MQA

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: MQA

Post by Lego »

lejonklou wrote:Your not a lawyer, are you Lego? That I call something a scam is a reflection of my opinion and can't possibly lead to any "legal complications".
No I'm not a lawyer but i do know that online litigation is a rapidly growing industry :0)
I know that tune
Peter@57m

Post by Peter@57m »

lejonklou wrote: 2017-04-10 18:49
I'm certain it will fail.
https://www.whathifi.com/news/mqa-is-go ... nistration

In administration, hopefully not to come out
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Peter@57m wrote: 2023-04-07 14:59
lejonklou wrote: 2017-04-10 18:49
I'm certain it will fail.
https://www.whathifi.com/news/mqa-is-go ... nistration

In administration, hopefully not to come out
Apparently they've been losing about £4,000,000 per year for the last few years.
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

beck wrote: 2017-03-19 22:00 An interesting read indeed. No wonder I love my record collection so much.
Before and after reading this thread I totally support Beck in his love for his (and any) record collection.
A record is produced and mastered by an music-architect with his/her signature. After you get a record you yourself can tweak your gear it to the best delivering you like. It’s you doing that, not a secret hidden technical system and dito business model your taste, use and money are forced into what is beyond your control. This apart from sound quality itself which as I said, is in the hand of others.
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Arjen wrote: 2023-04-07 17:53 Before and after reading this thread I totally support Beck in his love for his (and any) record collection.
A record is produced and mastered by an music-architect with his/her signature. After you get a record you yourself can tweak your gear it to the best delivering you like. It’s you doing that, not a secret hidden technical system and dito business model your taste, use and money are forced into what is beyond your control. This apart from sound quality itself which as I said, is in the hand of others.
MQA is not a war between analog and digital, it is purely digital done wrong.
But fortunately it seems to be finished now.
Matt

Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

matthias wrote: 2023-04-07 21:16
Arjen wrote: 2023-04-07 17:53 Before and after reading this thread I totally support Beck in his love for his (and any) record collection.
MQA is not a war between analog and digital, it is purely digital done wrong.
But fortunately it seems to be finished now.
Not a war, no. But before the digital signal is entering your room, your devices, there’s for you a lot more decisions made in terms of format and transfer in the chain than when you only get your vinyl from the record shop to play on your turntable. Who can you trust most, commercially driven streaming (with maybe the luck of a good representation of the music) or your own individually controlled simple and honest integrity? Or am I wrong?
Lenco 76/S TJN, Dr. Fuss, Supernait2, CD5X, Slipsik7.1, Millon Phantom, Soundeck, AudioSensibility
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Arjen wrote: 2023-04-09 16:38 .. a lot more [digital] decisions made in terms of format and transfer in the chain than when you only get your vinyl from the record shop to play on your turntable. Who can you trust most, commercially driven streaming (with maybe the luck of a good representation of the music) or your own individually controlled simple and honest integrity? Or am I wrong?
Yes, you're wrong :) Aside from the point that beck has also been optimising & enjoying his CD collection, you're ignoring the decisions made with vinyl: what format (issue), what transfer (cart). Why is trust in streaming any different to trust in the record shop, the LP copy, the engineer(ing) involved in LP pressing? Both digital & analogue depend on source: stream; file, or record... As Matt points out, MQA was digital done wrong. Downstream decisions won't recover that any more than analogue decisions will be able to recover the best music from a warped & scratched LP.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Arjen,
I agree with tokenbrit, just one example.
Take Spotify, use the recommended settings and take something like Källa or even a Macbook with its in-built DAC and you have a high level or satisfying digital playback set-up.
With analog you need a well set-up turntable, tonearm, cartridge and phono preamp.
In both cases there might be uncertainties about the provenance of the recording.
Matt

Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

Surely, Matt and Tokenbrit, the streaming can give you a satisfying play back with the right gear, but again, you are dependent on what manipulating streaming services are doing afterwards, for bad or good. Once you have your vinyl, tape or CD copy it is up to you setting up the gear to get the best out of your fixed starting source. Only thing is it can wear out. But we all wear out at some age. Anyway, those are my humble thoughts, wright or wrong.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Arjen wrote: 2023-04-09 22:37 Surely, Matt and Tokenbrit, the streaming can give you a satisfying play back with the right gear, but again, you are dependent on what manipulating streaming services are doing afterwards, for bad or good. Once you have your vinyl, tape or CD copy it is up to you setting up the gear to get the best out of your fixed starting source. Only thing is it can wear out. But we all wear out at some age. Anyway, in my humble thoughts.
The point is that MQA was manipulating; the others aren't (so much) .. no more than copies to vinyl, tape, or CD where they've audio engineered (manipulated) from whatever copy of master to release - all are dependent on your starting source. This forum; discogs, and others have many examples of one classical performance being best; one vinyl release being better, and others being worse. We have the same choice with streaming service and that's the "starting source". Analog or digital, a good system will get the best out of it. You seem to be generalising from MQA to all digital - that makes no more sense than I got a bad copy of an LP so vinyl is bad.
Arjen
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Arjen »

I mean, after buying a record sound stays the same with same setup. In streaming i think one from the service office always can change sound from one day to another, for better or worse.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Arjen wrote: 2023-04-10 07:25 In streaming i think one from the service office always can change sound from one day to another, for better or worse.
My experiences with Qobuz and Spotify are so far that there are no changes from day to day which can be addressed directly to the streaming services. Quite the contrary they seem to get better in the long term. Spotify for example update their macOS app about twice a month and usually the new version is musically not worse than the older one.
Since of their affiliation with MQA I have no trust in Tidal and would never do subscription with them.
Matt