Three questions for everybody to answer!

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ChrBea

Re: Three questions for everybody to answer!

Post by ChrBea »

Well, at least I am sure that I will win now :)
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Charlie1 wrote:
ChrBea wrote:David Hasselhoff - Looking for Freedom and Modern Talking - Ready for Romance
Damn, I was so close to winning :(
Don´t hassel the Hoff!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

OK, I'm afraid I may have you all beat (although maybe not considering the David Hasselhoff). My convenient lapse of memory above was jolted into remembrance when I looked in the hidden section of the record rack that is also not in the listening room. It highlighted a record called Golden Throats - a really bad compilation. I don't know if you can really say you've heard musical horror until you've heard William Shatner recite (it can't be called singing) Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds or Mr. Tambourine Man unless you include It Ain't Me, Babe by Sebastian Cabot on the same album. As this was a gift from my sister (since we are both Trekkies she figured I needed an album that featured both William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy), I could consider it as not counting. But I still own it.

However, I also own the album Portsmouth Sinfonia! It was made by a group including professional musicians, headed by Brian Eno, playing renditions of standard classical pieces. Unfortunately the performers are all playing instruments they don't know how to play! They may be sincere in their efforts but the outcome is anything but pleasant. And I did buy this one.

Listen at your own risk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AB3uVARNhmM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nDZZEfrRbdw
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

1. I’m not sure if this really qualifies, but my first turntable was a BSR in a red Dansette Viva. I read in my uncles HiFi News and Record Review that auto-changers rattled about and were bad for sound quality so I got my hacksaw out and cut off the auto-changer arm! My first proper HiFi turntable was a Thorens TD160 BCII + Hadcock arm & Ortofon M20FL Super.

2. This has to be my wife’s (honestly!) David Cassidy albums. She loved all that cheesy boy pop in the 70’s. However, my HFNRR Test Record is the one I keep hidden at the back - it’s just the height of geeky sadness!

3. I’ve tended not to spend huge amounts on records, but I did buy one of those audiophile 180g pressings of Blues Breakers (Mayall/Clapton). I think I played it once and it was this purchase which convinced me that recording and mastering quality is way more important than anything else, such as whether it’s digital or analog, vinyl or cd, audiophile or otherwise.
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

1. Linn Axis, bought it same day I got my first salary :)
Had a B&O before that I got after my grandfather. The B&O never got the same after a fire.

2. Sabrina - All of me - Boy oh boy 12"
Maybe as bad as "The Hoff"?

3. Roger Waters - Amused To Death.
Guess my wife loves me since she gave me a first pressing <3. Got the new release this year so I listen to it more often ;)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Just have to say that this tread has made me laugh and cry listening to all those bad samples of "musik" presented.

If it is up to me we have on 1. place (worst) The Hoff (Shatner is worse but does not count), 2. place Portsmouth Sinfonia and 3. place goes to Sabrina.

I still wait for what Lejonklou has hidden in his collection............

And we need a lot more answers from all you out there! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

1. Sonab 85S took it from my father who never used it, still have it. Nice stereo with Pioneer SX434 and Sonab OD11 speaker.
2. Eh this is embarrasing "Ronny och Ragge" sound track (A comical really bad swedish TV serie about two greasers driving around in a Ford on the Swedish country side)
3. Same as Maffe - Roger Waters Amused to death
maffe
Very active member
Very active member

Post by maffe »

Freddy wrote: 2. Eh this is embarrasing "Ronny och Ragge" sound track (A comical really bad swedish TV serie about two greasers driving around in a Ford on the Swedish country side)
THANK YOU!
You gave me a well needed laugh after a hard day at work :D
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

maffe wrote:
Freddy wrote: 2. Eh this is embarrasing "Ronny och Ragge" sound track (A comical really bad swedish TV serie about two greasers driving around in a Ford on the Swedish country side)
THANK YOU!
Is this the one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTJn98XuvsU
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

beck wrote:Just have to say that this tread has made me laugh and cry listening to all those bad samples of "musik" presented.

If it is up to me we have on 1. place (worst) The Hoff (Shatner is worse but does not count), 2. place Portsmouth Sinfonia and 3. place goes to Sabrina.

