Naim speakers with Linn electronics

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

markiteight

Naim speakers with Linn electronics

Post by markiteight »

I am hunting for a pair of speakers to complete my system (LP12/Lingo, Linto, Kairn, Klout) and just came across a lovely pair of Naim SBLs for sale. I have very little experience with Naim products and the only time I've heard their speakers (DBLs behind a six pack of 135s) they sounded absolutely dreadful. However I've heard a lot of positive opinions on the SBL and I find their design and engineering quite appealing.

Art Dudley's period review of the SBL in HiFi Heretic indicates that these speakers should appeal to practitioners of the Tune method: "Sonically, the Naim SBLs are remarkable, albeit in unexpected ways...the SBLs simply make you take notice of the music in a less analytical (but perhaps ultimately more meaningful) way...The SBLs have, above all, an immediate, involving sound. They're fun to listen to, period."

I find it curious that while Linn speakers driven by Naim electronics was a popular arrangement, I've never heard of anyone doing the opposite: Linn electronics driving Naim speakers. I'm curious why. Is there a fundamental incompatibility that prevents this combination from working? Or is it simply that by the time Naim started making their own speakers the "divorce" between the two companies was complete and people simply didn't bother flirting with the "other" side?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Naim speakers with Linn electronics

Post by Music Lover »

Naim speakers are quite special. I guess that's the reason...
It's all about musical understanding!
Erik

Post by Erik »

I’ve had a few of the classic models (IBL, SBL, SL2 and DBL) and tried at least the latter ones with Solos with good results.
SBLs are (as all other speakers but in a more unforgiving way) sensitive to set up and positioning.

Erik
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I have some experience with both options and must say naim electronics with linn speakers just seems to be the safer bet. You really need to try for yourself to know I'm afraid. Linn Majik 109 are very good speakers and outperformed naim allaes even with naim electronics in my old room (loved that combo for several years). I did never get along with linn klimax kontrol/tundra 2 and naim IBLs, turned back to lesser naim electronics to get my system to sing. I never tried the IBLs against Majik 109, but I know they are better than a good pair of Kans at least (tested with naim electronics).
the players of instruments shall be there..