Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Ripping contest!

Post by Music Lover »

While at it...

Fancy a competition :D

Who makes the most musical rip :?:
If we get enough people interested, we select tune/album and start.

Fredrik, is the forum server big enough to store some (lets say 15s)FLAC files in this thread?
If not we need a ftp-server.
It's all about musical understanding!
paolo

Re: Ripping contest!

Post by paolo »

Music Lover wrote:While at it...

Fancy a competition :D

Who makes the most musical rip :?:
If we get enough people interested, we select tune/album and start.

Fredrik, is the forum server big enough to store some (lets say 15s)FLAC files in this thread?
If not we need a ftp-server.

Good idea MS!

Musicality of rip involves the influence at least of ripping sw (with its configuration) AND cd driver, so this test could in the end produce a short list of the best of them, right? Very useful and interesting!

Paolo
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

That's a briliiant idea!

Of course I'll host them.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Is it possible to send a FLAC song as attatchment in a pm? What's the limit on this? (For sorting out the candidates...) Should we just post the songs as attatchment in this thread?

So what songs should we chose? A Linnrecords song so that Linn can be part of the competition?
jewa

Post by jewa »

Actually, we would need to choose a cd to send around and compare rips.
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Chose a CD that everyone is likely to have? Or could even buy if we're keen!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The one problem that I see is that everyone needs to have the same VERSION of the same CD. I have seen at least 5 different versions of Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" and I'm sure they are all different sounding. Having directly compared three of them I can attest that they do sound different just as different record pressings do. I believe this is why jewa posted that we would need to choose a CD and send it around - so that everyone would be using the same CD.

If we don't have this kind of limitation on the CD used as the source some enterprising person might burn a CD from the LP off a maxed out LP12 and rip it. Then they would blow everyone away. :)
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

No issue, I guess most of us have a few Linn Records albums :wink:
It's all about musical understanding!
teatime

Post by teatime »

Fun idea! I promise to listen, but I don't have a single Linn record on CD so I won't be able to do any ripping..

Also, participants should note on what DS and software version they have listened. The rips should only be numbered, the participants shouldn't know what equipments and software were involved in creating the rips until after "voting".
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

Count me in. I think it would be interesting to submit transcoded file, for example a RIP-station-RIP transcoded to equal compression rate as an EAC-RIP. I have tried Media Coder with good results but so far not reaching the same improvements as can be found when comparing different ripping software though...
Music at Home

Post by Music at Home »

Rather than a contest, how about simply uploading some example rips that demonstrate the difference between a 'good' optical drive and a drive that the contributor considers to be less good. Or rips that demonstrate the difference made by EAC settings or different software rippers.

I think it would be great to be able to listen to these examples and contribute to the discussion regarding the kind of differences that are being observed.

m@h