OK, so if it weren't for a technicality (which was not identified) I have 1st and 3rd place. Not bad! (OK, yes bad!) I knew Hoff would be stiff competition.

I agree, Fredrik commented that the thread was a great idea but hasn't yet crafted his reply. Come on Fredrik, what skeletons are in your closet? After all, I bared all!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

First turntable (family/shared): Grundig, Dual, or ITT (?) stereo console (family) / Sanyo music center thing (shared with my brother)
First turntable (purchased): Systemdek IIX/900 w/ Rega RB250 arm & Goldring 1040

Most embarrassing LP: can't hassel the Hoff for top spot. Michael Bolton is probably my worst...

Most expensive LP: Pearl Jam 10 box set (super drunken edition, or something like that ;)
Last edited by tokenbrit on 2017-10-26 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

ThomasOK wrote:
beck wrote:Just have to say that this tread has made me laugh and cry listening to all those bad samples of "musik" presented.

OK, so if it weren't for a technicality (which was not identified) I have 1st and 3rd place. Not bad! (OK, yes bad!) I knew Hoff would be stiff competition.

I agree, Fredrik commented that the thread was a great idea but hasn't yet crafted his reply. Come on Fredrik, what skeletons are in your closet? After all, I bared all!
Sorry Thomas. I agree that owning a record is enough. So 1. Shatner, 2. Hoff and 3. Portsmouth.

Listen to Shatner if you dare:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rmPOWJtsEGc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hARDXYz2io
Playing cd’s…………
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

Exactly! Hard to beat in this competition? But Shatner was also fun! :)
Sorry Thomas. I agree that owning a record is enough. So 1. Shatner, 2. Hoff and 3. Portsmouth.

Listen to Shatner if you dare:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rmPOWJtsEGc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hARDXYz2io

maffe wrote:
Freddy wrote:
2. Eh this is embarrasing "Ronny och Ragge" sound track (A comical really bad swedish TV serie about two greasers driving around in a Ford on the Swedish country side)
THANK YOU!

Is this the one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTJn98XuvsU
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

"Ronny och Ragge" are bad but they do not pretend to be good and that to me is the difference! I will for the time being stick with 1. Shatner, 2. Hoff and 3. Portsmouth (as professionels they should know better!).

We can let Fredrik have the final word on the ranking! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Sorry, I'm currently too busy to add to this thread. Number 2 requires some serious contemplation.

I also made an expurgation of my record collection around 15 years ago, when all of my most embarrassing records were removed. Today I'm unsure whether that was wise.
matss

Post by matss »

lejonklou wrote:I also made an expurgation of my record collection around 15 years ago, when all of my most embarrassing records were removed. Today I'm unsure whether that was wise.
Me too. But it’s slways possible to buy your guilty pleasures back on Discogs!

/mats
KLP12, KDSM/2, 3xKCT, homebrewn active speakers, Sneaky DS, OD11, Axis, Linto, Classik, Klout, OA12
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I did it too, but not voluntarily. I have my records in A, B and C sections and B and C didn't fit into my apartment, so I stored them in the basement. Unfortunately, there was a break-in all of them were stolen.
However, it somehow turned out to be a stroke of good luck. My insurance company paid me € 10.000,- for the 400 stolen records. That way I could afford a Radikal and a new ADSM :-)
Just to explain: in the A section all songs are good, in the B some songs are good, some less so and records from the C section you only play at parties, when you've had a few and want to laugh even more...
Linntek

Post by Linntek »

1. ITT MRP20. 14 years old (my age - not the TT)

2. Tough one as I have a lot. But the one that comes to me first is:
Video Kids - The Invasion Of The Spacepeckers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwV9N6lWm1U
I'll do a swap for Shatner/Hoff anytime.

3. Iron City House Rockers - Blood On The Bricks.
Bought SH in the US i believe. The shipping made it the most expensive record - but I had to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGdJziY7MtM

"Never listen to a fool's advice"
PeteA

Post by PeteA »

1. Pioneer PL-512
2. Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell
3. The Clash - The clash

In my defence:

1. Dictated by finances - Still at school
2. No defence - 'embarassed'...
3. Reliving my youth - American/Canadian import, mainly because of 'White Man In Hammersmith Palais'

Pete