Could it be Christmas in January?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Could it be Christmas in January?

Post by bonzo »

There is a Very good chance I will become a proud owner of a pair of Tundra Monos, current spec. I am lucky enough to have Thomas OK ship a pair to audition today. I can expect to have them hopefully by Friday, Saturday the latest. As this is a demo pair, no need for burn in. Just a week ago I thought about trading my 242s and KCT for 320As and 345. While I have always wanted to hear and possibly own solos, I just can’t deny the highest praise Frederik’s equipment receives, not to mention the consistency of outstanding feedback on this and the other forum. I truly feel like a kid on Christmas Eve! I will be sure to report back as soon as I can. Special thanks, again to Tom for being such a great help, class act, and genuinely kind person.

Jon
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Could it be Christmas in January?

Post by Music Lover »

Good decision!
Going to be just great.
I once had KK/Mono/242. (The Mono replaced Solos and Mono is more musical)

Then save up for Sagatun Mono.(that was my next step after Monos)
It's all about musical understanding!
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

I hope you find them as transformative as I did.
As Music Lover says, Sagatun Monos would then be the next step.
Happy listening!
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Have fun Jon!
Days like these don't come around very often. Maybe you should play some Matt Munro in honour ;)
Look forward to reading your feedback.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Jon,

Good to hear you´ve touched base with Thomas!
Have a great listening session, happy to read your feedback.

Cheers from Amsterdam,

Marco
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Thank you gentlemen for your replies. My dilemma now will be a lack of shelves. I’ve got enough to hold KRadikal, KK, and a Tundra Mono on their own shelf. Guess I’ll just have to order a few more Quadraspire Q4 shelves (I can’t swing $ for Monos And Harmoni rack). Thanks again!
Linn Pekin
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Expect your dilemma to grow, as once Tundra Monos have settled in, you are bound to get curious about exchanging KK with Sagatun Mono as has been suggested - meaning even more shelves to be required...

;-)
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Ron, in the meantime, I'm just being nosy and wondering what it is about aktiv replay that you were hoping to get back, based on your comments on the Linn forum? Is there something missing at the moment, or are you just in the position to make further improvements?
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Nothing missing at all. Just wanted to upgrade as well as try something new
Linn Pekin
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

While I haven’t had much time to listen to the tundra monos, it’s extremely evident that these are incredibly musical. I’m do agree that the amplifiers do get pretty loud with 242, not sure if they go as loud as I’m used to… And and I’m afraid of pushing them to the point of shutting off, as I’m just not comfortable or familiar enough with these amps. Further listening will take place in addition to swap in my KCT back in the system for a comparison. Once a decision is made I will elaborate on my findings but it is clear that these amplifiers are indeed something special, almost like that of a source upgrade
Linn Pekin
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Quick question for the group, if I do push these amps too much will they simply cut off I realize there’s no protection within the amps, I guess my question is if I play them too loud will it cause any harm to the amp or my speaker thank you
Linn Pekin
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Don't worry. You will clearly hear when they reach the limit. Then you turn down a bit.

They still going to play LOUD with 242. Loud enough it's up to you but when you get used to their musicality it's almost impossible to downgrade to Twin.
It's all about musical understanding!
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Ok, so tonight was the first time I’ve switched back to my KCT, with my bride in the room. No sooner did I place the needle down with the KCT in place and I didn’t even make it to my seat before my wife and I both looked at each other. She even apologized because she felt bad telling me my “old stereo” sounded bad. It was almost an aktiv sound.. with the tundras, we’ve never wanted to turn down the volume compared to the KCT sounded harsh, and compressed. The monos also sounded great.. vocals never heard before or lyrics that I was unable to make out were now easy to understand. My 12 yr old Son noticed the separation of instruments a great deal. Back to listening.. update soon
Linn Pekin
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Well, it’s happening. I’ve been listening to music since 7am and don’t think I can work today..;). Currently listening to Zeppelin1, Your Time is Gonna Come. Those that don’t know this, the beginning starts off with an organ and guitar quite gently but eerie, then it builds up to Plants roaring vocals and Bonham’s drums! It’s hard to explain, but I’ve always “wanted” this song, especially this part to sound great and sound “right” and until now it hasn’t... well finally it does!! Last night while looking for the next few records to play, something happened that has never happened before. The music cause me to immediately stop what I was doing an pop my head up much like a gopher or mole. The music caught my attention so much that I involuntarily stopped what I was doing and had to listen even more. Frederik, you are a magician with what you can do.. utterly transforming music so every song is a great one. Tom, your name has been mentioned a good deal in my home the last few days. Ok so now comes the part where I get yelled at.. I haven’t had the chance/haven’t wanted to stop listening long enough, to use the Multimeter and adjust the trim. I will do this this evening I hope.. is there much more to get from these beauties by trimming?
I’m basically a skeptic with most things. My youth and my previous work history has shown the worst in people and what they can/can’t do. When I read all the praise from sooo many members a small pet of me thought you had all drank the Kool Aid. Just couldn’t see how something like an amp could produce and draw such emotion. A wonderful product and yet so much more! Next report will be post trimming.
Jon
Linn Pekin
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Hi Jon,

Great to read your comments - the proof is in the listening! Just try and use the trimming function to see if there is any more improvement to be gained.

