Small floorstanding speakers?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

jonteman

Small floorstanding speakers?

Post by jonteman »

Hi!
I have a Majik LP12, Boazu, Slipsik 6 and Majik 109 speakers.
A great sounding system but I miss the deep bass.
Any tips regarding another small speaker? Maybe floorstanding?
I dont want a big speaker that has to be placed too far from the wall. Well not a big speaker even if it can be placed next to the wall either ;) ...and not too expensive...
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Small floorstanding speakers?

Post by Music Lover »

Budget?
It's all about musical understanding!
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

What's your rear wall made from?

212s might help a little but I doubt much in the grand scheme of things.

Can't comment on the JBLs that many here are fans of.

Floorstanders like M140s will definitely help, but you might lose in other ways. They need steel bases too.

Some folks don't like a sub with stand mounts, feeling they are missing something in between but not heard this combo myself.
mrco99
Very active member
Very active member

Post by mrco99 »

You may try Totem Arro, they produce a surprisingly amount of bass for their format.
Distributor of Lejonklou | Aqua | Graham Audio | Klangedang | NOKTable | Ophidian | The Wand
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Charlie1 wrote:What's your rear wall made from?

212s might help a little but I doubt much in the grand scheme of things.

Can't comment on the JBLs that many here are fans of.

Floorstanders like M140s will definitely help, but you might lose in other ways. They need steel bases too.

Some folks don't like a sub with stand mounts, feeling they are missing something in between but not heard this combo myself.
Skip 212 and sub.
M140 (a bit less musical than 109 imho) and 242 (great speaker) are better options.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

Keeping with Linn speakers, consider Komponent 110s, and Majik Isobariks (?) too depending on budget, and availability.
jlwdm

Post by jlwdm »

I use a REL S3 sub with 109s and like this combo a lot. The sub is more expensive than the 109s though.

Jeff
jonteman

Post by jonteman »

Hi!
The size I want is like the 109 inc stands. Maybe a little bigger. I like "less is more". Small speakers - big sound. The rear wall is hard plaster. Good for hanging a tv on.
Budget - I like to buy used ones. Round 1500 euros.
My 109:s are white and I like that color.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

jonteman wrote:Hi!
Budget - I like to buy used ones. Round 1500 euros.
My 109:s are white and I like that color.
That appears to be the right sort of budget for used Majik 140s, maybe a little short of used Majik Isobariks. Both were sold in white - you might have to search a little, though, to find them in that colour... or not: http://www.audio-markt.de/_markt/item.php?id=3356127899 ;)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

jonteman wrote:The rear wall is hard plaster. Good for hanging a tv on.
I presume that means plaster over a brick or block ball, not plasterboard over wood stud partition?
Tendaberry
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tendaberry »

How about going old school with a pair of Linn Saras?
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

From my limited experience:

242s just great speakers - perhaps a bit bigger than you would like, and a bit above budget ( black upgraded ones for sale on the forum at £2200) but could be all you will need for many many years.

Komponent 110s mentioned above really musical and great value but probably not what you are looking in terms of bass.

Ninkas - not nearly as good as above in terms of musicality, but great value, probably the right size for you and reaqlly quite enjoyable with good source and amps ( as you have).

Finally - when I asked on the forum some time ago, about upgrading amps and speakers - some wise members suggested upgrading the source ( In my case from KRDS to KDS/1) !

Great advice as the quality of the bass ( if not the quantity) improved so much I forgot about the system and just enjoyed the music. I had Ninkas at the time with AK/1 and Tundra Monos.

Good luck
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Tendaberry wrote:How about going old school with a pair of Linn Saras?
I tested them in my system som years ago, thinking they must be GREAT.
They WAS...then...
109 is a lot more musical.

Owned Sara and Sara 9 in the late 80s.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

I believe Klångadang T1 is your best option. It's very, very difficult to get something as musical as M109 but better bass. I'm afraid you'll be very disapointed when you start audition. Another option might be Naim Ovator S-400. (Of course JBL has a lot of followers on this forum). Don't sell your M109 before you heard the replacements in your room and know you're happy with them.
the players of instruments shall be there..
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Can you stretch the budget to the new totem sky? 1850 gbp or thereabouts and i've heard good things about them. I know Chris at HiddenSystems has been very impressed with those little standmounts.
Regards
Daniel
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Efraim roots wrote:Another option might be Naim Ovator S-400.
I can not recommend Naim Ovators. Listening to piano music with its bigger brother S-600 I heard distortions of the BMR driver. I do not know whether it was a faulty driver or a general issue with these speakers. At least with my former Naim SBLs there was no issue with distortions. The 3677s are playing in another league.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

And I know you were interested in floorstanders, the arro are really good but I really can't be doing with that terrible base arrangement with the cheapo plinth.
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

Getting another speaker about the same size as the 109's is unlikely to sort your bass problems out. When the bass on a small speaker isn't sounding great, the first thought is usually "I need more bass, I need bigger speakers!" However this rarely produces the desired outcome, so I'd be inclined to think about increasing the "quality" of your system rather than "quantity"of bass it produces.

