We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Absolute Bargains!

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Discodave wrote: 2020-10-05 01:19 Many thanks Tony
You're welcome Discodave, glad to help. And if you decide to use LPC's, let us know what you think.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

One of my wife's Xmas presents today was an old Roberts R606-MB radio. They sell for about £25+ on ebay. I cleaned this one up and teak oiled the sides.

We first came across one at a holiday home earlier this year and both really enjoyed listening to it. It just sounds really nice and is good with pop, classical and especially people just talking, such as Radio 4 which my wife enjoys. There is something much less intrusive about a smaller sound when busy in the kitchen. We can use the Sneaky system but it's just not the same - - the sound is too big listening to people talk on the radio.
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

That looks very cool, definitely in with the retro thing you are into.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-12-26 00:28 One of my wife's Xmas presents today was an old Roberts R606-MB radio. They sell for about £25+ on ebay. I cleaned this one up and teak oiled the sides.

We first came across one at a holiday home earlier this year and both really enjoyed listening to it. It just sounds really nice and is good with pop, classical and especially people just talking, such as Radio 4 which my wife enjoys. There is something much less intrusive about a smaller sound when busy in the kitchen. We can use the Sneaky system but it's just not the same - - the sound is too big listening to people talk on the radio.
Love it Charlie,glad I saw this after Xmas 😄
I know that tune
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Thanks Gents!
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

January 2021, at Amazon.de and Amazon.se, you can find the Bang & Olufsen Earset for EUR64.95. It is a good discount for a premium product
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

These have been mentioned in a few places, including by Fredrik as high up in his ranking of headphones, but I didn't see them here. They definitely should be!

Yesterday I had some time to listen to headphones in the store as it was very cold and snowy so few customers were coming in. I also had burned in the Giella with constant playing for about a week and a half. So I started listening to the various wired headphones in the store. I won't give a ranking of all of them here (I need to do some more listening for further verification) but the SR125e are really excellent. Indeed with a slight modification they were my overall favorite. The modification was to put what Grado calls the G cushions on them. These are their largest cushions that fit around the ear. They are very big and not particularly attractive and come on the G series and the bigger P series headphones. They run $50 a pair.

I found the SR125e to be very musical in a way that was hard to beat for any of the others. But I did notice the bass was a bit too much and the vocals could be a little shouty at times. Then just for the heck of it I tried the G cushions on them. All the good things were still there but with increased resolution and better balance. Now the bass was more even and tighter and the vocals, while showing more inflection lost the shouty quality. It was this combo that brought a tear to my eyes with from a rip or a 1970 James Taylor album.

Highly recommended and only $200 with the cushions!
The LP12 Whisperer
DelNaja

Post by DelNaja »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-02-06 17:34 The modification was to put what Grado calls the G cushions on them. These are their largest cushions that fit around the ear. They are very big and not particularly attractive and come on the G series and the bigger P series headphones. They run $50 a pair.

I found the SR125e to be very musical in a way that was hard to beat for any of the others. But I did notice the bass was a bit too much and the vocals could be a little shouty at times. Then just for the heck of it I tried the G cushions on them. All the good things were still there but with increased resolution and better balance. Now the bass was more even and tighter and the vocals, while showing more inflection lost the shouty quality. It was this combo that brought a tear to my eyes with from a rip or a 1970 James Taylor album.

Thank you ThomasOK! Nice to hear about the impact of the G cushions, I was curious about that.
tokenbrit
Very active member
Very active member

Post by tokenbrit »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-02-06 17:34 Highly recommended and only $200 with the cushions!
Good to know, even if that's double my budget - and, yes, I'm aware that $200 is an absolute head-fi bargain :p
Have you tried the L-cushions? Curious if they're an improvement over the standard pads on the 60 or 80 in particular. In my case, the headphones wouldn't be for critical listening; just for online content including playground clips :)
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I actually didn't find the L cushions to be an improvement on the 125. Nor were the S cushions an improvement on the 225s (which I didn't like as well).
The LP12 Whisperer
El Mero Mero

Post by El Mero Mero »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-02-06 17:34 I found the SR125e to be very musical in a way that was hard to beat for any of the others.
Thank you ThomasOK for the recommendation. I just bought a pair of SR125e to use with my laptop for Youtube and Spotify. No plans or possibilities to connect them to the stereo. They seem easy to drive and sounds good. I like the on-ear approach. The only bad thing so far is the nasty SMELL of that cable.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Robert Lake wrote: 2021-01-12 11:37 January 2021, at Amazon.de and Amazon.se, you can find the Bang & Olufsen Earset for EUR64.95. It is a good discount for a premium product
Have you listened to them Robert and if so what are their qualities ?
I know that tune
Robert Lake

