A tracking weight experiment for LP12 owners

General HiFi discussion, using the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Re: A tracking weight experiment for LP12 owners

Post by Defender » 2019-12-31 18:55

here are my findings for Ekos 2 and Arkiv B (not sure if it really is and Arkiv B as Arkiv B should have the serial number on the right side and has Linn Arkiv in silver letters on the cartridge ... mine has it in gold letters and serial number on the right side ... however I was told mine got a retip and the cantilever looks charcoal.

arm leveled so is swings around the parallel level and settles at parallel - there is no notch at the parallel level

most musical at VTF at 1.72 and antiscate at 1.70

However measured with a digital scale it measures 1.92

hesitating to change it from there as I am happy with how it plays right now

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK » 2019-12-31 19:48

When I had an Akiva I found it was most musical at 1.72 grams indicated as well. I would recommend leaving the tracking force dial right where it is but moving the counterweight slightly back until the scale reads 1.72 to 1.75 grams instead of 1.92 and see how it sounds. You can always return it to where it was if you don't like it but I believe you will improve perfromance further. I would also try anti-skating around 2.0 to 2.05 grams as that is more typically where I have found Ekos 2 and 1 to be most musical.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender » 2019-12-31 20:23

thank you Thomas I knew you you would say that ;) I will try.
Are you aware that some say you should adjust anti skating putting the needle where the grove runs out but not into the grove and adjust AS in a way that it just barely moves inwards before it finds the grove - if I do that I have much less AS in the region of 1.65
this comes from re-tip guy like sound smith who look at where the tip is more worn out in most of their jobs

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK » 2019-12-31 21:07

As I'm getting ready to leave the store for my New Years Eve celebrations this reply will be unusually brief (especially for me). ;-)

That method of setting anti-skate is incorrect and totally useless. Anti-skate compensates for an inward force caused by friction of the stylus in the groove. Put the stylus on flat vinyl and you have radically altered that friction and invalidated the approach. The only useful way is to test by listening for when everything is the most focused and musical.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender » 2019-12-31 22:12

I see what you mean - thank you for this short but informative answer
have a lot of fun at your New Years Eve celebration and a healthy new year.

Hermann

Post by Hermann » 2020-01-16 11:39

update - EKOS 2 with Arkiv B
Tracingforce_x.JPG
Tracingforce_x.JPG (103.63 KiB) Viewed 215 times

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender » 2020-01-17 11:36

I was working again with my tonearm as I wanted to check if the bearings are o.k.

What I did was balancing it to 0/floating with no tracking force.
Than I used faint blowing from the side to see if it gets stuck somewhere. Movement was easy and seemed completely free. So I thought I should use a very low antiskating setting of 0.3 to 0.4 to check if it swings back without getting stuck somewhere.
It was swinging back free from center of LP to the middle of the playing area where it stopped - if I was pushing it over this point it was moving free to the outside of the LP.

Should the arm swing completely from in to out without stopping in the middle meaning my bearings have an issue?

V.A.MKD

Post by V.A.MKD » 2020-01-17 12:11

Hi Defender,
As far as I know, tonearm with anti - skating 0.3-0.4 mast go back to "tonearm - rest" ...
But, maybe it's not bearing issue, maybe it's "tonearm wire" issue ...
Best will be to contact official service ... or some suggestions here, from much more experienced members than me ... Maybe I'm wrong ...
All the best
Music First ...
Vlado

Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender » 2020-02-13 21:41

just for correcting things my retipped Arkiv B sounds best at 1.79 ITF
I have not measured the real TF (MTF)
Antiskating is now at 2.1

as most of the cartridges did fall into the space of 1.70-1.76 I didnt test higher weights and 1.72 sounded very open to me (trap) I thought thats the right setting

I am sorry that probably made things in the Playground section for clocking the platter unnecessarily more difficult.