What's in a Naim?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

carle

What's in a Naim?

Post by carle »

I have been thinking of replacing my trusted Karik III/Numerik, but the Linn Majik did not seem like a major step forward when I first heard it, and the Unidisks are a bit pricey, so I have been thinking of looking at the Naim CDX2. Anyone out there that could offer an opinion on the relative merits of the CDX2 vs the Linn players?
Vidar P

Re: What's in a Naim?

Post by Vidar P »

carle wrote:I have been thinking of replacing my trusted Karik III/Numerik, but the Linn Majik did not seem like a major step forward when I first heard it, and the Unidisks are a bit pricey, so I have been thinking of looking at the Naim CDX2. Anyone out there that could offer an opinion on the relative merits of the CDX2 vs the Linn players?
I've heard them both although at different times, and I think the Karik3/Numerik really is a great cdp! At the time, I thought it musically far superior to anything from the US, even the most expensive Wadia's etc.

While I haven't tested both s/s, I think the CDX2 probably will offer better tonal colour at least; but I need to rely on a (unreliable) memory here. The Linn might be looked upon as a bit dry, while the Naim adds a certain amount of flesh to the bone. Whether the Naim would be superior when it comes to PR&T I'm not sure, the Linn was truly great in that respect.

As luck would have it, you are probably able to do a home dem in Oslo. The CDX2 has a great advantage; it can (and should!) be upgraded with a XPS2 or even a 555PS. There's little doubt in my mind that, when upgraded, most music lovers will find it better than the Karik/Numerik.

Another point is; if you do like the Linn, you'd probably also like the sound of the Naim. Most people who like one, likes the other too; they sort of focus on the same aspect of performance. I have a CDS3/XPS2 now.. that would be the upgrade path from the CDX2/XPS2, and as such the Naim will offer a logical upgrade path.

Regards, Vidar
carle

Naim CDX2

Post by carle »

Thanks, Vidar

I talked to my Oslo dealer (Odd R) today, and I hope to be able to borrow a CDX2 for a home dem sometime soon.

Carl E
Vidar P

Re: Naim CDX2

Post by Vidar P »

carle wrote:Thanks, Vidar

I talked to my Oslo dealer (Odd R) today, and I hope to be able to borrow a CDX2 for a home dem sometime soon.

Carl E
Do give it a few days to settle before any serious listening; I know it's a cliche, but the CDX2 (as most Naim eq) does really not sing too well before warming up a few days. They tend to sound merely "good" but a bit fragmented.. a few days later they are great!

Do not hesitate to contact me on my email if there's anything I can be of any assistance.

Regards, Vidar
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Vidar and carle, welcome to the forum!

I can't comment on the Naim player that you are discussing, because I haven't yet listened to it, but I have to remind you of the forum rules that are posted at the top of each forum.

The Tune Method is mandatory here when judging performance. You can't replace it with expressions like "better tonal colour", "dry", "flesh to the bone" or even PR&T.
Vidar P

Post by Vidar P »

Sorry, I wasn't aware that one couldn't comment on a product without doing a comparative tunedem. Although I use and value the strict tunedem myself now and then, I'll withdraw from this forum as I haven't done enough comparative tunedems, with the best of wishes to you all!

Regards, Vidar
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

It's in the rules and they may seem harsh, but there are so many other hifi forums that allow just about any opinion, so my intention was to do the opposite: Create a forum where everyone shares the same frame of reference.

If you do use the Tune Method, you can always participate in the discussions here. But the posted opinions need to be based on that method. Thanks for staying and welcome back!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

carle wrote:I have been thinking of replacing my trusted Karik III/Numerik, but the Linn Majik did not seem like a major step forward when I first heard it, and the Unidisks are a bit pricey, so I have been thinking of looking at the Naim CDX2. Anyone out there that could offer an opinion on the relative merits of the CDX2 vs the Linn players?
I would suggest that you try to borrow the Majik CD and try it at home. When I compared it to Ikemi I found The Majik clearly better. Ikemi is generally considered to be a great leap ahead of the K/N combination.

I cannot comment on the CDX2, but I have done som listening on the CD5x, and I was not impressed at all. Genki was way ahead in my opinion.

Regards
carle

K/N, Ikemi and Majik

Post by carle »

I borrowed an Ikemi home a few years ago, and my wife and I compared the tunefulness of the Ikemi and the Karik/Numerik. Interestingly, the addition of silver interconnects to my K/N combo at the time brought out a whole lot more music than exchanging the K/N for Ikemi (with black interconnects), so I bought the silver leads and happily let the Ikemi go.

