‘must have’ product to justify such extreme action.

As for reviewing moderation, i think the forum was about right. Yes there was some silly ‘humour’, but it did no harm and could be ignored by those not interested. And there was the occasional inevitable descent into personal insults but that was pretty rare for an online forum, and soon fixed by warning/suspending/banning the culprits. But maybe Linn are worried in these increasingly litigious times.

Perhaps we will have to find a home elsewhere.

I have to say it leaves a bitter taste in the mouth and has reduced my respect for Linn.
LP12, ADSM, 2200, AV5140
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

I can’t really understand the direction this thread has taken. Most posters agree that the Linn forum has passed its sell-by date and yet you are all saying how you’ve lost respect/reconsidering future Linn purchases etc...

I buy Linn for the quality of the gear, not access to a forum...
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

Gussy wrote:I can’t really understand the direction this thread has taken. Most posters agree that the Linn forum has passed its sell-by date and yet you are all saying how you’ve lost respect/reconsidering future Linn purchases etc...

Likewise.
Sloop John B

Post by Sloop John B »

anthony wrote:
Gussy wrote:I can’t really understand the direction this thread has taken. Most posters agree that the Linn forum has passed its sell-by date and yet you are all saying how you’ve lost respect/reconsidering future Linn purchases etc...

Likewise.

I think ownership is a bit more complex than this for a lot of people. Apple clearly understands (or understood) this as have Linn and Naim.

I’m predominantly have Naim gear and found the Linn forum very helpful when I was considering a Linn streamer a few years ago.

Whether it is right or wrong there will be several people for whom the Linn forum will be a part of their life, their daily interaction with others. It’s obviously not its primary purpose but no recognition of its importance tells a tale about customer/company relationships I feel.

.sjb
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

An over simplification of the thread I think. We have here a very limited sample of people compared to the volume of Linn forum users. I don't feel extrapolation is appropriate.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

sunbeamgls wrote:

An over simplification of the thread I think. We have here a very limited sample of people compared to the volume of Linn forum users. I don't feel extrapolation is appropriate.
Fair enough. But if this thread is such a small representation of their customers’ views then I sincerely hope Linn don’t pay any attention to it.
Briain

Post by Briain »

Music at Home wrote:Meet the new Komri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sFVp3nZUyE

Just speculating :-)
Well it certainly is a technically interesting product (speakers contain 18 DACs, 18 amps and 18 units and it sounds like as well as being able to select beamwidths, you can store numerous SO profiles - to suit different seating positions, for example - and select them using a mobile phone app) which are also interesting concepts; I'd now be really rather intrigued to actually hear a pair of them in action. I had a hunt to see what the cost and I discovered that can simply mail order them from the Selfridges web store (and for the very nearly insignificant price of £58,820.00). The 'add to bag' button is rather amusing; it must be a pretty darned big bag, so maybe an 'add to pallet' would be rather more appropriate (mind you, if they sound like some of the previous BO products that I've had the misfortune to hear - designed only for optical aesthetics, not sonic aesthetics - maybe an 'add to skip' button might be required). :P

http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/ban ... 01-BEOLAB/

Well, I bought the last experimental speakers without first hearing them, so I guess it's your turn to mail order a set of these fancy new BO chaps and let us all know whether they sound as good as the video claims.

Bri ;)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

They look hideous - like a triangulated alien trying to escape from a sports bag.
Briain

Post by Briain »

Charlie1 wrote:They look hideous - like a triangulated alien trying to escape from a sports bag.
Ha ha, yes indeed; you'd have to listen to them in a darkened room. There are other speakers that I'd love to hear (one of my friends - who has very good ears for tunes - heard a set of Diapason Ensemble speakers and reckons they were pretty awesome; they look almost acceptable, though they are a bit large) but for me, looks do also play a part and some of the more extreme speakers out there look totally hideous. Fortunately, as well as liking the sound, I've also liked the appearance of most of the speakers that I've owned, over the years (and I do like my maple 350 with the black 'spoons').
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Charlie1 wrote:They look hideous - like a triangulated alien trying to escape from a sports bag.
Brilliant!
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

A thought has just occurred to me.

