Small floorstanding speakers?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

jonteman

Re: Small floorstanding speakers?

Post by jonteman »

Hmm... I Think that the 109 delivers really good but perhaps not on moderate/low volume.
If I play louder they really comes to live.
What I am looking for is the deepness even if I play at lower volumes.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

jonteman wrote:Hmm... I Think that the 109 delivers really good but perhaps not on moderate/low volume.
Basically you have two issues but you can only address one of them.

1/ At low volumes, our ears are still very good at picking up the mid freq information, decreasing the ability in the freq extremes (bass and treble).
Actually a VERY smart feature in real life, but not so good listening to music at low volume.

2/ Most small speakers have issues with freq extremes at low volumes.

Those issues combined = not so good.

As I told you, the final solution is bigger speakers. Even if source first upgrades going to improve the situation, only you can answer if that's enough.
For me, only huge speakers will do.
Big elements (in my room 15" with 18" sub) have, in addition to better low freq reproduction, an unparalleled ability to move air in an effortless way making small and big dynamics a joy at any volume levels. This creates an illusion of good bass performance at low volumes imho.

Quality vs quantity? Both thank you very much :)
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

jonteman wrote:Hmm... I Think that the 109 delivers really good but perhaps not on moderate/low volume.
Have you checked that the piece of foam that sits behind the bass reflex port of 109 is not blocking the port?

I experimented with this back when I had 109's, as on mine they were originally very close to the port. I found they should be as far away as possible, pressed against the filter on the rear wall. It significantly affects the level and quality of the bass.

When you've checked this you might as well tighten the bass units with a torque screwdriver. This can make a surprisingly big difference.
jonteman

Post by jonteman »

Ok. I'll check that.
I hope it´s easy to do =)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Spannko wrote:I agree with you too charlie1. I'm not sitting on the fence btw, it's a really difficult decision and it's why I left an indecisive post! As we know, improving the "quality" of a source usually makes a huge difference to the enjoyment we can get from our systems, but it's not long before the lack of bass issue raises its ugly head again! It's is if we need musicality and fidelity to be truly happy.
My default position with HiFi seems to be on the fence :)

I agree, although perhaps I'd word it 'we need musicality and reasonable amount of bass (except Fredrik)'

Oh, and ML needs LOTS
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

Charlie1 wrote:
Spannko wrote:I agree with you too charlie1. I'm not sitting on the fence btw, it's a really difficult decision and it's why I left an indecisive post! As we know, improving the "quality" of a source usually makes a huge difference to the enjoyment we can get from our systems, but it's not long before the lack of bass issue raises its ugly head again! It's is if we need musicality and fidelity to be truly happy.
My default position with HiFi seems to be on the fence :)

I agree, although perhaps I'd word it 'we need musicality and reasonable amount of bass (except Fredrik)'

Oh, and ML needs LOTS
So does ThomasOK. And I'm loving it!
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Great Thread

No idea so many were seriously into their daily hit of bass.

I must be in the minority here - very happy with just musical systems.

I have found the only time I really notice bass - is when there is not something quite right with it. Better the system, the more it blends into the music and everything just sounds better.

In my main system - I am happy with 242s and when I tried Komponent 110s , they sounded great - even though the quantity of bass was tiny in comparision.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

u252agz wrote:Great Thread

Once you hear truly great bass, it's difficult to be without it. Like musicality...hard hitting bass is a drug :)
u252agz wrote: I have found the only time I really notice bass - is when there is not something quite right with it. Better the system, the more it blends into the music and everything just sounds better.
Agree.

And yes Komponent is a VERY musical speaker, very! And with great mid/treble. One of Linn's best. (given that you don't require dynamics and bass)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

u252agz wrote:No idea so many were seriously into their daily hit of bass.

It depends upon the music I'm listening to. It's really rock music that benefits most, and songs I'm familiar hearing 'with' bass. No matter how tuneful, some rock songs just don't deliver unless there's enough bass to power them along. They sound very diminished, small and I'm left feeling deflated - I'd rather be in the car listening to the same track via a much less musical system - it's that bad.

I find the same with headphones, so it's not cos I'm 'feeling' the bass more, although that's nice too :)

I reckon 80% of my music would be fine via small speakers.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Charlie1 wrote: I find the same with headphones, so it's not cos I'm 'feeling' the bass more, although that's nice too :)
Good point.
I never listen with headphones. Yet to hear a headphone as musical as good speakers, and in addition, the illusion of live music is reduced.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Music Lover wrote:I never listen with headphones. Yet to hear a headphone as musical as good speakers, and in addition, the illusion of live music is reduced.
Same for me.
I need the visceral impact of music, you never get this with headphones.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Charlie1 wrote:
u252agz wrote:No idea so many were seriously into their daily hit of bass.

It depends upon the music I'm listening to. It's really rock music that benefits most, and songs I'm familiar hearing 'with' bass.

I reckon 80% of my music would be fine via small speakers.
Now its beginning to make sense - I do not listen to Rock very much - Maybe I should give it a go and see what I have been missing.

In the old days my CD Players ( such as MArantz CD63) were never really very good and I never bought Rock vinyl for the RP3. I think I developed an aversion to Rock on digital which is still imprinted on my mind.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Music Lover wrote:
u252agz wrote:Great Thread

Once you hear truly great bass, it's difficult to be without it. Like musicality...hard hitting bass is a drug :)
I think I have yet to be so blessed. I don't think my 242's - much as I think there great, and the best I have heard to date- are in that league.

I can imagine that really great bass - would be quite transformative.

All my recent upgrades have made a quite major impact on bass quality which does seem to lift musicality to a whole different level - I am hoping Tarundus upgrades will continue this trend.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
jonteman

Post by jonteman »

What du you think about subs?
I am a bit sceptic. Heard so many things about it´s very difficult to get the system to play togeather.
Maybe a Totem sub? Suggestions?
PerFlemming

Post by PerFlemming »

FWIW I have tried the ATC C1 sub
It was great albeit a bit expensive even its their entry level.

BK subwoofers are great and popular alternatives and quite affordable, available direct from their website or eBay ( no distributors or dealers = saving $$$ )

Make sure to set level at minimum and frequency low maybe around 40-50hz, personally I like to hear nothing from it unless needed.

Linn & Naim subs are fine too but rather scarse
Zuio

Post by Zuio »

You won’t get Bass quantity with a small speaker! But you can get quality from PMC twenty5.24 speakers - deep bass with very good timing. Most speakers with big drivers deliver the bass quantity, but most of the time they are too slow (higher mass) and harm the overall timing. You can gain a bit of quantity with the right choice of amplifiers, positioning, and the source. Don’t look for the 3way Pmc unless you are going for the really expensive mb2se. The 2 ways are the sweetspot of PMC speakers. The tweeter is superb too.
Starman

Post by Starman »

Have a look at these: http://kudosaudio.com/x2/
I was at Peter Swain's a few weeks ago, I heard them played through a Klimax LP12 as well as my own LP12.
I am now considering changing from my Adam's Artist 6 Speakers Active which are small floor standers to these.
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

The new little Totem Sky Tower floorstanders are exceptional for their size and price - worth seeking out for an audition. Available in satin white too, but you might need to save a bit longer as they're over your budget (but not once you've sold the 109 and stands)
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.