Accidental Damage to hi fi

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

RCA12314

Accidental Damage to hi fi

Post by RCA12314 »

I have a very nice Yamaha CR420 receiver. It was in mint condition, recently serviced, and my pride and joy, along with the rest of my hifi system.

So what happened ?

I was changing my hifi rack around to accommodate a new piece of kit. I placed the receiver back on the bottom shelf, then went to place the next shelf in place. The shelf slipped, and fell on to the receiver, cracking the wooden casing on the top. I was Gutted ! I just looked at it, i couldn't believe it had happened. I have owned that receiver for years, and I have always been very careful when handling it. It didn't have a mark, scratch, or dint anywhere. Sigh, I still can't believe it happened. When I am listening to music, and look over to the receiver I still shake my head in disbelief. I was lucky in one respect, the inside of the receiver went undamaged, so it is still in use.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any accidents with there hifi kit ?
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Accidental Damage to hi fi

Post by Lego »

If i do something clumsy to an item like a scratch or dink etc I just say to myself 'If it bothers you that much, just buy another one' .
When I bought my brand new Kairn and i was putting it on the shelf i accidentally scratched the front of it on the rack ,it annoyed me for about 10 minutes as I convinced myself that even if i did buy another one ,it wouldn't sound as good as this sample ,I just went over to have a look and i cant even see the scratch (eyes 24years older ) ..Get over it RCA :0)
I know that tune
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

I wash my cars a few times each year and clean my house on a weekly basis = resonable level and the overall condition is kept at a "good enough" level. But regarding my hifi-system it must be in perfect condition.
Not talking about dust now, only look and performance.
I'm the only one in the family allowed touching it, my four kids never have.

As you guessed, I would be heartbroken scratching it.

The only issue I can report is an old girlfriend leaving the appartment while playing a record, with me finding the Arkiv being playing on the paper label a good 10 hour afterwards. The needle was bent at a later occation.
My new girlfriend was never allowed operating the LP12...
It's all about musical understanding!
fredrik

Post by fredrik »

Had a screw sticking out from the bottom of a laptop, which I placed on top of my Klimax 345 subw while testing REW. So much for SPACE optimization.

Reminds me of when I got a new car, took it to the driveway (winter) and starting using the showel around it a bit to vigorously and caused a large scratch on the rear driver side of the car. Would hate myself everyday for about a year...:)
jonteman

Post by jonteman »

Had two accidents.
The first in the late 80:s could have been a diaster. I had a Basik, Intek and a rotel radio on three shelves.
I was going to move the shelves by dragging them a bit sideways on the floor and they all fell like a card house.
Luckily nothing at all happened.

The second one was on a party at my place. My friend danced a bit too wild and fell backwards in to one of my Ninkas. The speaker cracked and one of the elements broke.
I was lucky cause the Insurance company payed more than a gave for them and I sold them later for a good price.
RCA12314

Post by RCA12314 »

Hi Lego.

Your right I need to get over it. I was just so gutted. I will get over it, but like most accidents you want to kick yourself for being so clumsy. At least the front panel survived unscratched, and the internals of the receiver are undamaged.

Fredrik, I feel for you. Scratching a new car, I would been just as gutted as you were.

Jonteman, sorry to hear about your Ninkas. What did you buy as a replacement ?
jonteman

Post by jonteman »

I bought Espeks for almost the same money. =)
I sold everything later. Espeks, Basik, Kairn Pro, Ikemi, 3xLK 100 aktive.
After that i bough the 109:s and AVA Maestro 50p. The AVA was ok and i still have it but I don't use it.
Now - Majik LP12, Boazu, Slipsik 6