This story has become viral, reaching thousands of audiophiles who would never normally take any interest in a new Linn product. If this was intentional, it could be the best marketing exercise since that cheeky monkey Mr Shifter asked “Do you know the pianos on my foot?”.
PerFlemming

Post by PerFlemming »

I haven't visited Linn forum for years

Way too much disciple nonsens

The fact they don't support their product in a fair manner, pricing in memo, I never ever buy any of their products again (even a Krystal is tempting)

Years back I owned their amplication until I realised their kind of boring performance was not me

Loved my Isobarik, Kan and Kaber back then, are they selling their 10K floorstanders with socks nowadays ? Really !?

My last Linn box was the Ikemi and CD12, ok still have some black interconnect
Last edited by PerFlemming on 2018-09-18 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Music at Home

Post by Music at Home »

Spannko wrote:A thought has just occurred to me.

This story has become viral, reaching thousands of audiophiles who would never normally take any interest in a new Linn product. If this was intentional, it could be the best marketing exercise since that cheeky monkey Mr Shifter asked “Do you know the pianos on my foot?”.
<cough>
http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... 782#p35782

<cough>
http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... 874#p35874
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I am posting first thing before I receive the updates on the US dealer meeting yesterday from Keith. It really does seem a bit much to close down the forum for a month while you dribble out the information to dealers and the press. Especially if they intend to show what's new at a Hi-Fi show later this week. Even Apple doesn't resort to this type of behavior. With such a huge stress on secrecy somebody is going to look pretty foolish if there isn't some truly earth shattering new product or announcement. Something along the line of the original Klimax DS might warrant a fair bit of secrecy (although still not this much) as it was a completely new product category for Linn and brought new capabilities to market.

From what I know that is not what I expect. While this was supposed to be all hush-hush, there have still been leaks coming through official channels (admittedly unofficially). They don't square with this kind of mystery theater.

Breaking news: Linn have figured out a way to send analog music to systems around the world with high quality and without wires and there is no subscription fee! I think it is called Kadio or something like that! (I'm not immune to a little humor.)

One wonders if this will all backfire on Linn if the announcement isn't deemed important enough to justify all the draconian measures they have gone through to protect it. After all this shutting down of the forum and trying not to leak even to dealers ahead of time it wouldn't be good if the announcement(s) were generally met with "Is that all?". We shall see.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Well put, Thomas!

In just a few days I'll be seeing and hearing for myself at X-Fi what this fuss has been all about.

I wonder how Linn is going to keep everyone attending there silenced - it's an official launch and press presentation so as from this Saturday all beans must have been spilled - no secrecy or mystery to dealers that have yet to be informed by then.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Which is why the forum shutdown hints at bigger things going on, such as the reevaluation of the forum alluded to by Gilad.
The LP12 Whisperer
Briain

Post by Briain »

ThomasOK wrote:Even Apple doesn't resort to this type of behavior.
Rather amusingly, Apple are known to be very good at keeping things quiet (apparently searching Chinese workers on their way in and out of Foxcomm, and the likes) but about a week ago, my understanding is that they left an unencrypted copy of the release presentation on a server, so someone grabbed pictures of the pending products and now they are all over on the Internet. Google also slipped up when someone left a pre-release Pixel 3 in the back of a taxi and thought the taxi driver did give it back, he first photographed it and plastered the photos all over the Internet. ;)
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Music at Home wrote:
Spannko wrote:A thought has just occurred to me.

<cough>
http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... 782#p35782

<cough>
http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... 874#p35874
Ha ha! Yes. You explained it better than me too!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I’m just trying to figure out where it is viral? I did a search for Linn forum shutdown and only got one relevant return-a guy on Vinyl Engine who wondered if it was really shut down.

What if they shut down a forum and nobody noticed?
The LP12 Whisperer
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

ThomasOK wrote:What if they shut down a forum and nobody noticed?
Do you mean nobody other than Linn forum members?
Tony Tune-age
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

ThomasOK wrote:I’m just trying to figure out where it is viral?
It’s been all the talk in our house today.

My wife said she’s going back to live with her mother tomorrow.