Linn Ekos SE vs Ekos SE/1 comparison

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

jewa

Linn Ekos SE vs Ekos SE/1 comparison

Post by jewa »

I recently swapped the original Ekos SE to the new Ekos SE/1. At the same time my dealer helped to record the difference, we tried to make is as close as possible, but still is still not 100% scientific.

Have fun listening:

EKOS SE
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lnd86tu4bs39t ... .flac?dl=0

EKOS SE/1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oobrxrfcf787z ... .flac?dl=0

/jrr
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Linn Ekos SE vs Ekos SE/1 comparison

Post by Tendaberry »

Interesting how the clicks and pops at the beginning disturb me a lot less with the SE/1. That said, the Ekos SE/1 is a lot funkier.
Erik

Post by Erik »

I did the upgrade when the /1 was released and I remember it as being bigger than expected. More musical and a much better bass.

/Erik
Last edited by Erik on 2018-02-09 06:33, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Erik wrote:More musical and a muck better bass.
Yeah, bass is more tuneful on SE/1. It's a bit dreary and (by contrast) slightly out of tune on the SE.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Very cool! I have never done this comparison before as I installed my own Ekos SE/1 a couple of weeks after having sold my original. The improvement is quite impressive: more textured and tuneful bass, cymbals sounding more real and less splashy, better voice rendition and less obvious surface noise. Certainly makes me glad I made the changeover.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
teatime

Post by teatime »

Interesting comparison! Thanks for sharing it!

How was the recording made? I first thought it was done using songcorder, but the bit rate is lower than what it puts out.
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Very nice comparison! Easy to hear the difference. Would you please give some more information about how it done. Is it the same deck with the two arms? Same cartrige? How is the recording done?
jewa

Post by jewa »

Thanks for sharing your impressions!

It is exactly the same LP12 (Cherry plinth/Keel/Akurate Radikal/Ekos SE/Adikt/KDSM Exakt /ADSM (internal MM-stage)). I was not adjusted by my dealer for some time, perhaps it was two years ago. And it wasn't really super adjusted after the fitting of the new Ekos SE, but perhaps a little better than before. But it wasn't something my dealer did deliberately in any case. Will be bringing it in for a regular service this spring.

Also the same T-cable was used, and pickup wiring. I kept my old silver T-cable! And also my Ekos SE was from the year of the introduction, I guess it was 7 years ago.

It was recorded with some kind of ”ripping the stream”-app when playing through Exakt, I don’t know what name of the app (likely songcorder). It was all done by my dealer Anders at Tonlaget. Then I did some editing to get a clean start and ending, and exported the files as 96k.

I later made the upgrade of my Radikal, from Akurate to Klimax, will be uploading those files as well.
Last edited by jewa on 2018-02-11 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
teatime

Post by teatime »

Was this a few months back? I'm starting to think I was there when it was made! :)
You got the Klimax Radikal ex-dem from Tonläget? In that case, this recording was made with (what became) my KDSM! :D
jewa

Post by jewa »

OK, yes, then It was though your KDSM then!
teatime

Post by teatime »

Thought so! I thought I recognized the song too! Interestingly, my impression of the difference at the time was that it was smaller than I feel now, listening to these clips. But then, quantifying differences is never easy.

I rather enjoy being able to record vinyl like this, as it means I can pick from my vinyl collection as well when loading up the music player for the daily commute. The results are usually better than any digital copy I can find of said albums. Anders warns about transcoding down the rip though. It always becomes much worse, according to him. So I just stay at the default resolution and leave the run-in. Kinda fun to hear the needle hit the groove, in headphones, on the train! :)
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Thanks a lot for the description. This is a really interesting way to compare upgrades and keep track of performance. The degrade in performance of cartridges and other components are usually slow and not so easily detected if you don't have a reference.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

Thanks for the comparision. I'm on my way to probably swap my old Ekos II against Ekos SE. But if order, does it mean you can choose SE or SE/1?
Trust your ears
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

If you order a new arm you will get an Ekos SE/1. It replaced the original version which hasn’t been made for a few years.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Hermann
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Hermann »

upps... Thx Thomas for that information.
Trust your ears