Clearly, I will also home dem the Majik and see how that turns out before I spend a serious amount of money. The fun thing about listening for the tune is (as Fredrik points out) that it is not always the most expensive upgrade that is the most rewarding.

Carl E
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: K/N, Ikemi and Majik

Post by Music Lover »

carle wrote:I borrowed an Ikemi home a few years ago, and my wife and I compared the tunefulness of the Ikemi and the Karik/Numerik. Interestingly, the addition of silver interconnects to my K/N combo at the time brought out a whole lot more music than exchanging the K/N for Ikemi (with black interconnects), so I bought the silver leads and happily let the Ikemi go.
Hmm. Dont think that Ikemi was performing normally.
An a previous owner of K/N and Ikemi, I consider Ikemi much better in musicality, but it's not a "impressive sounding" as K/N.
K/N sounds slightly like Naim; upfront, lively and with loudness filter applied. (I kind of like that "sound" btw :wink: but tune dem is more important)
Ikemi can seem more laidback, but in tune dem it ROCKS.

Naim vs. Linn:
As a long term owner of both brands, Linn is superior in sources and speakers. Linn is "just right" where Naim is "impressive"
:D
The amps are more similar in sound and tune...but for same musicality Naim is more expensive.
And the Klimax range is the BEST amps I ever heard - period
:shock:
It's all about musical understanding!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Carle,
I've had on loan a CDX2 some years ago when my cd player was a Kark III. Just to comment with Fredrik's and Vidar's words the Naim player had surely more "tonal colours" but the Linn player was clearly more in tune. That is, the Karik was the best at palying music.
I agree with Fredrik that the use of tune method is the great and highly distinctive value of this forum and a strong "communication platform" for all of us users. If we agree on the method the informations we share will be always immediately understandable and meaningful.

ciao,
Paolo
carle

Now I know what Tune Dem is

Post by carle »

First impressions with the CDX2 in my living room (as compared to Karik/Numerik): The CDX2 is better at playing sounds, but no match for the music rendering of the K/N combo
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Now I know what Tune Dem is

Post by Music Lover »

carle wrote:First impressions with the CDX2 in my living room (as compared to Karik/Numerik): The CDX2 is better at playing sounds, but no match for the music rendering of the K/N combo
To be fair, Naim needs a few days warming up.
If it's a brand new unit it need weeks...
Please let it play CD's for some days and get back with your findings.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Did the first impressions last, carle?
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

I tried the CDX2 (with internal power supply) in my home for a week about a year ago. I think my Ikemi was a lot better. I'm certain my Classik Movie Di was better to. Now I have the Majik CD, a very nice step up from the Ikemi. Try the Majik in your home, I'm sure you will like it, for the price. (Unidisks are better...) I agree with carle and paolo about the nice sounding Naim and nice playing Linn issue. More music with the Linn players!
carle

Post by carle »

The CDX2 did not improve noticeably with time, so I sent it back to the store. This week I sold my Karik/Numerik and when a buyer came and picked up the Numerik, I switched back to the Karik for comparison. Although it was a clear step back from running it with the Numerik, I was surprised to find that tunewise, even the Karik alone was better than the CDX2.

I am now waiting for my Majik CD.
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Not a bad choice IMHO. The last Majik CD I had at home was very impressive. Both in sound character and the way it plays tunes.

Funny signature! :D
Erik

Post by Erik »

I think one of the major problems is that Naim is very sensitive to the mains quality and the switched power supplies Linn use ruins the tune for Naim systems. I have tried to mix Linn and Naim recently and I have never heard a CD12 be so tired and bad tyned before. Also my naimed LP12 suffered a lot when the CD12 was connected.

/Erik
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Erik wrote:I think one of the major problems is that Naim is very sensitive to the mains quality and the switched power supplies Linn use ruins the tune for Naim systems.
Have same experience as Erik.
Pity as both brands are REALLY REALLY good.

Re Naim DSP's, you should try CDS1, CDS2 or CDS3. They are much better and you need that level to start getting music out of the CD's!
Great value used today, given that you like the Naim sound. :mrgreen:

Have an old friend that owned all (upgraded) and in a full Naim system they are truly great. Was even OK compared to his LP12 :wink:

FWIW, I had a full spec LP12/Lingo and no issues with the 52/250 combo.
In the early 90's, Naim had better amps than Linn.