Each to their own.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: A tune that brought Pharrell Williams to tears, apparently

Post by Lego »

Charlie1 wrote:I'm holding it together.

Each to their own.
LOL..I like it..The kids are alright :0)
I know that tune
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Well...THIS is emotional!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diwF1-xJwZM

Just look at President Obama and his company. WOW
Aretha Franklin rules!
It's all about musical understanding!
Donald

Post by Donald »

I note that this brought Pharrell to tears - it's not really that bad is it, but not my cup of tea either!

As for Aretha, well she's still in a different league - thanks to Music Lover for that most excellent link!
LP12/Kore/T2/Akito/Adikt/L4|Akurate DSM|Akurate Exaktbox 10|2 x Akurate 4200/1|Keilidhs
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Music Lover wrote:Well...THIS is emotional!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diwF1-xJwZM

Just look at President Obama and his company. WOW
Aretha Franklin rules!
That was just an emotional night ..Jimmy page and co were also in tears .. Nostalgia perhaps

https://youtu.be/2u-PjvRyr0I
I know that tune
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Donald wrote:I note that this brought Pharrell to tears - it's not really that bad is it, but not my cup of tea either!

As for Aretha, well she's still in a different league - thanks to Music Lover for that most excellent link!
Here's an interesting take on it Don ..Tho it doesn't take much for PW to fill up, he's a master of his craft and very emotional about music, some people tap their feet nod their heads or dance..He cries https://youtu.be/W7i63OLqcj8
I know that tune
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Eh, so so. Doesn't do it for me either. It does make me wonder what she really sounds like without all the effects. I was also liking it better before they decided she had to add in the weird dance moves. Oh, well - to each his own. Not too wild about the Stairway to Heaven rendition either, especially once it gets going. But Aretha! That is a whole different story. It got me a bit teary just listening to it now through the computer. She is still pretty amazing. After watching the videos of the various reunion shows by people like Crosby, Stills and Nash or ELP that just didn't have it anymore it is a pleasure to hear someone who still does. Wonderful clip.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

ThomasOK wrote:Eh, so so. Doesn't do it for me either. It does make me wonder what she really sounds like without all the effects. I was also liking it better before they decided she had to add in the weird dance moves. Oh, well - to each his own. Not too wild about the Stairway to Heaven rendition either, especially once it gets going. But Aretha! That is a whole different story. It got me a bit teary just listening to it now through the computer. She is still pretty amazing. After watching the videos of the various reunion shows by people like Crosby, Stills and Nash or ELP that just didn't have it anymore it is a pleasure to hear someone who still does. Wonderful clip.
Yeah, Aretha made me cry. And when she let the coat fall, goosebumps all over my body. It was a WOW-moment.
Seen it many times, emotional on same level every time.

Stairway to Heaven...not any of my favourite tunes. But I heard a cover of Burn in the gym yesterday. Had to stop the training and started to air-drumming to Ian's energetic beat. THAT is a classic.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I enjoyed Aretha too. She pitched it just right.

Speaking of which, I think this guy still has it, although I suspect this is a bit too low key for some:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TlRLvaXVyk8
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I agree that the moment she dropped the fur coat was goose pimple time. Great perfromance. I've never been a big fan of Starway to Heaven either. Not only was it obviously heavily overplayed but I also can't help but listen to lyrics and those really are pretty ridiculous "To be a rock and not to roll" - seriously? But you might find this version lets you hear that there can be more music in the tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUKDj_x5B6w
So much music from just two guitars, and a whole different feeling to the tune with all the improv around the main melody.

Charlie1, I do quite like a lot of Peter Gabriel's music and some of it can definitely evoke a strong emotional connection.
The LP12 Whisperer
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Yes I have a lot of time for PG and was very to tears listening to 'Dont give up' when I was going through a stressful time, that was on the lk1/280,which was nice.

