Stylus Gunk

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Stylus Gunk

Post by Charlie1 »

I keep my Akiva clean using green paper each play, Lyra SPT every 2-3 LPs and silly putty once in a while. I use a carbon brush to help prevent too much dust etc being melted onto the stylus. However, I can see some form of blob has begun to accumulate (including the top of the stylus end) as it's not the normal profile. My close up vision is not what it was and I can't see clearly what it is. The only thing I've done differently in recent months is use SPT more liberally and perhaps not always let it dry before playing.

Will I have to get it professionally cleaned or can anyone recommend a way to get the gunk off, ideally without removing the cartridge?
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Stylus Gunk

Post by Lego »

I would sometimes scrape gunge off with the edge of the green paper . Although not great i clean my cartridge less since i started using a loupe thingy which showed me my cartridge wasn't that dirty
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Illuminate ... nav=SEARCH
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Leo! I will get one of those :)

I emailed John Burns who advised distilled water and cotton buds. It wasn't a solid blob in the end - just a pile of particles sat on top of the cantilever.
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

Those loupe magnifiers are superb for stylus inspection - especially when applying Lyra's SPT fluid. I got mine from Jonny at Audio Origami:
http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/for-sale/ [3rd item down]

I also use the Lyra brush when dry, to loosen off any dust particles. As Lego says, the magnifier is a useful aid to inform you how bad it is, or isn't.
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Moog. The one Leo recommended turned up this weekend. It's is very good. Difficult to keep still though.

Are you able to apply SPT without it touching the cantilever then? Always seemed impossible to me but I will try with the loupe.
moog_man

Post by moog_man »

Charlie1 wrote:Are you able to apply SPT without it touching the cantilever then? Always seemed impossible to me but I will try with the loupe.
I certainly find it a lot easier with the aid of an illuminated magnifier. The brush that Lyra provides with the SPT fluid should be angled, and a minuscule drop on the tip is sufficient. Before I had the loupe, I was probably drenching the brush and dragging it along the cantilever... ooppss. Now I can apply a sensible amount and focus on just the stylus tip. Admittedly, it's a bit fiddly with one hand holding the loupe, the other carefully manipulating the brush into position.
LP12_Radikal/2_Keel_Karousel_Ittok III_Akiva. Ak Tuner. UDP-205. Kontrol/2. Solo_Ak 212. 2250_Ak 225
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

moog_man wrote:I certainly find it a lot easier with the aid of an illuminated magnifier. The brush that Lyra provides with the SPT fluid should be angled, and a minuscule drop on the tip is sufficient. Before I had the loupe, I was probably drenching the brush and dragging it along the cantilever... ooppss. Now I can apply a sensible amount and focus on just the stylus tip. Admittedly, it's a bit fiddly with one hand holding the loupe, the other carefully manipulating the brush into position.
Thanks Moog - I will definitely use the magnifier next time.