Three questions for everybody to answer!

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

As I would like more views on my personal system tread ;-) I have hidden a clip of music from a certain album with a certain artist there. Find the not broken link and give the answer to the following questions:

Who is the artist and what album is it from?

There will be a reward! :-)
Last edited by beck on 2017-10-19 11:47, edited 2 times in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Re: The "tuneful" quiz!

Post by Tendaberry »

Ommadawn (Part Two) by Mike Oldfield from Ommadawn?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Ding, ding, ding! You have won the quiz.

Did you know the music or have you "cheated" with an app?! :-)

A truthful answer to the above question will reveal the reward! ;-)
Playing cd’s…………
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

I only cheat with apps for obscure northern soul ;-)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Well, I am a simple man with a big interest in sound and music.

The reward is three questions from you to me that I have to answer truthfully. It was not my initial reward but as the pointer has turned towards me I think it to be a good solution.
Think carefully before asking them!

As a second reward a pointer towards https://www.facebook.com/MikeOldfieldOfficial

There are four clips with him talking about interesting things regarding the recording proces of Ommadawn and the new Return to Ommadawn.

Congratulation Tendaberry!
Playing cd’s…………
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

1. What was your first turntable?
2. What is the most embarrassing record in your collection?
3. Which is the most expensive record you have ever bought?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Those are fun questions!

Could turn into a thread for everyone perhaps?
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Great questions Tendaberry!

You are right Fredrik. This could be questions for everybody to answer!

I WOULD LIKE TO INVITE EVERYBODY TO ANSWER THE ABOVE QUESTIONS.

I will retur later with my answers. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

#1. Lenco J655. I think I was 12. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS3Qq0vMq8E (not my video)
Didn't have the luxury plinth but was a 'suitcase' model to be taken on the road.
(first single ever was Supertramp - The Logical Song) Played it on and on until I could almost see through it

#2. Fausto Papetti - Greatest Hits - You may look up the sleeve picture yourself :-)
Shameless sax-sex music that probably today wouldn't be allowed anymore to be marketed this way.
Although this was in my teens, the major attraction wasn't even in the artwork - honestly! -
but in the "jazzy" saxophone instrumentals - little did I know about jazz back then...

#3. Kate Bush, Before The Dawn box set. Just ordered at 40 Euros so not that extreme I guess, but having bought so many records before the Euro era, I still have problems with spending these kind of amounts
Last edited by mrco99 on 2017-10-19 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Fun topic.

1. LP12/Akito/K9. I was only about 19 but living at home and earning reasonable money for my age. I'd started out on cassette, followed by CD (yuk).

2. Mmm. 12" AXEL F 'London Mix' was pretty bad looking back. Horrid yellow cover as I recall. Oh, and I bought that Barry Manilow album with 'Mandy' on it. Pls don't tell anyone. Of course, it was really for the Mrs (?).

3. About £50 for orig pressing of The White Album. Paid similar for Elbow's 2nd LP (prior to any reissues coming out) and also a 12" demo of Fools Gold. The later was a waste of money since I've only played it a couple of times. Guess I was the fool.
Last edited by Charlie1 on 2017-10-19 12:50, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

mrco99 wrote:(first single ever was Supertramp - The Logical Song) Played it on and on until I could almost see through it
Great song, and recording. I was looking yesterday if they might re-form but doesn't look like it. One of the lead singers is quite ill.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

Charlie1 wrote:
mrco99 wrote:(first single ever was Supertramp - The Logical Song) Played it on and on until I could almost see through it
Great song, and recording. I was looking yesterday if they might re-form but doesn't look like it. One of the lead singers is quite ill.
Yes, the one being ill is Rick Davies. But the other major founder, Roger Hodgson is still touring with his own band and seems to be in pretty good condition with a good voice too. He plays lots of Supertramp hits so if you want to hear these songs live once more, check his tour dates. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfjIw3mivc

Sorry for this drift off-topic... now let's go back to the quiz!
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Three questions for everybody to answer!

