Vibration patterns

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Vibration patterns

Post by beck »

After a lot of experimenting I am convinced that if anyone could invent a devise (x-ray?) that could read the vibration patterns different places on a hifi system it would be of great help to us all.
Different patterns that collapse together inside a hifi devise transported by cables are likely to have a negative effect on the outcome. Just a feeling I get from a lot of experimenting.
Last edited by beck on 2017-02-05 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Playing cd’s…………
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Vibration patterns

Post by donuk »

how about a small speaker driver or moving microphone, or a more sophisticated transducer connected to an oscilloscope?
Donuk sunny downtown York
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Even if we have the best measuring devices we would have to validate all results by human ear/brain with tune method.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

matthias wrote:Even if we have the best measuring devices we would have to validate all results by human ear/brain with tune method.

Matt
I agree but it could be nice to have some kind of pistol that could messure vibration (like the ones messuring heat from houses) to pinpoint where the problems are. Just like the clips we make it might help us! :-)
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

beck wrote:
matthias wrote:Even if we have the best measuring devices we would have to validate all results by human ear/brain with tune method.
Matt
I agree but it could be nice to have some kind of pistol that could messure vibration (like the ones messuring heat from houses) to pinpoint where the problems are. Just like the clips we make it might help us! :-)
Yes, but audio is far more sophisticated and difficult.
One example: Both the old steel sub chassis and the Keel are ringing, but the Keel is much superior. So measuring vibration may not be the best method to find out the best component in this case. And there is no evidence that dampening vibrations is superior for audio.

Matt
Matt

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

matthias wrote:
beck wrote:
Matt
Yes, but audio is far more sophisticated and difficult.
One example: Both the old steel sub chassis and the Keel are ringing, but the Keel is much superior. So measuring vibration may not be the best method to find out the best component in this case. And there is no evidence that dampening vibrations is superior for audio.

Matt
I agree. I want to "see" what patterns of vibration works well together and what ruins the sound. I do not want to dampen anything especially.
Playing cd’s…………
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I guess that when a piece of equipment placed on a certain "shelf" shows one kind of vibration and two different kinds of vibration is introduces into this piece from a power cable and a signal cable this can cause a "crash" creating new harmful vibration inside. It could be all about making these vibrations work together in a good way.
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Measuring vibration is like measuring the frequency response of a speaker. It is only one factor out of a multitude of factors to judge the quality of sound reproduction. The human ear/brain on the other side works integratively, takes ALL factors into account and is therefore able to give a valid result in a few seconds of comparisons with the right method. I do not believe that measuring vibrations alone is a valid tool to improve music playback.

Matt
Matt

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

matthias wrote:Measuring vibration is like measuring the frequency response of a speaker. It is only one factor out of a multitude of factors to judge the quality of sound reproduction. The human ear/brain on the other side works integratively, takes ALL factors into account and is therefore able to give a valid result in a few seconds of comparisons with the right method. I do not believe that measuring vibrations alone is a valid tool to improve music playback.

Matt
Again I agree. It has to be used together with our ears. Lets say that we find certain messured patterns to be the best in a hifi setup by listening to them of cause. Maybe they are valid in other setups as well.
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

beck wrote:Again I agree. It has to be used together with our ears. Lets say that we find certain messured patterns to be the best in a hifi setup by listening to them of cause. Maybe they are valid in other setups as well.
Do you know the C37 theory of Dieter Ennemoser:

http://www.ennemoser.com/tntinterview.html ?

Matt
Matt

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

matthias wrote:
beck wrote:Again I agree. It has to be used together with our ears. Lets say that we find certain messured patterns to be the best in a hifi setup by listening to them of cause. Maybe they are valid in other setups as well.

Matt
Ha, ha. You got there. Very interesting. I know that some have tried to copy the best violins but never made it! :-)

I rest my case....... :-)
Playing cd’s…………
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

beck wrote:Ha, ha. You got there. Very interesting. I know that some have tried to copy the best violins but never made it! :-)
I rest my case....... :-)
You can try to apply some C37 lacquer to your circuit boards and your speaker membranes for further improvements and please do not forget the clips.....:-)

Matt
Matt

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I think I will pass on that idea but thank you none the less. :-)
Playing cd’s…………
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

matthias wrote:

Matt
Very interesting article. Following up on some of the links was equally interesting. I wonder what those speakers sound like? I'd also like to know how exactly do you apply the body's average temperature to speaker drivers or lacquer? Also if your own typical temperature runs above or below this do the components have to be adjusted? I certainly hope you don't need to have your room at 98.6f for best performance! But I am curious about this.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

ThomasOK wrote: Very interesting article. Following up on some of the links was equally interesting. I wonder what those speakers sound like? I'd also like to know how exactly do you apply the body's average temperature to speaker drivers or lacquer? Also if your own typical temperature runs above or below this do the components have to be adjusted? I certainly hope you don't need to have your room at 98.6f for best performance! But I am curious about this.
Yes, it is. There is a web shop where you can order the lacquer for your environment temperature:

https://www.c37.net/default.asp

It would be interesting to try the lacquer at a circuit board which is prone to vibration, for example the 3677 filter board. In Europe there are some hard core folks who apply this lacquer to all the circuit boards, crossover boards and speaker membranes.

Matt
Matt

beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

matthias wrote:
ThomasOK wrote: Very interesting article. Following up on some of the links was equally interesting. I wonder what those speakers sound like? I'd also like to know how exactly do you apply the body's average temperature to speaker drivers or lacquer? Also if your own typical temperature runs above or below this do the components have to be adjusted? I certainly hope you don't need to have your room at 98.6f for best performance! But I am curious about this.
Yes, it is. There is a web shop where you can order the lacquer for your environment temperature:

https://www.c37.net/default.asp

It would be interesting to try the lacquer at a circuit board which is prone to vibration, for example the 3677 filter board. In Europe there are some hard core folks who apply this lacquer to all the circuit boards, crossover boards and speaker membranes.

Matt
Do you think this is what Boris Blank from Yello uses to get the extraordinary sound he creates (I have just ordered the new album Toy). :-)
Playing cd’s…………