Naim Powerline

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Naim Powerline

Post by David Neel »

Yesterday I attended a Naim Powerline openday. The Powerline is a £400 power cord, and was being demonstrated against standard Naim power cables. A noticeable improvement, at some expense, although I cannot say I particularly liked the CD-based system I heard.

Then an LP12SE was used as the front end, and the music was much nicer (with no powerline in the system) than CD. Adding a Powerline to the Lingo2 made a difference - easier to follow the music and more sense that the musicians were interacting. Not unlike the kind of difference a Keel makes, if rather less dramatic.

I don't understand why a power cord feeding a power supply which turns a motor should do this, but it did. And for the money, perhaps more effective than a better cartridge?
Pedro

Naim Powerline

Post by Pedro »

I have tried a Naim Powerline (for Europe with the Schuko-Stecker) in my AKTIV Linn System on a UNIDISK 1.1. You can hear clearly a change in the sound. For me it has some loudness-effect, nearly every note seems to be a little polished.
I compared this cable to the latest LINN standard powercable (Type: 'TONGYUAN'). I prefer this over the Naim Powerline, because for me the music is more tuneful.
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

To me the Powerline was more tuneful. The other power cord was the standard UK Linn one. But I can see that power cords are an item where differences may well depend on factors like the mains power supply. The Naim CD system showed different effects depending on whether the Powerline was connected to the CDP or the pre-amp.

At least it will be simple to conduct a demo, as you have done: easier than comparing cartridges!
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Perhaps this thread should be added to the one on non-Linn power cables?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

/ Technical forum comment:
The problem is that adding several threads into one is not possible in the version of phpBB that this forum is using. :cry: And upgrading to a version that has this function requires quite a bit of work. /

Interesting to read your comments. I would just like to quickly add that comparisons power cords seems to be one of the least generalisable (correct expression?) pieces of information in the field of HiFi. I have tried my Power One (1m and 2m) and the last two types of cords supplied with Linn units in many different systems during the last year and the results are both logical and inconclusive:

* Some cords are plain bad - they never sound any good.
* A few (very few) cords are good - they are worth trying.
* Some units prefer a certain cord - in part, it can be seen as a part of the power supply.
* Some systems prefer a certain combination - in part, it can be seen as a part of the mains and ground wiring in between all units.

I would like to try the Powerline too. If it sounds anything between really good and great, it's worth trying in several systems and combinations. But if it's somehow flawed in a fundamental way (which I find most power cords are), it's no point trying it any further.

Just my 2 cents regarding this.
Erik

Post by Erik »

I have recently put two Powerlines into my system. It might be a little bit early to conclude but what it did on the SNAXOs Supercap was nothing but stunning. So much more tuneful with absolutely no downsides. I then tried the other one on the PS for the pre and the result was similar but not as dramatic.
One of the biggest upgrades ever.

/Erik, from the dark Naim-side 8)
paolo

Post by paolo »

I've briefly listened to a new Powerline (not runned-in at all) in my system. It is feeding the power amp (C2200) as it cannot be accommodated into Klimax boxes (neither KDS or KK).

Given these conditions I find it LESS tuneful than the Power One it has substituted. The change in sound is very evident, everything is more explicit, defined and textured with Powerline. But something goes wrong, expecially the bass is no more as integrated and in time as before. In the end music is less involving and meaningful.

Though I remain open to believe things can be different after run-in or using it higher in the chain, at the moment I think Powerline fails playing music in a completely convincing way (in my system).

Paolo
Erik

Post by Erik »

I don't think the run in process will change your impressions.
At present I have my two PLs on the Snaxo's SC and the mid's amp, I tried it on the treble but even if a lot of hi-fi things got better, the bass went out of tune. This is very strange as I find the PL to be like going active once again.
A PL on the Armageddon was a step similar to Valhalla to Lingo ( I did have a full Linn set up 15 years ago :wink: ).
The problem is: I want 6 more Powerlines but the launch of the Aro Keel really highlights a economical dilemma.

/Erik
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I had forgotten this thread was here. Rather than re-post my findings on two US Naim power cables, PowerLine and standard, I will put the link to my posting on the "Power cord other than Linn" thread here:

http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... =7434#7434