Post by beck »

1. My first turntable was a Sony much like this one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zR6RVLuU82E. Bought at the age of 15 and used together a Sony Receiver and a Sony Tape Recorder.

2. My most embarrassing record is Sally Oldfield (sorry Sally) with "femme". So cheesy and only bought because of her brother. Maybe I was considering a change of gender at the time? :-)

Have a listen: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6AoHZ5IiNE4

3. I do not buy expensive vinyl but on its way to me is Vanessa Fernandez with Use Me from America costing me in total $42.89. You maybe know it from the Audio Note clip I posted in another tread.

Wow. I survived your questions Tendaberry. :-)
Last edited by beck on 2017-10-19 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

OK, I'll bite, here it goes:
1. What was your first turntable?
It was a 1970's portable Philips 603, the sound was pretty abysmal and lacking in bass. But, nevertheless, I enjoyed it enormously, I was about 8 years old...
Philips1.jpg
Philips2.jpg
2. What is the most embarrassing record in your collection?
It has to be "The New German Beer-Drinking Songs". I bought it on a whim for about € 0,10, mainly because it was an American pressing ;-) Needless to say, I've never listened through the record in one go...
Beer.jpg
3. Which is the most expensive record you have ever bought?
This is more difficult, but I think it was Diana Krall's "All For You" 2x45 RPM, the Original Recordings Group issue. Not a very cool record, but this issue takes it out of the coffee house and into the jazz club. I paid around € 80,- I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
matss

Post by matss »

Great questions!
1. First record player - Philips AF-977 together with some other Philips stuff and a disco speaker kit from HifiKit. Bought for the cool red LED speed adjustments.

2. Not really embarrassed of any records in my collection, but Direct Disco from Crystal Clear Recording shure qualifies as one with the worst musical qualities. But worth a good laugh for the cheesy cover, strange audiophile aspiration and terrible execution.

3. Maybe Mobile Fidelity One Step version of Bill Evans Sunday at the Village Vanguard at about €150. One of my favourite records! I have a mint copy of the original and the Classic 45 rpm repress, but this version blows me away.

/mats
KLP12, KDSM/2, 3xKCT, homebrewn active speakers, Sneaky DS, OD11, Axis, Linto, Classik, Klout, OA12
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Great set of questions.

1) My first turntable was an AR XA which was a pretty nice piece. Of course, I have been saved by a technicality as it was not my first record player. That was a "portable" suitcase mono model with that kind of bumpy paper wrap similar to what was on guitar amps, I have no idea of the brand or model. I actually wish I still had it as I painted a pretty close replica of one of the eyes from the inside of the Cream: Wheels of Fire album in dayglo paint on the top of it!

2) I might have to look and get back to you as I'm not remembering anything really awful (possibly a mental block). I did buy some records that I was later embarrassed by like several of The Monkees or the Crazy World of Arthur Brown but as those later became cool and somewhat collectable they don't quite fit the bill.

3) For a single record that would be $99 including shipping for a UK first pressing of In the Court of the Crimson King by King Crimson. It took me a couple of years of eBay searching to find a good copy that wasn't $300 or $400 as I'm just not into paying those sums for a record, but the one I got is in very good shape sonically and is musically much superior to any other pressing. Since it is still my all time favorite record, I felt it was worth the money - especially once I heard the difference between a first pressing and a second pressing that a friend owned. Its jacket was somewhat beat up, hence the lower price, but since I have four other jackets (one from the same pressing that had major sonic flaws) I didn't care. Most expensive record purchase was The Beatles remastered Mono box set for a few hundred dollars.

Marco, I had to look up the album cover and I'm not sure which greatest hits it was but it hardly matters. It appears when Fausto Papetti got an album cover idea he liked he stuck with it. Did Playboy even have that many nudes?

