Moderator: Staff

bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Head to head.. who wins?

Post by bonzo »

Happy new year all!
I’ll be quick.
I currently have KCT non dyn. And 242 mk2s (Old stands).
I have a chance to trade for Artikulate 320A’s with stands and matching 345 bass reinforcement. These are in high gloss rosenut finish.

Which would you rather have. Which is better?
Last time I was active I had 212s with original A4200s and a Rel storm 3. This was behind an original KK with no upgrades, lp12 without Klimax radical, urika, landed, Keel.
What would you do? Also worth mentioning I currently have a Rel B1 Britannia which I love, and would keep this if this trade happens. Lastly what are your thought on $$$? Is this an even swap in terms of $$? CAnt wait to read your replies and experiences. Thanks everyone !
Jon
lp12, Keel, K Radikal, Urika, EkosSe/1 Kandid KK1/D, JBL 708p
Linn Pekin
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Head to head.. who wins?

Post by anthony »

bonzo wrote:Happy new year all!
I’ll be quick.
I currently have KCT non dyn. And 242 mk2s (Old stands).
I have a chance to trade for Artikulate 320A’s with stands and matching 345 bass reinforcement. These are in high gloss rosenut finish.

Which would you rather have. Which is better?
Last time I was active I had 212s with original A4200s and a Rel storm 3. This was behind an original KK with no upgrades, lp12 without Klimax radical, urika, landed, Keel.
What would you do? Also worth mentioning I currently have a Rel B1 Britannia which I love, and would keep this if this trade happens. Lastly what are your thought on $$$? Is this an even swap in terms of $$? CAnt wait to read your replies and experiences. Thanks everyone !
Jon
I would get a tundra stereo for the 242. Artikulate not brilliant until Klimax so factor in the upgrade.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Anthony,
While I appreciate you taking the time to reply and recognize what forum this is.. that simply was not my question. I’ve considered greatly tundra minis however the nearest dealer is 2/3 of the country away.

320As with 345vs KCT and 242
Any experience with A345 sub?
Do the 320s have gain adjustments like aktiv amps externally have?
Linn Pekin
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

bonzo wrote:Anthony,
While I appreciate you taking the time to reply and recognize what forum this is.. that simply was not my question. I’ve considered greatly tundra minis however the nearest dealer is 2/3 of the country away.

320As with 345vs KCT and 242
Any experience with A345 sub?
Do the 320s have gain adjustments like aktiv amps externally have?
Ok then in answer to your question 242 get my vote.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Anthon,
Would you share your experience with A345 sub?
Linn Pekin
anthony
Very active member
Very active member

Post by anthony »

bonzo wrote:Anthon,
Would you share your experience with A345 sub?
I haven't personally ever owned a sub.

I have done several installs including subs and found the melodik and 345 very capable.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Had 4200*2 + active 212mk1 + A345
Very musical.

Never compared with A320a but head them a few times.
It's all about musical understanding!
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

ML,
I recall you having that setup and actually bought your Aktiv cards from you way way back ;). I know you are a fan of “slam” from Keltik and Komri, I’d love your thoughts, feedback on Artikulate 345.
Lastly how do you think it compares with my Rel B1 Britannia?
Jon
Linn Pekin
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

Hi,

Right now I suspect you will find your 242 setup having a better tunefulness. It is also not without challenge to integrate the SUB with the speakers unless you are enable to place it directly adjacent one of your speakers and away from a corner.

Given the input I believe the K320a+345 has the potential to slightly better your current setup, but without further investments it might be more of a sideways upgrade. If you need more BASS extension, the K345A can reinforce both 242 and 320a. If you get a really good price, try them out and pass them along if you don't like them or put them in your mountain cottage?

Secondly, what is your preamp? How do you intend to connect the K320a speakers and Sub?

In my setup I have KDSM/2 connected balanced to the K320a speaker while at the same time RCA outputs (stereo) connects to the sub. (This leads me to use -12dB gain on the sub to match the output with the K320A.)

Yes the K320a has gain adjustments. You can check the owners manual online.

Note however I had the K345 and K320a upgraded with Klimax/Dynamik. I upgraded the stands of the K320a as the supplied ones are "wobbly". The stand upgrade made a great difference. In the process I lowered the speakers from K350a height to 242 height.

The K320a is a beautiful speaker held back mainly by the then suggested integration as surround speakers to 350a putting them on high and wobbly stands.
bonzo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by bonzo »

Frederik,

That you much for your reply and I’m glad to speak with a 320a owner.
My pre is full spec KK. My main source is Lp12 Klimax Radikal, Urika,keel, kandid,ekos2. I will in fact have nothing between where the 320s are placed so should have no problem with placing sub there. I’ve integrated a 221 with 212s, Rel Storm with 212s and now Rel B1 with 242s. Yes it take a bit but I’m comfortable I will be fine here. The thought of being aktiv again is what really gets my interest. I will cdefinity upgrade to Klimax, then dynamik (even get black arrays during Klimax) and I’ll make the stands a powdercoat flat black. High gloss rose nut with black arrays and stands will be Very Sharp. Linn silver balanced will connect from KK to 320a. Unbalanced out from KK to 345.. pulling both channels with a Y splitter at KK end and then Run the stock Linn Black to 345. I can even play around and run my Rel also.
Linn Pekin