I did also cry at a Luther Vandross concert which had the best sound I have ever heard at a gig,helped by the fact that his whole band were seasoned musicians and top producers in their own right ,a better sound than Steely Dan managed in the same terrible venue.I think certain musicians know how to project the sound of their instruments to the extent that others can't even come close

Thanks for sharing that Thomas, great improvisation .

My daughter just returned from seeing Shawn Mendez at her first ever concert .I asked her if she enjoyed it,to which she replied; 'Put it this way when the show ended I thought it was the break ' :0)
I know that tune
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Charlie1 wrote:I enjoyed Aretha too. She pitched it just right.

Speaking of which, I think this guy still has it, although I suspect this is a bit too low key for some:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TlRLvaXVyk8
Well, it's not only AC/CD, Deep Purple and Metallica I like :)

Peter G is one of the "great ones"! This tune is VERY emotional. Father Son and Biko as well
I urge you all to buy the BD-live concert "Growing Up Live".
(if my info is correct his bassist, the man in the black long coat, is a Linnie)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Music Lover wrote:(if my info is correct his bassist, the man in the black long coat, is a Linnie)
Tony Levin? He was with King Crimson I think. I don't anyone that likes them enough who might know ;)

I love his playing. I was listening to 'Don't Give Up' after Leo's comment and there is a lovely tuneful bass line at the end of that track - superb.

I will check out that convert DVD.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Music Lover wrote:I urge you all to buy the BD-live concert "Growing Up Live".
Is there something musically better about the Blu-ray Disc? I have the Growing Up Live DVD, which I bought after seeing PG live in Chicago* during his Growing Up tour... Not sure I have watched or listened to the the DVD since the BD player is not connected to the hi-fi.
I just looked out the DVD - playing it as I type this: it sounds good just played through the TV - thanks for the suggestion.

* the venue acoustics, sound balance, and the theatricality of the stage show itself took away from the musicality of the concert that I attended; something that the DVD appears to avoid. That said, I would have liked to go to the Still Growing Up tour that followed as played smaller and more intimate venues, and discarded some of the stage antics. I'd be curious to know whether the Still Growing Up - Live & Unwrapped release is better than Growing Up Live. (DVD or BD)

I should try to figure out how to rip the stereo audio from the DVD so that I can play it through the DS - if anyone can advise how to do that, I'd be grateful for guidance on the necessary software & steps. Thanks.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Charlie1 wrote:
Music Lover wrote:(if my info is correct his bassist, the man in the black long coat, is a Linnie)
Tony Levin? He was with King Crimson I think. I don't anyone that likes them enough who might know ;)

I love his playing. I was listening to 'Don't Give Up' after Leo's comment and there is a lovely tuneful bass line at the end of that track - superb.

I will check out that convert DVD.
Hehe. Yes, Tony Levin has been the bass player with King Crimson since the 1981 incarnation of the band through the present 4 drummer lineup touring the US this year. He has also been part of Peter Gabriels' band on every studio album and every live tour except one. My understanding is that King Crimson and Peter Gabriel and his own band Stick Men are the only bands he considers himself part of. However, he is a very prolific studio musician and has played on over 500 albums such as One Trick Pony by Paul Simon and Momentary Lapse of Reason by Pink Floyd, as well as a huge number of others by artists as diverse as Cher, Dire Straits, Buddy Rich, Luciano Pavarotti, John Lennon, Warren Zevon, Alice Cooper, Sarah McLachlan, etc., etc.

A very talented player of the bass who specializes in the Chapman Stick and also plays synthesizer and does some vocal work. He is also just a really nice guy and yeah, he has a Linn system (we should introduce him to Lejonklou). You might have guessed I am a big fan.
The LP12 Whisperer
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

Tony Levin also played on the albums by Liquid Tension Experiment, a band that, beside Levin, consisted of Mike Portnoy, John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess from Dream Theater.

Worth checking out if you're into progressive metal!
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

I'm sure I have a Laurie Anderson and Robbie Robertson albums with TL on bass
I know that tune