Post by Robert Lake »

See my recent review of AKG N200 and B&O Earbuds under Tune dem of headphones.
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

Robert Lake wrote: 2021-02-28 18:45

See my recent review of AKG N200 and B&O Earbuds under Tune dem of headphones.
Thanks Robert
I know that tune
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

Entity 1.0 to Entity 1.1 upgrade
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

How would you describe it Defender?
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Defender
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Defender »

I would describe it as a „steal“, a must have.
If you are asking about what it does differently with respect to presenting music please find my description in the Entity thread ... which I just saw you already commented on.
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Many thanks!
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
PetterS

Post by PetterS »

Swedish auction with some high end stuff. 14 hours left.
https://www.auktionsgruppen.se/Auktione ... 2021-04-18
Primare Np5 & NP30, Genki, Boazu, Ninka w. Poly. st., ICs: Linn Si & bl incl. dig, tt TD46,
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

ThomasOK wrote: 2021-02-06 17:34 These have been mentioned in a few places, including by Fredrik as high up in his ranking of headphones, but I didn't see them here. They definitely should be!

Yesterday I had some time to listen to headphones in the store as it was very cold and snowy so few customers were coming in. I also had burned in the Giella with constant playing for about a week and a half. So I started listening to the various wired headphones in the store. I won't give a ranking of all of them here (I need to do some more listening for further verification) but the SR125e are really excellent. Indeed with a slight modification they were my overall favorite. The modification was to put what Grado calls the G cushions on them. These are their largest cushions that fit around the ear. They are very big and not particularly attractive and come on the G series and the bigger P series headphones. They run $50 a pair.

Since I had put this post here I thought this might be as good a place as any to put this followup, though the moderators should feel free to move it if they feel there is someplace better. The SR125e is being replaced, as are all the Grado Prestige series headphones. On Sunday Grado announced that the Prestige series are being upgraded. The new series will be the X models and will include new versions of the SR60, 80, 125, 225 and 325. They feature new X drivers, tuned to each model and using a lighter voice coil and new diaphragm, with increased magnetic power, said to bring improved sound and better sensitivity. They also sport new, more flexible cables with woven jackets, that are also said to have higher quality copper and improve the sound, and feature more comfortable, padded headbands.

Prices have increased on all but the SR325. New pricing in the US is SR60 $99, SR80 $125, SR125 $175, SR225 $225 with the SR325 $295 as before. So if the SR125x is still as good or better than it's predecessor it is still a bargain. Of course, they had to do all this just a couple of months after I did my major listening to almost the full line. So more listening will be involved once the new units start arriving in the next couple of months. I had just ordered a pair of SR125e and the G cushions for myself last week so i assume they will send me the new ones, especially as they said it would take a couple weeks to get them out. (I assume nothing! I will call to make sure they do.) So I should know at least how the new SR125x stacks up before long.
The LP12 Whisperer
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

I'm not sure if these two items have been added to the "Absolute Bargains" list, but they are affordable items for reasonable prices. I just tried a friends record cleaning machine called the Spin-Clean Mkll kit. It's easy to use, works great and costs around $80.00 for the basic kit or $130.00 for the deluxe kit.

1) https://has-sound.com/wp-content/upload ... -CLEAN.jpg

And thanks to Thomas, I've been using "Silly Putty" to remove gunk from my stylus. And the prices range from $1.00 to a few dollars more, depending on the packaging.

2) https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... f=1&nofb=1
Tony Tune-age
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

Link does not work.
Thanks

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Thanks for telling me Matt. And as it turns out, the link will open sometimes but not always. I'll look for another link...
matthias wrote: 2021-07-05 20:35
Link does not work.
Thanks

Matt
Tony Tune-age
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Here's another link for the "Spin-Clean Mkll" album cleaning machine. The previous link had issues...

1) http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/e ... leaner.htm

And here's another Silly Putty link too...

2) https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... %3DApi&f=1
Tony Tune-age
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

I must admit that I'm very skeptical of all record cleaning machines. I find they don't clean the records very well and tend to alter the sound in a politer and boring way, essentially decreasing dynamics.

I stick to the old Linn advice of letting the stylus clean the record and then clean the stylus (for which I use silly putty and green paper).