Lingo1 v. Lingo2

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Lingo1 v. Lingo2

Post by bonzo »

with the exception of Lingo1, (and now Keel, SE, trampolin) im max'd out on my lp12 with ekos2, Akiva, Linto. I havent had a chance to even hear lingo2...seems a value oriented upgrade as lingo 1 is getting 1000usd on second hand market. Worth doing or save the 500 bucks or so?
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

You should definetly go for the Lingo 2. I would guess that the performance of Lingo 2 - Adikt is better then Lingo 1 - Akiva.
Vidar P

Re: Lingo1 v. Lingo2

Post by Vidar P »

bonzo wrote: I havent had a chance to even hear lingo2...seems a value oriented upgrade as lingo 1 is getting 1000usd on second hand market. Worth doing or save the 500 bucks or so?
It would be impossible to decide for you on this one, as different peoples priorities may be different; and it's quite easy to do the dem at home if you have the Lingo 1 already; as the plugs are the same.
However; I bought the Lingo 2 after living with the Lingo 1 for 12 years. I was absolutely surprised on how much lower the noise-floor was; and the Lingo 2 managed to bring forth far more low level detail from the records; detail that brings texture and organic crispness to instruments, colour and microdynamics to vocals and instruments, air and space to the soundstage etc.
All in all I thought it was a significant step up; and returning to the old one was like removing lots of small detail that brought life and meaning to the music.

This Lingo 2 is in a very open sounding system with LP12/Aro/Rohmann, with NAC552/NAP300 amps driving Spendor S9e/Rel Storm V speakers via Chord Signature cables in a large room. It may be that results would be different in another system; but all in all the Lingo 2 has a far larger potential for sounding good imo.

Regards
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I would have to agree with the other posts, it is definitely a worthwhile upgrade. It is easier to follow what is going on in the music, bass instruments are more tuneful and expressive and there is a top to bottom musical improvement.

Aonther "upgrade" worth trying, especially for those with Akivas or other high-end MC cartridges is using two Lintos. You simply connect one Linto up to each channel. It makes a quite noticeable improvement. I have been using a 2 Linto setup for some tiem and am quite happy with the results.
9designs

Post by 9designs »

I just moved from Lingo 1 to 2. Sold my original 1, for a second hand 2, so the cost to upgrade was about 300GBP..... Now I don't use bold claims of "huge" improvements etc, so the improvement was subtle, on first hearing, (it become more apparent of time) but I would echo the type of improvement of others, music just seem to make more sense, the Lingo 1 sound confused, and hard to follow bass lines. Would also agree the detail, and texture of instruments is that bit more apparent. Rhythmically the 2 just seems to lock on to the tempo, and drive it along with more control....

For the small outlay, I'd of been happy to sell my Lingo 1 and bought a new one... so a used one was easy to decided.....
Go for it !
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Guys,
Thanks for the feedback.. looks like a slam dunk...and as 9 designs said, after selling L1, should only be 6-800usd. (not many more upgrades available at that pricepoint).

Im interested in the "2 Linto Theory" :? any others with experiences here
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

There is at least one guy in Lund (Sweden) with 2 Lintos! I had the pleasure of attending a "music evening" at his place and his system did indeed sound awesome! (Full spec LP12, Kontrol, Chakra, Aktiv Akkurat).

Didn't do the demo 1 vs 2 Lintos though! Per might have some more information...
per

Post by per »

That was a nice musical evening! Actually, we arranged another musical evening yesterday (at our friend with two Lintos), very nice. However, I have never done a comparision 1 vs 2 Linto.

Last year I upgraded from Lingo v1 to the newer Lingo. The new Lingo is quite superior in performance. I would really recommend that upgrade. It is difficult to describe the improvment, other than "simply better".
sommerfee
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sommerfee »

Hi!

Maybe we should make an own topic about that issue?
bonzo wrote:Im interested in the "2 Linto Theory" :? any others with experiences here
I tried it two times, at first it was impressive, so much more details and "room". But regarding tune dem it was a little bit worse and there was a tonal change, too, making all singers singing a little bit brighter than they used to be. :?

A friend of mine bought 2 Lintos but changed back to one Linto after some months.

Is there a trick you have to follow to make 2 Lintos really sound better than one?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

sommerfee wrote:Maybe we should make an own topic about that issue?
Good idea, but it's not right to split this topic as all posts contain info about Lingo 1/2 as well.
Pediatrik

Post by Pediatrik »

sommerfee wrote:Is there a trick you have to follow to make 2 Lintos really sound better than one?
I suspect that the latest member (nr 58 ) might have some input on this issue! :wink:

PS Another musical evening in Lund! I guess it was as good as the last one! I sure do miss these evenings here on my island! :( DS
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Regarding the comparison Lingo 1 vs Lingo 2, I must point out that there is a slight variation in absolute speed between all Lingo units.

If you run into a situation where you have a Lingo 1 that is on the slow side and compare it with a Lingo 2 that is on the fast side, you can get 0.5% higher speed and this is very noticeable.

If you do a proper Tune Dem, it is still possible to determine which of the two is performing better, but if you judge by "pace and rhythm" or similar, you might jump to the conclusion that one of the unit makes the music feel slow. This is because it actually is slower.

I am not saying you shouldn't do this comparison, I just wanted to point out something that might distract you from the actual performance differences.

The absolute speed of the LP12 is adjusted at the motor and should ideally be done using your own Lingo.
davestp1

Post by davestp1 »

Can anyone advise what serial number the lingo 2 started at?
Dave
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

serial 614522, Linn kept Lingo 1 innards, but moved to the bigger LK box
serial 656968, Linn introduced what we call Lingo2 with surface mount technology