Your latest goosebump moment

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Your latest goosebump moment

Post by beck »

Being in a position where it is all about finding new music to enjoy I have lately been visiting my nearest 2. hand vinyl store and buying vinyl.
I found Oxygene by Jean Michell Jarre. I have not heard it for so long but I remember having it on casette and was happy to get it home. Putting track 4 (first track B side) on first I was blown away by the full bodied sound of the synthesizers from this original 1976 analog record with its slightly yellow old paper sheet. A real goosebump moment.
Later I went back and found Equinoxe from 1978. Almost as good sounding as the former. These are the two records to go for before digital made an entrance if you like his music and belong to the group who loves analog sound and uses a turntable. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Your latest goosebump moment

Post by Charlie1 »

I heard part of this album many years ago. I will pick up a copy based on your post.

Can't specifically recall the last goosebump moment. Tends to happen with slower or atmospheric tracks. Sometimes, just the right piano note and nothing else playing is all it takes. We're probably all a bit different when it comes to this type of stuff. Come to think of it, when I react to music like that, it may often (or only) be when I hear something familiar that I've not heard in a long time, and probably hear it on a better system. Not sure.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Funny coincidence, I just picked up a copy of Equinoxe last week. Haven't played it yet.

Last goosebump moment was Beethoven's first piano Sonata.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

lejonklou wrote:Funny coincidence, I just picked up a copy of Equinoxe last week. Haven't played it yet.

Last goosebump moment was Beethoven's first piano Sonata.
Hope you have better luck with your copy. Mine is actually not that tuneful (maybe a late copy). I will try to find a better one.
Jean Michell Jarre is not a great composer but he has produced some nice sounds from time to time.

Short update: Even when listening via youtube Equinoxe (to my ears) sound a little weird. Go for Oxygene if you want to listen to Jean Michel Jarre at his best.
Playing cd’s…………
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

His latest albums, electronica 1+2 are absolutely brilliant too.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Sopper
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Sopper »

lejonklou wrote: Last goosebump moment was Beethoven's first piano Sonata.
Which performer?
KÄLLA > Sagatun Mono 1.7 > Tundra Mono 3.0 > Graham LS8/1F
Cables: Trivium Audio Cables
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sopper wrote:
lejonklou wrote: Last goosebump moment was Beethoven's first piano Sonata.
Which performer?
It was Daniel Veesey and I found it on the Free Music Archive:

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Danie ... n_F_Minor/
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Sounds absolutely great just using my ipad into my system. Who needs a streamer? :-)
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Yes, it has something, doesn't it?

I hadn't heard of him before and there might be better performers, but there is something in his playing that touches me. Since my son started studying classical piano a few years ago, I've been listening in new ways and hearing new things. My personal relation to classical has grown, but when it comes to the various opinions in the field of classical music I'm more confused than before. For instance what is considered good, better and best and the focus on fault-free performances.

I hope that my son continues on this path and that I learn more.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

lejonklou wrote:Yes, it has something, doesn't it?

I hadn't heard of him before and there might be better performers, but there is something in his playing that touches me. Since my son started studying classical piano a few years ago, I've been listening in new ways and hearing new things. My personal relation to classical has grown, but when it comes to the various opinions in the field of classical music I'm more confused than before. For instance what is considered good, better and best and the focus on fault-free performances.

I hope that my son continues on this path and that I learn more.
Let the performers discuss style and tradition. It is all about communication. Do not think that there is only one way to do it. If we go back in time piano was played quite differently compared to today. Listen to Vladimir Horowitz and you will hear some old style playing.

My latest goosebump moment was when Sweden scored their first goal against Germany! :-)

5 min. later: Sorry, I obviously jinxed that match!
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I was 15 or 16 when I bought my first turntable and the first 4 classical records I bought still to this day gives me goosebumps. Not because of their sound quality but because of the feelings I recall when listening to them.

Jean Sibelius Finlandia/Chopin’s 2. Piano Concerto/ Mahler’s 5. Symfoni and Debussy’s Image plus Prélude à l’aprés-midi d’un faune.

The feeling of starting a new journey into an unknown land is still present. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

The original recording of zoolook by Jarre is amazing. The dripping water sounds incredible. Ethnicolour is just one of 'those' tracks that's gives you goosebumps and lasts in your memory for a long time.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Ozzzy189 wrote:The original recording of zoolook by Jarre is amazing. The dripping water sounds incredible. Ethnicolour is just one of 'those' tracks that's gives you goosebumps and lasts in your memory for a long time.
I have many of his records from my teen years and do like the story of him recording ethnic languages from people around the world and using it in zoolook. As such there is nothing wrong with his records.
From a purely analog recording standpoint it is however a blessing to listen to Oxygene. It is the only recording (as far as I can hear and not mentioning his two earliest less known records) that has the old analog sound.

Equinoxe is a bit of a mystery to me being an as far as I know analog recording but sounding a bit “off” (my copy at least).
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

A great view into the recording proces of yesterday. See the 2 inch mastertape at 18 min and enjoy the keyboard recording at 25 min and onwards (just love that keyboard sound). For non musicians 26 min in is a must see because you can observe them listening for musical timing and groove inaccuracies. We are in the early 80s and digital is creaping into the studio but this record has been my latest goosebump moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMm-08uZXfo

Now sitting at home getting a blast out of the groove and sound of that track from 25 minutes in.

From a “tune” perspective only this is the last Genesis studio album I would recommend. I do own later Genesis/Phil Collins records but they lose when compared to this one.

Update on my Oxygene/Equinoxe comparing situation:

I bought one more copy of oxygene 2nd hand and it shows that the first copy I have is extremely good. The Equinoxe copy is getting better after I have played it a couple of times. My take is that Oxygene and Equinoxe are both worth seeking out but the quality does depend on the actual copy you get.
Playing cd’s…………