A reality check

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

A reality check

Post by beck »

Listen to the man below. Something for all to think about! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjTQsY8rhaM
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: A reality check

Post by ThomasOK »

An interesting video and, although I see his point, I have two disagreements with him. One is that the best turntable, a Linn LP12 with a good arm and cartridge, does indeed reduce the audibility of surface noise and the better the LP12 (Radikal, Keel, etc.) the more effective it is at reducing the audibility of the surface noise and vinyl defects, in my experience. The second is that noise is almost always with us. Has anybody ever gone to a concert where nobody has coughed throughout the perfromance? Coughs, people moving in their seats, people clapping before the piece is over, idiots yelling "Rock and Roll" at a concert that isn't, trains, planes and automobiles, subways, sirens, etc. A live perfromance is virtually always accompanied by at least some small disruptions, yet a good one can still capture our attention and move us emotionally. I have found the same is true in listening in the home with any reasonably good system.

Is it High-End? I'm not sure. Does it matter? Not to me. Most of what claims to be High-End leaves me cold whether digital or analog and the system he lists further down the page doesn't inspire me with confidence. OTOH, I don't have much disagreement with his thoughts on digital, but some of those making comments sure do. The digital brainwashing has certainly been effective with a number of his commenters, and I didn't even read very far down the page.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

For those who have not seen this video I put it up here again. Note his attitude at the end (kind of giving up). I still to this day find his observations relevant and interesting although I do not care much about the High End issue. Also read Thomas post above.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Interesting video.

I does paint in black and white a bit. Digital music can be emotionally involving in my experience. It's just that, on balance, analogue music takes me further down that path and is more accessible in the first place.

Agree with Tom's two points too.
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

some things are the way they are and we have to make the best out of it - there is another reality check video out there ... if you dont know it you should check it out and google „Audiophile Club of Athens by Ken Barnes“ ;)
lindsayt

Post by lindsayt »

In that video he is getting high end audio mixed up with perfect audio.

The sound and price of all audio is relative. High end audio comes in 2 different forms. High end by price. High end by sound quality. Any piece of audio equipment can be one or the other or both or neither.

Perfect audio reproduction doesn't exist. Some systems get a lot closer to it than others. And those are the ones that are high end by sound quality.

On the vinyl noise thing. If he can hear background hiss or clicks or pops once the music starts, he either has a sub-optimum turntable or an abused vinyl record. Clean unscratched vinyl on a good turntable has no audible background noise once the music starts. You might hear some on the run in groove if you whack the volume up.