Cable advice wanted for Linn Majik system

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Raylogic

Cable advice wanted for Linn Majik system

Post by Raylogic »

Hello

*Forgive (or not!) any lack of etiquette and / or general lack of understanding with regard to the principles relating to domestic Hi-Fi*

Currently underway stripping out one of our rooms (the largest - upstairs, end terrace) in preparation for redecoration. The intention being to complete by the end of March.

The target kit list for the hi-fi (to secure between now and then) is:-

- Linn Majik DSM v1 (HDMI) x
- Linn Majik 6100 x
- Linn Majik 140 (upgraded base) ✓
- Synology 218+ NAS x

Depending on £££ I may not be able to go active straight away but for purposes of cabling I would rather you assumed active now..

I've possibly got bigger issues to deal with such as I'm not allowed to carpet so it's a wooden floor..

Anyway that aside, I guess I still need to think about speaker cable (oh and interconnects albeit I guess I need to search another post on that subject) and here I would very much welcome your input.

- product
- length
- termination
- specification and process for soldering if applicable
- any other business

Thanks a lot.

R.
- Linn [placeholder], M6100 (active), M140, K400.
- BT Homehub 5, Netgear GS105, [placeholder].
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cable advice wanted for Linn Majik system

Post by lejonklou »

Hi Raylogic and welcome to the forum!

I moved this post of yours to a separate topic, as the one you posted in was specific for discussing the optimal length of speaker cables.

I haven't heard of anyone else determining the optimal length of black K400, or any other loudspeaker cable for that matter. If you want my advice, it's simply to make as many 2.48 m long black K400 as you need and terminate them with Linn Knekt. The silver K200 is OK too, although not as musical IMHO. I am always searching for something even better, but this decade long quest turned out to be difficult and I currently spend very little time on it.

The soldered connection also makes a significant difference. Here you need the best solder wire, the right equipment and some practice. I currently have three dealers whose soldering equipment has been calibrated to 1 degree Celcius or 1 degree Fahrenheit using my preferred solder:
Chris Fuller of Hidden Systems, UK,
Thomas O'Keefe of Nokturne Audio, Michigan U.S.A, and
Marco Oudheusden of Hexagon Audio, the Netherlands.

If you want the termination perfectly made, I'd turn to one of them.
Raylogic

Post by Raylogic »

Thank you very much for your warm welcome and cable contacts. For a DIY project would you or they share the specification and process for the soldering.

I say DIY however I have a friend with a digital variable solder station etc so with the right components and instructions he ..may have a fighting chance.

Again thanks for the welcome I am enjoying reading this forum, albeit the majority of posts over my very inexperienced head.

I've been without a hi-fi for over 20yrs!

Ps. I see Linn no longer sell K400 :(
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Should be a good system once all put together.

General forum advise over the years is to not terminate your own ICs and to stick to standard 1.2m-long Linn Black or Silver ICs.

You could try Linn Skeets, even on carpet.

K200 should be fine for a new system in which you've not been used to K400. I found it a big step back musically, coming from K400. I did prefer the sound of K200 though.

I know one person thinks K200 sounds better at 5m instead of the 2.48m. Just something to consider.
Raylogic

Post by Raylogic »

Thank you Charlie.

Hopefully to the non experienced ears this rig will put me over the moon so I'll go with K200 & probably Black interconnects.

Just need someone to share the secret recipe for speaker terminations!

R.
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

Did you already read: http://www.lejonklou.com/products/cables/
with all linked documents?
Lots of good information there.

Kind regards,
Christian
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
Raylogic

Post by Raylogic »

Thanks Christian, I had not, however have now.

R.