Mono Vs Stereo 1960s LPs

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Mono Vs Stereo 1960s LPs

Post by Charlie1 »

This is a general mono vs stereo post, but I'm particularly interested if members think one will Tune Dem better than the other.

One reason I ask is that I don't have 'The White Album' (I know - there is no excuse) and not sure whether to spend the extra on mono - if I can find one. I do have 'Help' an 'A Hard Days Night' in both mono and stereo, but the stereo ones are in storage, so I can't compare at present.

I've read that the band spent a great deal more time and care on their mono masters in trying to get the sound they wanted, than they did on their stereo ones which were rushed and completed in a fraction of the time.

PS I'm not big on re-issues, but wouldn't it be great if EMI re-issued the Beatles LPs from the original analogue masters?! I've also read that since the early 80s, all Beatles LPs were mastered from digital copies made to DAT.

PPS Wasn't Hendrix version of 'All Along The Watchtower' one of the first stereo singles??
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Hi Charlie,the only album I have in both stereo and mono is JCs 'A love Supreme'.I don't remember thinking there was much of a difference and if there was I don't think I put it down to whether the difference was due to it being mono or stereo,probably the pressing.Although I may be wrong but I think ALS was originally recorded in stereo,so try and find out how the album was recorded before you start throwing big bucks at monos.
A quick question for anyone out there who has A love supreme:
How many people can you hear repeating the mantra 'A Love Supreme'?
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lego wrote:Although I may be wrong but I think ALS was originally recorded in stereo,so try and find out how the album was recorded before you start throwing big bucks at monos.
I confess that I haven't checked out the prices yet. I'll probably end up getting a 70s reissue. I've 'Rubber Soul' and 'Revolver' in these and they are quite good. They did have some strange ideas on implementing stereo though - Ringo's drums are usually on one speaker only.

I thought only 'Abbey Road' and 'Let It Be' were recorded in stereo, but haven't double checked.
Lego wrote:How many people can you hear repeating the mantra 'A Love Supreme'?
I'll have a listen - which track? Mine is a reissue - either Classic Records or Speakers Corner, can't recall which.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I am no particular mono freak, but I have met a few who are. When taken to its extreme - which is a mono record tracked by a true mono cartridge and played through a single speaker in the room - there are some advantages over a stereo system in terms of quality.

Regarding mono LP's, I have a couple of early Beatles and in my opinion they deliver a more intense experience (with better Tune Dem) than the stereo versions. The main reason for this is probably that the stereo versions are the same mix (or very similar - but on Revolver at least one song is slightly differently mixed) but with instruments separated 100% into the right or left channel... When used like that, no wonder George Martin thought stereo was a silly invention.

From what I have heard, all the early albums were originally mixed in mono and afterwards a (pointless) stereo version was made. From Sgt Pepper, however, the original mix was in stereo. If this is true (and please correct me if I'm wrong!), the White Album is likely not as important to get in stereo as the early records.

Just my 2 cents.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Lego wrote:A quick question for anyone out there who has A love supreme:
How many people can you hear repeating the mantra 'A Love Supreme'?
I was expecting this to be very faint, but it's quite loudly spoken by more than one person on my version.
Lejonklou wrote:From Sgt Pepper, however, the original mix was in stereo. If this is true (and please correct me if I'm wrong!), the White Album is likely not as important to get in stereo as the early records.
I've Google'd this and it seems to be quite an involved subject, but it appears that you are right in that a separate stereo mix was made for Sgt Pepper, although a lot of people prefer the mono mix.
As for the White Album, I'll go stereo - probably a re-issue.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

This is an interesting subject, but I know too little about it. We should get an expert in here who could sort things out!

I would get an original of The White Album, in stereo if it's a lot cheaper. I have one, not in perfect shape but still, it has the photographs inside and the serial number (No 310913) and I think it's a special moment when I put it on the LP12. A re-issue wouldn't be the same.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I don't know which is more tuneful but I do agree that the early Beatles Stereo records are poorly mixed with nothing in the middle. But if you want to head really wierd stereo mixing look no further that "Up from the Skies" on the Jimi Hendrix album "Axis: Bold As Love". It is the second cut and on it Jimi's torso runs from the left to the right at the end of one verse and back at the end of the next verse. While this back and forth running of his torso (and guitar) on EVERY verse would be disconcerting enough in itself it is made much worse by the fact that Jini's HEAD is running back and forth in the OPPOSITE direction at the same time! My guess is that the person doing the mixing was taking more drugs than Jimi himself at the time. :)

I have a mono version of Axis from Classic Records that is the one I most often listen to. For the others, like the Beatles records, I find the MONO button on the Klimax Kontrol does wonders. I noticed a while back that Art Dudely doesn't like preamps with no MONO button as he finds much of pop music is preferable switched into mono.
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

ThomasOK wrote:I have a mono version of Axis from Classic Records that is the one I most often listen to.
Yes, me too. I haven't got the original to compare against, but this is a good listen.

I'd like Classic Records to do 'Electric Ladyland', but no signs at the moment. An original went on ebay a few weeks ago for over £200! It's just crazy.

Have you heard Classic Records new Clarity Pressings yet (45RPM only I think)?