Charlie1, I'm afraid you might take the cake with Barely Manilow. One of my sisters played him incessantly and drove us all crazy. I fought back by playing 21st Century Schizoid Man continually driving my siblings mad from a whole different direction (my youngest sibling still hates the song-but we all still hate Barry Manilow).
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

This has turned out to be a well of knowledge!

As I am still male I now know that if I ever should feel bluesy I just have to look up Fausto Papetti album covers and at the same time listen to German Beer-Drinking Songs.
It will make things so much brighter! :-)

Thank you Tendaberry and Marco!
Playing cd’s…………
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

1. Thorens TD160B Mk2 with Ariston rubber mat, manual speed change, no base board, foam removed from springs. It had a Mayware Formula IV Mk3 unipivot (the World's most unreliable tonearm with adjustment needed every 4th record or so) and a NAD9200 MM cart. (Feeding the inevitable NAD 3020 and the original Mission 700s.
2. Hmm, this is an interesting one. I would normally be embarassed to.say that I own a vinyl recording called 'Memories of Steam'. It has sleeve notes such as 'you can clearly hear the leak on the exhaust valve as she crosses the ponts'. However, not actually too embarassed by it because its something my Grandfather used to play to me when I was a kid and I managed to make sure I got hold of it when he passed away. So it has enormous sentimental value.
3. I bought a double vinyl album (it was 45rpm if I recall correctly) of Zero 7's debut album. It was at the time when vinyl production was at its lowest and places like HMV no longer stocked vinyl. It was about 25 or 30gbp. Although I also bought a MFSL cut of Dark Side of the Moon as a birthday present for my brother. Given that is cost 25gbp in 1982, I guess that was more expensive in real terms.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

ThomasOK wrote: Marco, I had to look up the album cover and I'm not sure which greatest hits it was but it hardly matters. It appears when Fausto Papetti got an album cover idea he liked he stuck with it. Did Playboy even have that many nudes?
Indeed Thomas I think Fausto Papetti made more records than Hugh Hefner had women. He is really the James Last of saxophone music - if that name rings a bell..... that's pretty tacky too! ...Nuff said
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote:Charlie1, I'm afraid you might take the cake with Barely Manilow. One of my sisters played him incessantly and drove us all crazy. I fought back by playing 21st Century Schizoid Man continually driving my siblings mad from a whole different direction (my youngest sibling still hates the song-but we all still hate Barry Manilow).
Thank you. Fingers crossed I can win this one.

Yeah, Schizoid Man would certainly do that!

Anyway, back to listening - Copacabana on a Friday morning - love it!
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

3. revisited: My most expensive record has arrived. Vanessa Fernandez with the album "Use Me". It is a double lp 45 rmp 180g and it sounds great. It is mastered direct from the original 30 ips 1/4 inch analog master by Bernie Grundman.

All I can say is buy it! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
matss

Post by matss »

Yes, that is a good record! Excellent song selection.
KLP12, KDSM/2, 3xKCT, homebrewn active speakers, Sneaky DS, OD11, Axis, Linto, Classik, Klout, OA12
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

A little on the side here is a fantastic look into Bernie Grundmans cave! Look at the Studer at the 5.00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YVyill01NU

We need recordings on 2 inch tapes. Shame that only 1/4 inch tapes are available today (as far as I know). Listen to what Bernie is saying at 7.26 and forward.
Playing cd’s…………
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

1. Telefunken Studio Center 5030

2. David Hasselhoff - Looking for Freedom and Modern Talking - Ready for Romance
(to my excuse, I was only 12, respectively 10 years old when I got those albums)

3. Gary Moore - BAD FOR YOU BABY Limited Numbered Transparent Blue 180gram 2LP Set
(to be fair, postage from UK nearly doubled the price, forgot about that when pre-ordering the album :) )
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ChrBea wrote:David Hasselhoff - Looking for Freedom and Modern Talking - Ready for Romance
Damn, I was so close to winning :(