Post by Matteo »

The link doesn't work.

M.
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: New LP12 Urika II phonostage and Lingo 4

Post by Tendaberry »

Linn removed the whole thread very quickly. Info too soon as it seems.
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

Linn dealers were summoned to Glasgow this week. Please watch Linn's news feed tomorrow. I can't comment any more. ;)
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

some dealers have the info already online:
https://pearlaudiovideo.com/blogs/news/ ... ondek-lp12
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Odd case for Lingo 4 ...

M.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Yes, I wonder why they made it that way?
To be put aside another device or even near to the LP12 itself?

I also wonder if Lingo 4 only works with their latest (and much more expensive) LP12 motor unit, or if older ones also can be used....

20180130094107_Linn_Lingo_4_cover.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

no official announcement yet
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

https://www.linn.co.uk/hifi-separates/t ... es#urika-2

https://www.linn.co.uk/hifi-separates/t ... lies#lingo

https://www.linn.co.uk/hifi-separates/turntables

I already have the Radikal and I'm not going to follow the Exakt route, so these are not interesting news from Linn for me.

M.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

mrco99 wrote: I also wonder if Lingo 4 only works with their latest (and much more expensive) LP12 motor unit, or if older ones also can be used....
It works with the new 12VAC motor only.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Yes, Linn has finally dropped the other shoe and announced the Urika II and new Lingo, aka Lingo 4 but cleverly named just plain Lingo by Linn (probably says Lingo/3 on the case). The new Lingo is a DSP controlled AC motor controller, similar to the Rega RP10 motor controller and others, but I'm sure with Linn's own twist. It runs with a 12Volt AC motor that is included with it and sells for $1890US. This seems to me like a quite good use of DSP as you can shape the waveform and adjust the phase to make the ideal signal for accurate rotation with minimum vibration. As you can see from the photo above most of the circuitry fits inside the LP12, although I'm pretty sure it will have a metal case like the Majik PSU. The power supply box is much smaller than even the Lingo 1 and could be hidden away somewhere. It connects to the board with what looks to be a 4 pin XLR cable. I'm sure putting it in this box helps keep the price down and a bigger case isn't required since the heavy lifting is done inside the turntable. There are three different connectors on the board besides the XLR for power and the terminal strip for the motor so I'm not sure how the power/speed selector switch hooks up or what the other connectors are for. Hopefully a technical webinar for dealers on Thursday will shed more light on things.

The Urika II is digital phono stage with Exakt and optical outputs. I don't know if there are any limitations to the optical output but obviously the Exaktlink outputs 24/192. There are no analog outputs so it is designed to be used with an Exakt DS or DSM unit. The digitization of the signal is supposed to have been done as early as possible and the RIAA EQ is done in the digital domain. It also allows adjustment of loading for your cartridge, and from the sound of it possibly other factors, from your armchair - I assume using Konfig. It runs $3570US, very little more than the original Urika. The Uphorik and the analog Urika continue on "for the foreseeable future".
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
teatime

Post by teatime »

Thanks for the info, ThomasOk! I'm itching to hear it! :)
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matt

Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

matthias wrote:Some Lingo pictures:

https://shop.grahams.co.uk/products/linn-lingo-iv

Matt
The case seems smaller from these pics.

M.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Matteo wrote: The case seems smaller from these pics.
I think there is nothing more than the SMPS inside.

