Tundra v2.2 Amazing

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

The FlatEarther

Tundra v2.2 Amazing

Post by The FlatEarther »

Had a great time yesterday afternoon with Shellspeed over at Whizz's in Snape.

Jimbo, had arranged to dem a Lejonklou Tundra twin power amp. Now I've heard a great deal about these Amps from Whizz, TomOk and of course Fred Lejonklou. So I very excited about this dem.

We met up at Whizz's place and after a meet and greet settled down to listen to a Katalyst KDS into the Tundra driving Akubariks. Now I have to admit that I was a little unsure of the Akubariks as they had never overly impressed me before. But I needn't have worried from the first track the system sounded so in tune, so sweet and beguiling. I was instantly sucked in to how beautifully the Tundra made each and every instrument and voice sound so real and individual yet playing the whole thing so musically.

We then compared what we were hearing to James' Akurate Twin which is what he uses at home on his Briks and which sounds great in his living room.

The whole sound just collapsed becoming Two dimensional swallowing up the individuality of the performers making it more difficult to follow the individual tunes they were all playing.

We played a fresh track on the Akurate to keep things fair. The track we chose was you want it darker by Leonard Cohen. I love this track it's full of choral voices various instruments and of course the man himself.

The Akurate did a fine job of this track but when we then switched to the Tundra it was a different league all together and I don't mean just better like a Klimax Twin would be, I mean a completely different league!! The whole sound opened up reavealing each and every performer and the tune they were playing. The whole sound became three dimensional and the tonal timbre sweetened and sounded just so natural. Once again I was just sucked into the performance in such an emotional and enjoyable way able not only to clearly pick out the beautiful harmonies of the Choral vocalists, the instruments and epesically the organ melody but sing along to them so easily. And don't get me going on Lenny's voice which was just so tuneful and full of emotion.

I have never heard Akubariks sound like this.

If you've never heard a Lejonklou amp you're missing out. It is tuneful beyond anything I've heard, beguiling, tonally sweet and yet slams out dynamically just perfectly.

I've having serious doubts now about my Naim 250 and that hasn't happened with any other amp I've heard in 37 years till now!

Whizz or as he should be called Antony, made us very comfortable and welcome and made the dem eaxactly what we asked for and was so helpful. The system I heard yesterday was one I could very easily live with and changed my whole mind about Akubariks. What a marvellous combination.

The Tundra reatails at £2700 which is an absolute give away. Having done the Akurate to Klimax Twin bake off at our last social at James' I can tell you that the Tundra is a different league altogether. I cannot wait for Whizz to stop by my house with it in the near future and listen to it on my Briks. Wow that has got me excited!

So in conlusion the Lejonklou Tundra is the most musically enjoyable amplifier I have ever heard and Antony has my complete recommendation and endorsement. Oh and he's also a jolly nice chap too.

Thanks to James for inviting me along for a very enjoyable afternoon.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Tundra v2.2 Amazing

Post by Charlie1 »

Ditto from Linn forum :)

I wonder how the Tundra would sound with an old Naim 52 pre and old Linn Isobariks. I suspect Tom has heard Briks through a Tundra.

Do you think you might go for a home dem at some point? It is nearly Xmas ;)