Retipping

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Retipping

Post by Azazello »

I'm considering buying a 2:nd hand MC and send i to Expert stylus for retipping. A new Klyde is simply too expensive for me, I don't want to limit my listening time because I have to consider pickup-hours. I'm currently using a Adikt.

I will soon buy a Ekos and since I already have a Kairn it's obviously a possibility to go for a MC when the Adikt wears out. The advice I would like is first if Expert stylus is as good as some people claim? Is there anyone out there that has compared a retipped cartridge with a "original" in good shape? Second; what cartridge would you recommend? I think that Arkiv is quite expensive to retipp, but I'm not sure. Is the Troika much better then a Klyde when retipped? And how about Karma, is it too old?

Regards
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I don't believe I have seen the retips from Expert Stylus but I have seen some pretty bad jobs of retipping so I would be careful. Some have had misaligned diamonds, others a partial cantilever glued onto the cutoff original cantilever.

The one rebuilder I can recommend is Goldring who I believe will rebuild the Karma, Klyde, Asaka and Troika styli. I have seen a Troika they retipped and they replace the whole moving assembly (coils, cantilever and diamond) with a new, well made one. Their rebuilds are not inexpensive at around $800 to $1000US. But a dead Troika that has been rebuilt is quite a fine cartridge.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

I've also heard some terrible stories about bad retipping, but never regarding Expert Stylus. They also replace everything in the cartridge that needs to be replaced, and they are supposed to do a good job. I believe that retipping at Expert stylus is considerably cheaper than § 800 – 1000 (if it is that expensive, I might just as well go for a new Klyde). Nevertheless it would be nice to hear from someone with first hand experience.

I actually contacted Goldring to hear if they could retipp a Troika (that I didn’t get on Ebay) for me, but the answer was no.

Regards
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

I haven't got any first hand experience but according to Selleri.de Expert Stylus prices for Linn MC:s are:

Re-Tipping - 205£
Re-Build - 243£
Total Re-Build - 313£
Arkiv + ca 40£

A guy at Selleri.de did send his second hand bought Troika for re-tip/-build, but got the reply that the stylus was in excellent shape (!) except for that the cantilever was slightly angled. Expert Stylus corrected it and he got away with cheap 25£!

You could reach Expert Stylus at tel: +44 (0)1372 276604.