Am I the only one using this trick?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Am I the only one using this trick?

Post by beck »

When a record has a good centered side and a bad (tonearm goes from side to side) I just enlarge the center hole and marks the egde the center spindle shall be pushed up against to act normally.
Using the perfect side I just put a piece of paper over the top of the spindle and push the record down. Then it is centered in the (now a little too big) record hole.
Is this a common trick or?
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Am I the only one using this trick?

Post by Charlie1 »

Can't say I've ever thought much about it.

The last Taylor Swift LP is noticeably distorted on one of the 4 sides. Can't say I recall the arm going back and forth but might check for that next time. btw, I bought it for the kids, not me ;)
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:Can't say I've ever thought much about it.

The last Taylor Swift LP is noticeably distorted on one of the 4 sides. Can't say I recall the arm going back and forth but might check for that next time. btw, I bought it for the kids, not me ;)
Are your kids "allowed" playing records!?
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

No way! :)

They've never actually asked though.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:No way! :)

They've never actually asked though.
So Taylor Swift was for your own plessure after all! ;-)

Kidding aside we do have to train our kids how to use a turntable if they are going to learn to play records after we are gone.
A used Basik or Axis turntable would do the trick together with a stack of old records.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I'll be surprised if my girls want my vinyl. I know this is a generalisation but I think women are less into kit. They are more interested in getting music played than how it's played - the easier the better. And tbh, I don't blame them, especially as even streamed music is enjoyable these days. Now I've moved above the garage and can't listen to records whilst working, I still enjoy music via iPhone, headphones and Google Play. Gone are the days when I found digital music un-listenable, which was how I got into HiFi in the first place.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:I'll be surprised if my girls want my vinyl. I know this is a generalisation but I think women are less into kit. They are more interested in getting music played than how it's played - the easier the better. And tbh, I don't blame them, especially as even streamed music is enjoyable these days. Now I've moved above the garage and can't listen to records whilst working, I still enjoy music via iPhone, headphones and Google Play. Gone are the days when I found digital music un-listenable, which was how I got into HiFi in the first place.
You could be surprised. My eldest boy mentioned Samuel Barbers Adagio for me even though he is not interested in music as such. He had listened to it via a computer game.
I embrace digital on my ipad and would not say no to a sound system like this one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IV4zzpNZ3x4

Remember to change quality to 720p HD when watching! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Gutted I couldn't go with friends last year. They really enjoyed it despite not being into ELO that much.

Recently saw U2 at Twickenham play the Joshua Tree album. They use the world's largest screen. It worked really well with the album and new film content by Anton Corbijn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUpwgSrWdz4
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

When I owned a LP12, I replaced a bad record. Never played a dirty record either.
Same with digital, only well ripped music without bit compression is played.
Charlie1 wrote:I still enjoy music via iPhone, headphones and Google Play.
Even if I enjoy music in my car (actually I pick car based on the sound system and how fun the car is to drive...) I very seldom listen there.
Never using my iPhone for music.
It's sooo very much better at home.
It's all about musical understanding!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Music Lover wrote: Never using my iPhone for music.
Agree, a proper system is much better and enables me to listen much longer too.

But good enough is OK too. Things can always be better. Why deprive yourself 20 mins enjoyment just cos you know it could be better? It probably helps that I enjoy headphone listening when most folks on here don't.

The key is the 'good enough' bit. We probably differ there, although the CD player in one of our cars is a Blaupunkt and incredibly boring and, like you, I prefer not to bother or put the radio on.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

Charlie1 wrote:
Agree, a proper system is much better. It's a very different experience and enables me to listen much longer too.

But good enough is OK too. Things can always be better. Why deprive yourself 20 mins enjoyment just cos you know it could be better? It probably helps that I enjoy headphone listening when most folks on here don't.

The key is the 'good enough' bit. We probably differ there, although the CD player in one of our cars is a Blaupunkt and incredibly boring and, like you, I prefer not to bother or put the radio on.
When listening to my main system it plays music for me. When listening to any other device I can fill in the gaps in my head so it feels like it is playing music for me (if the sound is not too annoying)!
Playing cd’s…………
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Charlie1 wrote:
Agree, a proper system is much better and enables me to listen much longer too.

I do use the radio but listen to interesting stuff, ex discussions about physics, math, psychology and interviews - just not music.
It's all about musical understanding!