ADSM to Kikkin

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Re: ADSM to Kikkin

Post by matthias »

Matteo wrote: 2022-08-04 18:59 With the extinct direct function you could use the ADC with analogue inputs;
Now the ADC was removed and you couldn’t
You mean?
With the extinct direct function you could use the "Analogue Volume Control" with analogue inputs.
Now the "Analogue Volume Control" was removed and you couldn’t.

ADC: Analogue Digital Conversion
DAC: Digital Analog Conversion
DVC: Digital Volume Control
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Matteo
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Matteo »

Sorry Matt

I meant AVC (analogue volume control)

My fault

M.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

So do all Linn sources now digitise all their inputs?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

Charlie1 wrote: 2022-08-05 09:21 So do all Linn sources now digitise all their inputs?
The Akurate, Selekt and Klimax System Hubs definitely do, as do the Majik and Akurate Exaktbox-I's. The Akurate and Selekt DSM's with Katalyst and Klimax DSM with Katalyst or Organik also do, as does the Klimax DSM/1. The Majik DSM/4 also digitises analog sources (24/192), the older versions don't (unless you engage Space Optimisation). The Sneaky and Sekrit DSM's don't (unless you engage Space Optimisation).
Last edited by Tendaberry on 2022-08-05 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks tendaberry.

I find the naming conventions for Linn steamers utterly bewildering now. It was fine to begin with but once Exakt came along it started down a path of very confusing product names, for me anyway. A waning interest level probably didn't help.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

The simpler way of putting it is that all current models digitize all inputs all the time (as the Sneaky and Sekrit are no longer on the price list). Hence why I purchased a MDSM/3 for the second bedroom AV system just before it was discontinued. Tendaberry's reply is more thorough if you are wondering about older models. Deletion of analog pass through and analog volume controls generally came with the Katalyst upgrade and with the models to come out since then (Selekt and the square MDSM/4).
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Tx Tom
Per A

Post by Per A »

This was very interesting to me because I am in the midst of an experiment. I have a ADSM of 2014 and its RCA inputs, line level and phono, can be set either to digitise or not. Last year I replaced my power amp and passive speakers for the active Kii3 with DSP that takes digital in and also analog in using XLR. Only this weekend I figured out I could take the analog signal from the Linto phono amp and pass it analog through the ADSM and xlrs into the Kiis and I am glad I did because even though the cheapo xlr cables it sounded fantastic. The Kii’s AD conversion outperform that of the Linn is my conclusion. Until now I have played LPs through the ADC of the Linn and then digitally via SPDIF to the Kiis. I am getting some good cables now and hope for more joy. I hope the later Linns have improved that conversion.
I suppose A to D conversion also is an area of development but I don’t know. But I know that the immense improvement I acheive with the Kiis is not due to keeping the signal analog because the Kiis use digital processing rather Linn’s ADC was crap.