220 in US

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

220 in US

Post by bonzo »

A few years ago I ran a dedicated circuit, 30 amp 110v from the panel to my listening room. I did this in my previous residence as well, I’ve worked with electricians in the past. Question I have I believe this is the case, is couldn’t I run a 220 line in place of my current 110? With the equipment I have being able to run on both currents, while illegal and not up to electrical code, am I correct in the assumption that I could in fact leave the 110 V receptacle in the wall connected to a 220 line; and from there plug my outlet strip (no on/off switch, no surge protection) in the existing outlet and essentially keep everything plugged in as it is now? Again, I’m not crazy ncerned with electrical code for the purpose of this thread. Lastly, has anyone does this and what was the improvement in musicality?
Thanking the group in advance,
Jon
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
ropedrag

Re: 220 in US

Post by ropedrag »

Put that idea out of your head, please.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

The purpose of the electrical code is to save lives. Why would you choose to put yourself and your family at risk of death?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I think there might be legal ways to install 230 V in the US, but I don't know the details around this. Ask an electrician!

What you should absolutely not do is connect 230 V to your standard 110-115V curcuits. Not safe! Furthermore, my power amps and the integrated Boazu are internally set for 115 or 230 V, due to them sounding much better hardwiring that way than letting the power supplies utilise their built-in autorange. So you can't plug your 115 V Tundra Mono's into 230 V without damaging the power supplies. The preamps Sagatun and Sagatun Mono, however, are full autorange and can be used all over the world without internal rewiring.

And furthermore (third point) is that I'm unsure whether you will gain any performance from 230 V. I know that some products are said to sound better on 230 than 115, but when I've tested mine, my impression is they sound great on the lower voltage. And that is with a massive 2:1 transformer that sits in between my 230 V outlet and the 115 V products, which I am certain is not good for performance (because using the same type of transformer with a 1:1 wiring with 230 V products and 230 V outlet results in a clear drop in performance).
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

OK gentlemen, message received. Thank you all for your suggestions and more importantly your concern for safety of those living within my four walls. I will not run a 220 line, more so due to the fact that I would have to be without my amps for a while while they got converted to 220 V. Perhaps I shall save for upgraded stands for my 242. I did just receive an unexpected refund check from my flood insurance company stating I am no longer in a flood zone, which is all just a scam anyhow. But 1400 bucks is 1400 bucks I’ll take it
Linn Pekin
vicdiaz

Post by vicdiaz »

220/240V is legally used in the US for certain appliances (AC units, Stove, Heater, etc.) so I don't see any reason you can't run a 220/240V circuit to your music room to power your system as long as you use 220/240V receptables/plugs and is installed by a certified electrician.
Vic
Ivor's "Tune-Method Seminar" Alumni
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Thanks for your response and information Vic. I just converted from gas to electric dryer.. of course a 220 line. My goal/hope was to not have to get all new power cords for 220.. hence my question.. however I don’t see me giving up these amps so that will have to wait
Linn Pekin