2nd System - how good is good enough?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

2nd System - how good is good enough?

Post by Charlie1 »

Thinking about a second Linn/Lejonklou system for the family. Toyed with the idea of integrating it with mine, but have decided to keep them entirely separate for various reasons. Vinyl is not an option as it will be mostly used as background music and my wife won't want to be flipping LPs every 20 minutes whilst managing a home/kids etc.

I don't have a specific budget in mind, so am just getting ideas together. Ideally, I'd like to keep costs to a minimum and buy second hand. It must have radio and a digital source, preferably CD, but DS is not out of the question.

I've thought about the old Music Classic plus some Katan's, but not sure it will be good enough. What is good enough though? My fear is that there is some unknown minimum level that the system needs to attain, otherwise it won't be musically satisfying and just be the normal digital tiresome reproduction that makes everyone wish the damn thing was switched off :) which is exactly what happens at the moment.

Whilst my wife isn't into hi-fi, I've slowly discovered that she has a low threshold for mediocre and unmusical reproduction and so usually prefers to have nothing (she grew up playing records, so no surprise!) I'm trying to convince her otherwise as I also want my daughter to be able to enjoy music at home and be able to widen her tastes as she gets older.

Tough one I think which is why I'm a bit stuck/uncertain.
vicdiaz

Re: 2nd System - how good is good enough?

Post by vicdiaz »

Charlie1,

I had a similiar situation as you but finally I've got a 2nd system that at least I can spend hours listening to. It took me a few months to find the correct components due to size and space constraints but as of yesterday I'm very happy with what I've acomplished, even though the only Linn-branded component are the speaker cables.

The components are:

Naim Nait-5i integrated amplifier
Rega Kytes speakers on Sound Organisation Kan Wall Mounts
Ubuntu Linux PC running Slimserver 7.3/Softsqueeze
Fubar II USB DAC with Supplier Power Supply

Even though the system is not in the league of my full-fledged Linn system (LP12/Lingo/Exotic/2250/Akurate DS/Katans), I spent quite a few hours yesterday night listening to it and can finnally close this chapter of searching for a bedroom system I can listen to.

For me, enough is when you can spend a few hours listening to music, don't run away from the room and don't spend a fortune on it!!! :mrgreen:
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

If you have a DS today, you already have the NAS etc --> get a Sneaky!
Add whatever speakers you like and enjoy.
Sneaky is a STEAL :D

Spend more money? Add Kikkin/2250.

Kikkin is the bargain of the decade and with 2250s going for a lot less than Klouts, I have hard times finding other amp combinations with better performance for 1500€

(for me, Sneaky/Kikkin/2250 very likely going to be the absolute lowest level for a 2nd system in same house as my main system)
It's all about musical understanding!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

vic diaz wrote:For me, enough is when you can spend a few hours listening to music, don't run away from the room and don't spend a fortune on it!!! Mr. Green
Yes, this is what we're looking for!
Thanks for you post and 2nd system list. I will check out those wall mounted speakers/brackets as it could be ideal until we move house.
I would actually consider non-linn components for the amp and speakers, although not the source.

Music Lover wrote:If you have a DS today, you already have the NAS etc --> get a Sneaky! Add whatever speakers you like and enjoy.
Sneaky is a STEAL Very Happy
Yes, I'm sure you're right in terms of sound per pound, but the more I think about the prospect of my wife living with a DS player, the more I go off the idea. My wife is a techno-phobe and I just know that no matter what, I'll be the one ripping each new CD and then they'll be a problem with the PC or piece of software and it will be one thing after another. I just want to leave them to enjoy music. DS is fine for enthuisasts (like vinyl) and teenagers with time on their hands, but I'm really not convinced. I'm kind of backtracking on what I said before that I'd consider a DS player. Mmmm. Thanks for the suggestion though ML - I might succumb to a DS eventually, but not sure I'm ready yet!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Got it!
If so...replace the Sneaky with a Unidisk. (SC if you are on a budget)
Generally, if you looking at a disc spinner - only a Unidisk make sense as they also play DVDs.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Charlie1 wrote:
vic diaz wrote:For me, enough is when you can spend a few hours listening to music, don't run away from the room and don't spend a fortune on it!!! Mr. Green
Yes, this is what we're looking for!
I'd say a 2:nd hand Classik Music. ML:s system is obviously better, but if all you want to obtain is the "don't run away-factor", the Classik really has it, and at really low price. Get a pair of Kelihds for it, or Tukan if you want something smaller and you can find a pair.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Azazello wrote:I'd say a 2:nd hand Classik Music. ML:s system is obviously better, but if all you want to obtain is the "don't run away-factor", the Classik really has it, and at really low price. Get a pair of Kelihds for it, or Tukan if you want something smaller and you can find a pair.
The Classik music would also cover the radio which is probably most important and still not take up much space, so if it is OK for a couple of hours listening then it would be ideal.

What would be a good speaker choice for putting them on a large heavy chest/bookcase along with the Classic Musik? What are the Uniks like? I presume Katans/Tukans/Kytes aren't really designed for this and need stands - is that right?
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Music Lover wrote:If you have a DS today, you already have the NAS etc --> get a Sneaky!
Add whatever speakers you like and enjoy.
Sneaky is a STEAL :D
Would love to get a Sneaky, but the lack of auxiliary inputs made me decide to make my own PC-based 'Sneaky-Cheapy' :mrgreen:
Vic
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Please tell us more Vic!
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

this brings up a good point for me... i originally intended to sell my akurate 212s when i got the 242s... but in the economic enviornment..tough to sell just about anything...but it is a great time to buy... SO... if i keep the 212s, (sources will be cd/dvd/tuner) this is a bedroom system...can classic music cut it? prefer one box solution. Tuner is a must as wife loves the radio...neither one of us have downloaded a song in our lives and have no plans (vinyl for me) but shes got a bunch of CDs, and we have a bunch of dvds...as do the children...so will i Hate the classik music with the 212s???

i meant to ask about the classik Movie...not the music thx
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Music Lover wrote:Please tell us more Vic!
It's just a Windows XP SP3-based PC with silent 500-watt power supply running Slimdevices Squeezecenter connected to a Firestone Audio Fubar II USB DAC with a Firestone Audio Supplier power supply (like a Naim Hicap for the DAC!).

The USB DAC is connected to a Naim Nait 5i and speakers are Rega Kytes mounted on Sound Organisation Kan Wall mounts.

Believe or not amazingly tuneful and musical!

Tried the same PC with Ubuntu Linux but my Logitech Dinovo Edge wireless keyboard kept disconnecting for no reason...
Vic