Portable DAC

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ChrBea

Portable DAC

Post by ChrBea »

Good morning,
as the sound of my mobile phone could be more musical, I wanted to add a portable DAC, in order to enjoy music while en route. Did someone compare the current DACs and can give me a recommendation?
I just googled a few to see what is on the market, but have not tested them so far.
Current selections is:
- Audioquest Dragonfly RED
- Oppo - HA-2
- Sony PHA-1EU
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Portable DAC

Post by sunbeamgls »

Chord Mojo. I've only compared it with the Dragonfly, but the Mojo was a long way ahead (for more money of course).
I think the Mojo is the current generation's equivalent to the NAD 3020 in terms of good music on a budget.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

I'd be more inclined to look for a phone with a musically good sound rather than look for a separate dac.Most of the dacs in smartphones are not necessarily worse than the portable ones and some are actually quite musically engaging being better than most and you're taking usb out of the equation..

I've yet to find a DAC up to £250 that sounds better than my internal smartphone DAC.My old note 2 had a Wolfson chip that was very musical .
I get a very non fatiguing sound from a '90s Sony Playstation 1 listening to cd and it uses an akm DAC although all dacs within a company sound different and not sure how much they contribute to enjoyment of music.If i was wanting a phone that was good for music I'd look at this one http://www.androidauthority.com/taking- ... -7-706898/ tho difficult to audition

I Think Linn now use akm for their exakt so maybe not such a good idea in second thoughts lol
I know that tune
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

Lego wrote:

I Think Linn now use akm for their exakt so maybe not such a good idea in second thoughts lol
Linn use an AKM DAC for Katalyst - traditional and Exakt versions.
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.