Amplification options

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Peter Lanky

Amplification options

Post by Peter Lanky »

I am currently using the following: Klimax Renew DS/1, Majik-i, Majik 140 with upgraded plinths (biwired), silver interconnects.

Every so often I get the urge to consider new options, which is usually the amp, as I can't really see an inexpensive worthwhile upgrade option for the speakers, which are 100% mint whereas s/h speakers rarely are.

So the 3 options are:
1) Don't do anything
2) Buy s/h Klimax Twin
3) Buy new Lejonklou Tundra 2

Obviously option 1 is the cheapest and simplest, option 2 involves finding the right amp at the right price from a genuine seller, and option 3 probably involves paying a similar price to option 2 but possibly losing some of the ease of operation with Linn software, though reducing the risk of buying s/h. I am making the assumption that as I only use one source, that a preamp is unnecessary. I would also be able to listen to the Tundra (with a bit of travel) before buying, but would have to rely only on the reputation of the Klimax Twin.

So my question is: has anyone used either the Twin or the Tundra with the source/speakers I am using, or has the technical knowledge to predict the level of improvement I may experience? Is there an option 4 that I've not considered?
KDS/3 - 2 x Tundra Mono - Graham Audio LS5/9f
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Amplification options

Post by Tendaberry »

Or go for option 4: Lejonklou Boazu...
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I would not replace the Majik-I with just a power amp when using a Renew DS.

If you want to sell the Majik-I then Tendaberry's option 4 is the best idea.

The Tundra 2 has been a good match for my 140s (steel bases and 2db cut) so I can only assume the Boazu is a good match also, although I've not actually heard that combination. If you buy new then best to have a demonstration if at all possible.
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

I would keep at least your Majik-I as a preamp

M.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

The digital volume control on KDS/1 ( KRDS/1) is really quite poor - so my advice is to keep with an analogue preamp.

Boazu is an incredibly good integrated amp and a great option, if that falls within your budget.

Sagatun and Tundra stereo worth it if you can stretch to it.

I would not bother with Klimax Twin unless you need the aesthetics of its admittedly gorgeous Klimax case.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

+1 Couldn't have said it better.

The preamp is musically more important than the power amp so something like a KCT, or a musically superior Tundra 2.2, is really a waste without a better preamp than the Majik-I or the DVC in the KRDS to drive it. But the Boazu gives you a quite fine preamp and an excellent power amp in one box at a price a touch less than a Tundra 2.2. Then again, a Sagatun/Tundra will take you up to an even more musical level if you can stretch to it after selling the Majik-I.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

I couldn't justify the Sagatun/Tundra option on price, so if I did make a move it would have to be the Boazu. I'm sure I would find the speakers inadequate anyway with the former, and be tempted to spend even more.

I shall have to take a listen when I'm nearby somewhere that stocks them, which would probably involve a trip to Carlisle. I'm guessing that there is no way of operating with this option without the addition of a further remote control (or the old fashioned getting up out of the chair and pressing the buttons).
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Does your username indicate residence in Lancashire?

If so I'd be happy to give you relevant information via PM.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

David Neel wrote:Does your username indicate residence in Lancashire?

If so I'd be happy to give you relevant information via PM.
Yes, located in Wigan which doesn't do hif-fi shops, in fact it doesn't really do shops at all other than the usual charity shops and pound shops. Nearby Bolton offers nothing either as far as I'm aware, since Cleartone closed some years ago.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Peter,

Boazu comes with a minimalistic remote, one that will also control your Renew for playing, skipping and pausing tracks, so no need to leave your comfy listening position for hours.

When I dropped in at new dealer Concerto Audio in Amsterdam yesterday, they had Sagatun stereo playing with two Tundra Monos, driving a pair of Majik 140s with the upgraded bases. Source was KDS(M) with DVC disabled.

Admittedly, source and amplification are on a higher level there but what it comes down to were the Majiks...I never heard passive M140s sounding this good!
And the best part is that neither had actually the folks at Concerto. ;-)

Playing 'Convergence' from Malia or the album 'Blood' from Rhye and you just want to turn up the volume more and more. But have a listen at the classic ' Horowitz in Moscow' registration and you'll become enchanted too.

A Boazu with your Renew DS1 is a great musical combination. Have a listen at Kantata in Carlisle - they may not have M140s on demo but if you bring your Renew then John Stirling makes a superb host in demonstrating you Boazu with a pair of passive (Linn) speakers.

Do get the factory soldered Linn interconnects in between source and amp if you haven't done already.

Looking forward to your listening impressions and best regards from Amsterdam,

Marco
Last edited by mrco99 on 2018-03-17 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
David Neel
Very active member
Very active member

Post by David Neel »

Peter, you have PM.
The search for knowledge is not nourished by certainty, but by a radical distrust in certainty
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

mrco99 wrote:
A Boazu with your Renew DS1 is a great musical combination.

Marco
I would second that.

. Boazu sounds great with my KDS/2, whether hooked up to my 242s or Komponents.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Peter,

Don’t forget “source first”! Upgrading your KRDS/1 to a KRDS/2 for about £1k will definitely give you the most musical upgrade for the lowest cost.