Most certainly you'll be in for another surprise when hearing Sagatun Monos in your system - a definite musical 'Stairway to heaven' ;-)

Enjoy and 'happy Christmas' !
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

bonzo wrote:Well, it’s happening. I’ve been listening to music since 7am and don’t think I can work today..;). Currently listening to Zeppelin1, Your Time is Gonna Come. Those that don’t know this, the beginning starts off with an organ and guitar quite gently but eerie, then it builds up to Plants roaring vocals and Bonham’s drums! It’s hard to explain, but I’ve always “wanted” this song, especially this part to sound great and sound “right” and until now it hasn’t... well finally it does!! Last night while looking for the next few records to play, something happened that has never happened before. The music cause me to immediately stop what I was doing an pop my head up much like a gopher or mole. The music caught my attention so much that I involuntarily stopped what I was doing and had to listen even more. Frederik, you are a magician with what you can do.. utterly transforming music so every song is a great one. Tom, your name has been mentioned a good deal in my home the last few days. Ok so now comes the part where I get yelled at.. I haven’t had the chance/haven’t wanted to stop listening long enough, to use the Multimeter and adjust the trim. I will do this this evening I hope.. is there much more to get from these beauties by trimming?
I’m basically a skeptic with most things. My youth and my previous work history has shown the worst in people and what they can/can’t do. When I read all the praise from sooo many members a small pet of me thought you had all drank the Kool Aid. Just couldn’t see how something like an amp could produce and draw such emotion. A wonderful product and yet so much more! Next report will be post trimming.
Jon
bonzo
Re: Head to head.. who wins?
Postby bonzo » 2018-01-05 08:33

Anthony,
While I appreciate you taking the time to reply and recognize what forum this is.. that simply was not my question. I’ve considered greatly tundra minis however the nearest dealer is 2/3 of the country away.

320As with 345vs KCT and 242
Any experience with A345 sub?
Do the 320s have gain adjustments like aktiv amps externally have?
lp12, Keel, Klimax Radikal, Urika, Ekos2, Kandid KK1/D, KCT, 242s mk2, Rel B1, Mus Fid btooth rec

Hmmmm.......
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

... but all credit to Bonzo for drinking the Kool Aid in the end :-)
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Great write up - reminds me of the day my Tundra Mono 2s arrived.

Lejonklou amps and 242s - musical match made in heaven.

Enjoy rediscovering your music collection and realizing just how good the musicians and recordings are.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Glad you're enjoying them so much Bonzo!

I might be joining you soon (kind of) with Mk1 242s for my existing Tundra Stereo.
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

Charlie1 wrote:Glad you're enjoying them so much Bonzo!

I might be joining you soon (kind of) with Mk1 242s for my existing Tundra Stereo.
I'd hold out for Mk 2s if I was you.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Who needs a New Year’s resolution when u can wake up before 6am and begin listening to music with tundra monos! I started with Pink Floyd Animals listening at 45 on the KK. Now that everyone is awake it’s at 62. I’m pretty certain I’m the only one enjoying Tool’s Vicarious right now! My wife and I stayed up listening to records until midnight.. I just can’t get enough!!
So great!
Linn Pekin
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Wonderful bonzo, thank you for reporting!

Have you trimmed the idling currents yet?
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

No I have not, forgive me for asking but may be a very simple question, I trim them while the amps are on but no music playing correct? Is there anything I should be cautious of
Linn Pekin
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Nothing to be cautious of. Just plug the two bananas of the supplied thin twisted cable into the multimeter and then plug the connector into the rear port of a Tundra Mono. Then switch the multimeter on by turning its big selector one step clockwise and read the value.

If the music is still playing, the value will jump around slightly. Therefore you should pause it while turning the trimmer until you get the optimal value (which is written on the back of the multimeter).

There's a manual that explains this, hopefully you got that with the amp.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Idling currents have been trimmed, along with proper cable management/power cords away from signal cables.. just listened to Fleetwood Mac rumors double album 45rpm. Always a favorite. Now it’s truly as if there are all new songs on this album. My wife is totally convinced. Just amazing!
Linn Pekin