Matt
Matt

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Interesting photos! There is obviously more to it than the initial info from Linn mentioned. It appears to use the same photoelectric speed sensor as the Radikal and the same power switch as well. The new motor has the top and bottom flanges on the pulley allowing the removal of the belt bracket so the wires from the sensor can use one of the holes. The motor also dispenses with the no longer needed tilt screws which allows for mounting of the sensor board. The top plate of the motor is covered by some sort of plastic material, I can't tell how hard, that must act to absorb energy. All these things are very similar to the Radikal and means that the new Lingo is also using a slow servo to control the motor speed. In a lot of ways this makes it operate very much like the Radikal. However it has a much less expensive motor that is AC instead of DC and the power supply does not need to also drive a Urika. I imagine the 12V motor was chosen for lower vibration but it might also have been needed to allow this kind of circuitry to work with it. It looks like I will need to develop some new torques.
The LP12 Whisperer
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ThomasOK wrote:Interesting photos!........All these things are very similar to the Radikal and means that the new Lingo is also using a slow servo to control the motor speed.
Yes interesting, it is an AC motor, so they must be controlling the speed of the motor by variation of the AC frequency and not the voltage.

Matt
Matt

j22928

Post by j22928 »

I requested and received a new Linn pricelist yesterday. Besides the new LP12 products were prices for Akurate Katalyst.
Jim
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

j22928 wrote:I requested and received a new Linn pricelist yesterday. Besides the new LP12 products were prices for Akurate Katalyst.
Interesting

May you attached it here?

M.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote:Interesting photos! There is obviously more to it than the initial info from Linn mentioned. It appears to use the same photoelectric speed sensor as the Radikal and the same power switch as well. The new motor has the top and bottom flanges on the pulley allowing the removal of the belt bracket so the wires from the sensor can use one of the holes. The motor also dispenses with the no longer needed tilt screws which allows for mounting of the sensor board. The top plate of the motor is covered by some sort of plastic material, I can't tell how hard, that must act to absorb energy. All these things are very similar to the Radikal and means that the new Lingo is also using a slow servo to control the motor speed. In a lot of ways this makes it operate very much like the Radikal. However it has a much less expensive motor that is AC instead of DC and the power supply does not need to also drive a Urika. I imagine the 12V motor was chosen for lower vibration but it might also have been needed to allow this kind of circuitry to work with it. It looks like I will need to develop some new torques.
Thanks!
This can be a good upgrade if Linn implemented it correctly.
It's all about musical understanding!
j22928

Post by j22928 »

Katalyst Exact Upgrade for Akubarik $22170
Katalyst Upgrade for Exact Akubarik $ 6240
Katalyst Upgrade for Akudorik $ 4550
Exact Dorik Upgrade Stands $17160
Jim
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

j22928 wrote:Katalyst Exact Upgrade for Akubarik $22170
Katalyst Upgrade for Exact Akubarik $ 6240
Katalyst Upgrade for Akudorik $ 4550
Exact Dorik Upgrade Stands $17160
These are not new.

I thought you were referring to the Katalyst upgrade for Akurate DS, that is going to become effective in Spring.

M.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

A few addendums on the Urika II.
•The adjustment to loading for different cartridges is done through different resistors, etc. as in the Uphorik. However the switching is done electronically through the interface in Konfig rather than mechanically.
•The initial gain stage is analog to bring it up to the level to drive the ADC properly.
•The optical output is only for recording.
•It was stated that it must be connected to a DS or DSM with Exaktlink to function. Not only is this necessart to allow adjustments to be made but the Urika II appears to get the clock signal from the DS/DSM.
•You do not need an Exakt system to use the Urika II but you do need a DS or DSM with Exaktlink. If you have one of those you can connect the Urika II to it and then either use the DVC or a separate preamp to feed your amps or speakers.
•Linn did not include an analog output stage as they state that their best analog output stage is the KDS with Katalyst. So they would have had to connect a KDS to the bottom of the LP12.
•Currently two Urika IIs can be hooked up to a DS or DSM. Of course this would be if it wasn't using one of the ports to drive Exakt speakers or crossovers. They said that Exakt could theoretically handle more in future but then clammed up about how this would be accomplished. Sounds like equipment with more Exakt ports or an Exakt hub are likely down the road.
The LP12 Whisperer
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The new Lingo is currently scheduled to start shipping around February 12th. I agree that this sounds likely to be a very good product. Sort of a baby Radikal.
The LP12 Whisperer