Then, when you have added a good musical equipment support (eg Isoblue) and you have checked that you have a musical power supply, you can start looking at amplification.

Getting your mains sorted out will cost £300-500, and an Isoblue will be a similar amount, so now we’re up to about £2k total upgrade cost and we haven’t thought about amplification yet!
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

I think I'd rather have a KRDS/1 with a Boazu than a /2 with a Majik-i, but admit I have not compared them directly... +1 for power supply & support (those I've heard ;)
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

I would also go Boazu with KRDS/1.

I never did the KDS/1 to KDS/2 upgrade as I thought it was quite minor, particularly in comparison to the Tundra Mono upgrade I'd just done. Hence I don't see KRDS/1 to KRDS/2 as the best move.
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I did do the KDS/1 to KDS/2 and remember it as being significant, although not anywhere as profound as going from KRDS/0 to KDS/1 - that really was some upgrade. Apparently KDS/2 to KDS/3 is also a huge upgrade.

I agree that the Tundra Mono 2 upgrade was a great upgrade although I have a feeling that it was not just the improvement in musicality that was so impressive, it was also the better sound - the combined effect was transformational.

I suppose it depends on just how good the Majik I is, especially in terms of pre amp abilities. If it is anything like my old Kolektor then definitely go for the Boazu. If it is more like the AK/1 I had, then maybe look at the source.

My own feeling is to do Boazu first and wait for KRDS/3 to be released with the next KDS/4 upgrade.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

Not that I was even considering a source upgrade, but I was always led to believe that a KRDS was not upgradable, and I was happy with that. Any upgrade at the moment therefore would be with the amplification.

Even as a relative novice however, it would seem strange to me to consider upgrading a very good KRDS of whatever type when I am still eventually limited by Majik Speakers.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Peter,

Sorry to step in but I think I need to clarify - you can´t upgrade a Renew DS itself to another version.
Only ´upgrade´ possibility is to sell it on and buy a better DS - which I believe is meant in an earlier post.

Do you have the Majik-I in LK or in Majik enclosure?
Either way, an AK/1 would be a clear step up from any Majik-I, but requires another poweramp section to go with it.

Considering your system I´d still recommend listening to Boazu.
You only have one source so don´t require an amplifier that is rich on features, but rich on musicality instead.
Imho Boazu will deliver you just that.

KDS3/Katalyst is indeed one of the most significant improvements ever of the Klimax DS series.
So I think whenever a new KDS4 is going to be presented, there will be huge demand for its Renew offspring...
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Peter Lanky wrote:Even as a relative novice however, it would seem strange to me to consider upgrading a very good KRDS of whatever type when I am still eventually limited by Majik Speakers.
I think M140s are entirely in keeping with your system. Personally, I'd upgrade source and amplification before looking at better speakers. In my experience, M140s continue to reveal upstream improvements with ease. I'm only now looking to replace my 140s with 242s and my system is Klimax LP12, KK1, Tundra Stereo.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

mrco99 wrote:Do you have the Majik-I in LK or in Majik enclosure?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Can you elaborate please.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Peter Lanky wrote:
2 versions of Majik-i:
LK: https://goo.gl/images/kGtzhX
'majik': https://goo.gl/images/EQcSgj
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Just one more point on the 140s, I know we try to emphasis the musical side of any advice, but I was surprised by how much more controlled the bass is on my 140s when upgrading from 4200 to Tundra Stereo. I'd always assumed the 140s were just quite ill-defined in this area due to cheap drive units, but actually, they are capable of reproducing bass instruments in a very well controlled and tuneful way. Whereas, previously, it was not always easy to hear what bass notes were being played - it was a kind of deeply resonate melee, albeit pleasant enough.
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

tokenbrit wrote:
Peter Lanky wrote:
2 versions of Majik-i:
LK: https://goo.gl/images/kGtzhX
'majik': https://goo.gl/images/EQcSgj
Mine's the more modern one.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Charlie1 wrote:Just one more point on the 140s...
To echo Charlie's findings, years ago I took my floorstanders of the time back to my dealer for an extended audition of possible source & amplification upgrades. They weren't 140s - in fact they were quite a bit below that level but, for fun, the dealer kept improving the source & amplifiers all the way up to Linn's then top of the range: CD12, Kairn, & Klouts. Despite my floorstanders probably not costing more than a few pairs of Linn Silvers that were connecting the system, they were more than able to demonstrate the upstream improvements.
I am sure that your M140s are good enough to be the last items in your system to update, once you are happy with the rest. If you can, take your DS/1 & your Majik with you and listen to them with Linn speakers for a familiar sound, then try Boazu in place of the Majik. If your dealer has a used DS/2 on hand to compare DS/2 & Majik vs DS/1 & Boazu then so much the better, but I am betting that you'll be taken with the Boazu :)
Peter Lanky

Post by Peter Lanky »

One further point I'd overlooked earlier. Before my Majik-i, I had an Exposure pre and power amp combination which although it gave an excellent sound, produced a background hiss that annoyed me when there was no music playing. The big difference when I acquired the Majik-i was the complete silence when no music was playing. Can I expect the same from a Boazu?