Thinking long-term: power amps & speakers

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

JW

Thinking long-term: power amps & speakers

Post by JW »

Hi all,

One of the things I like about Linn is that it's easy to keep replacing components with better components. So far after each upgrade has improved the tunefulness of my system :D

After many years of saving I finally realised a dream: owning a CD12 8) And with a CD12 feeding a KK with 2 x 2250 going into aktiv Ninkas, I'm very happy with what I hear :P

This puts me in an interesting position: at the moment I don't feel the urge to perform upgrades. Yet I do realise that the current setup isn't the final setup (if there is such a thing as a final setup...) :mrgreen:

Unfortunately money can only be spent once, so I'd like to spend it wisely :wink: Which for me means that I'm leaning in the direction of doing one or two big upgrades instead of (relatively) minor improvements.

To put this in context (and to give an idea of the budget), I'm considering replacing the 2250s by 2 Solos, and replacing the Ninkas with Avalon Ascendants. This should be doable in about 5 or so years at best, or about 10 years if things don't go as smoothly as I hope :roll:
It's amazing how much funds you can free up by skipping vacations
8)

So, I'd like to hear what people think about this setup?
Also, would it make sense to swap the 2250s for the Solos and go back to passive as an intermediate stage? I know Ninkas much prefer aktiv, but a Solo should be quite a bit better than a 2250...
Or am I better off enjoying the Ninkas in aktiv mode, and replace power amps & speakers at the same time?

And of course, what obvious alternatives am I missing?

Naturally, personal preference plays a role here too. Some of the setups I've heard are
- Avalon Eidolon
- Avalon Opus (CD12 as source)
- Avalon whichever-is-the-predecessor-to-the-Ascendant
- Linn Keltik (fully aktiv with a huge stack of Klouts)
- Linn Artikulat 350 (driven by a pair of Solos)

The setup that fit my taste best was the Opus, with the Artikulat a distant second. This may have something to do with the setup of that particular system: it had plenty of slam and incredible bass detail, and while being very tuneful it wasn't any better than my own system.

Right, over to you!

JW

PS: my current listening room is about 5x7m, and that's not about to change anytime soon.
KDSM Organik, KCT, Sonus Faber Olympica Nova III
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi JW,

The advice here from those that have made the comparisons is that aktiv with lesser amps will usually outperform passive with better amps when using the Tune Method. Do you use the Tune Method by the way and if so, are you using it as the basis of your decision making? Just curious as to what you're looking for....i.e. musicality or a specific sound?

I do know someone that has lived with both 242s aktiv, using Cx200 amps, but now has Solo's and prefers those. Not as impressive sounding, but living with Klimax amps is something special by the sounds of things. Ultimately though - the x200 aktiv setup is probably more tuneful, so it depends what you want. Not sure how your 2250s would fare though.

Have you heard the new Klimax 350s or are you referring to the old Artikulates? The new ones are much better from what I'm told.
JW wrote:it had plenty of slam and incredible bass detail, and while being very tuneful
I've heard that active ATC100 speakers have these attributes. Could be worth a listen.

Ultimately though, if you want more musicality to better understand the music, surely a Klimax DS is first point of call.

Good luck.
JW

Post by JW »

Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.
Charlie1 wrote:Do you use the Tune Method by the way and if so, are you using it as the basis of your decision making? Just curious as to what you're looking for....i.e. musicality or a specific sound?
Both, really. The musicality has priority, but I've heard different setups that were very much comparable when it comes to musicality, but where I had a distinct preference for a specific setup nevertheless. Which is why I prefer the Opus over the Eidolon, for example. (Dons fireproof suit...:))

Apart from musicality (the #1 criterium) I tend to look for imaging. I'm kind of allergic to narrow/shallow soundstages 8)
Which is why I like the sound of several of the Avalon speakers.

Slam or really deep bass isn't all that important to me.
Have you heard the new Klimax 350s or are you referring to the old Artikulates? The new ones are much better from what I'm told.
The old Artikulates.
Ultimately though, if you want more musicality to better understand the music, surely a Klimax DS is first point of call.
Having directly compared the CD12 and a Klimax DS over a day and a half, I'm pretty confident that I would be happier with a serious power-amp + speakers upgrade than with a KDS :shock:

Yes, the KDS is wonderful, and in direct comparison the CD12 just isn't as good. Still, we never tired of hearing the CD12 do its thing 8)

It'd be interesting to compare KDS + KK + 2250s + Ninka and CD12 + KK + Solos + Ascendant...

JW
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

JW wrote:
Having directly compared the CD12 and a Klimax DS over a day and a half, I'm pretty confident that I would be happier with a serious power-amp + speakers upgrade than with a KDS :shock:
Kind of a nice problem :wink:

I would think that you would not be totally satisfied until both source, power-amps and speakers are replaced. That is if you seek to upgrade to more ackurate speakers. Obviously it is possible to chose a speaker with about the same resolution as the Ninkas but with a more nice and impressive sound. My opinion is that really good speakers (Akurate and upwards) require the best source available to really sing. Inferior (considering the opted circumstances and yes the CD12 is no math for a KDS in the right conditions) sources only makes it difficult setting up the system.
JW

Post by JW »

hcl wrote:I would think that you would not be totally satisfied until both source, power-amps and speakers are replaced.
True, and I fully expect to upgrade to a KDS one day. It's just that in the near future I'd expect more from upgrading the back-end.
Inferior (considering the opted circumstances and yes the CD12 is no math for a KDS in the right conditions) sources only makes it difficult setting up the system.
In general I'd agree with that, but if we go back a little over a year there was no KDS, and people didn't complain that they had problems setting up their systems... :P 8) :wink:

JW
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

JW wrote:In general I'd agree with that, but if we go back a little over a year there was no KDS, and people didn't complain that they had problems setting up their systems... :P 8) :wink:
But still, you have to face the fact that even Majik DS (and maybee even Sneaky DS depending on the vintage of the CD12)is a better source than CD12 today. CD12 might have been the top notch (digital) source two years ago, but that reasoning applies just as good to Karik/Numerik.

Your amps and speakers are not bad by any standards; I think you should save the money for KDS instead on improving the least important part of the chain.

Regards 8)