You should be able to find a used Lingo and Kore within your budget, and I'm sure this will do a lot more to improve your system than changing your speakers. The speakers are the least important component in a HiFi system and you've already got a very good pair.

Having said all that, I've just remembered that the Shahinian Compass are a great smallish speaker which produces a fair amount of good quality bass. They'd be great with your system as it is, and would be even better if you upgraded your turntable at a later date. Source first usually rules, but the Shahinians should provide a great temporary fix.

On second thoughts, upgrade your turntable first!!! It'll produce the biggest improvement for the money.

(I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure!)
jonteman

Post by jonteman »

Thank you for all suggestions!
I have been looking at all those speakers on the web. The problem is that nobody sells these speakers in my hometown and they are seldom for sale nearby.
I might consider going to Gothenburg soon where they at least have a few linn resellers and Klångedang too (a bit expensive).

Is a sub an alternative? I have heard so many issues with subs. Hard to get the system sound good...
ChrBea

Post by ChrBea »

I always like the way Audio Physics play the tune, when listening to them at my dealer. http://www.audiophysic.de/tempo_plus/index_e.html is an excellent not too expensive little floorstanding speaker. Classic series might be interesting too, but I haven't heard them yet
LP12 Kore-KRad-Majik Tonearm-Slipsik 8 & KDS/3 > Sagatun & Tundra Monos 3 > A242
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Finally - when I asked on the forum some time ago, about upgrading amps and speakers - some wise members suggested upgrading the source ( In my case from KRDS to KDS/1) !

Great advice as the quality of the bass ( if not the quantity) improved so much I forgot about the system and just enjoyed the music. I had Ninkas at the time with AK/1 and Tundra Monos.

Spannko wrote:Getting another speaker about the same size as the 109's is unlikely to sort your bass problems out. When the bass on a small speaker isn't sounding great, the first thought is usually "I need more bass, I need bigger speakers!" However this rarely produces the desired outcome, so I'd be inclined to think about increasing the "quality" of your system rather than "quantity"of bass it produces.

(I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure!)

Good advice in my opinion.

Much easier to do - and one will never regret the decision to improve the source.

I think having the LP12 tuned to ThomasOk/ Lejonklou settings would be a good start, good speaker cables and interconnects and a good phono stage ( Lejonklou ones are great) followed by Power supply/ chassis upgrades.

This will all give plenty of time to think about and listen to the speaker options- if still required!
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote:When the bass on a small speaker isn't sounding great, the first thought is usually "I need more bass, I need bigger speakers!" However this rarely produces the desired outcome, so I'd be inclined to think about increasing the "quality" of your system rather than "quantity"of bass it produces.
I suppose it depends exactly what the OP is looking for, which is always hard to know. The system could be well set-up already. And it strikes me as a well balanced selection of components.

I just feel that having lived with both floor standing and stand mounts (both well and not so well setup at various times), a floor stander adds another dimension to the music, especially rock and some pop. It's the one area of compromise I'd make over musicality. However, I wouldn't want to drop down in musicality in order to get to a floor stander, if that makes sense, although a small LP12 upgrade could be used to offset that.

But we're all different and go through different phases.
Efraim roots
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Efraim roots »

matthias wrote:
Efraim roots wrote:Another option might be Naim Ovator S-400.
I can not recommend Naim Ovators. Listening to piano music with its bigger brother S-600 I heard distortions of the BMR driver. I do not know whether it was a faulty driver or a general issue with these speakers. At least with my former Naim SBLs there was no issue with distortions. The 3677s are playing in another league.

Matt
Every time I heard Ovator S600 vs S400 I prefered the S400. I agree they sound a bit strange but I insist that they are actually a very musical speaker, I have compared them directly to quite a number incl. Naim Allae. I have never heard the SBL though (I listen to IBL right now :-)
the players of instruments shall be there..
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I agree with you too charlie1. I'm not sitting on the fence btw, it's a really difficult decision and it's why I left an indecisive post! As we know, improving the "quality" of a source usually makes a huge difference to the enjoyment we can get from our systems, but it's not long before the lack of bass issue raises its ugly head again! It's is if we need musicality and fidelity to be truly happy.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Spannko wrote:Getting another speaker about the same size as the 109's is unlikely to sort your bass problems out. When the bass on a small speaker isn't sounding great, the first thought is usually "I need more bass, I need bigger speakers!" However this rarely produces the desired outcome, so I'd be inclined to think about increasing the "quality" of your system rather than "quantity"of bass it produces.
Improving the quality will indeed make the situation better, but will never ever remove the desire for bass.