Absolute Bargains!

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Absolute Bargains!

Post by ThomasOK »

I was going to throw a mention elsewhere that you want to listen to an iPhone vertically rather than horizontally. Every time I try it I find it sounds much better. When used horizontally I believe iPhones, at least my 8+, uses the speaker for your ear (up by the top when held vertically) for one channel and the bottom ones for the other giving an unbalanced and not very good sound. When used vertically it uses the two identical speakers on the bottom for the two channels.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

lejonklou wrote: 2019-06-03 21:49
matthias wrote: 2019-06-02 21:37 I like to recommend this DAC:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/ ... 13062.html

USB and SPDIF inputs.
USB Vbus powered, for SPDIF you need a 5V PS.

This DAC needs at least 20h burn in.

Tuneful, musical, lifelike in my set-up.

Matt
Hi Matt!

Did you compare this DAC to ESI Gigaport? If so, what were your findings?
khadas.jpg
It's highly rated by the site that recommended Sopper's 2K DAC. I'm sceptical of all reviews, I worked for a company who gave junior journalists articles and brown envelopes - I believe that practice is widespread,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everything is a remix: Copy, Transform, Combine.
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-06 20:21 It's highly rated by the site that recommended Sopper's 2K DAC. I'm sceptical of all reviews, I worked for a company who gave junior journalists articles and brown envelopes - I believe that practice is widespread,
Yes, I know this site and the measurements.
They are a nice by-product.
But anyway, after burn-in this cheap DAC is really musical.
Above all this DAC delivers as my 3677s what I like: PRaT and slam.
I preferred it to a 4k DAC.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

matthias wrote: 2020-03-07 22:55
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-06 20:21 It's highly rated by the site that recommended Sopper's 2K DAC. I'm sceptical of all reviews, I worked for a company who gave junior journalists articles and brown envelopes - I believe that practice is widespread,

Matt
Good to know Matt. How does it measure up to the Gigaport?
matthias
Very active member
Very active member

Post by matthias »

FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-08 10:20 Good to know Matt. How does it measure up to the Gigaport?
Sorry Brian,
I do not have one.
Maybe I buy the new eX if the first reports are good.

Matt
Matt

MBP / Exposure pre + power (both modified) / JBL3677
FairPlayMotty
Very active member
Very active member

Post by FairPlayMotty »

matthias wrote: 2020-03-08 11:48
FairPlayMotty wrote: 2020-03-08 10:20 Good to know Matt. How does it measure up to the Gigaport?
Sorry Brian,
I do not have one.
Maybe I buy the new eX if the first reports are good.

Matt
No worries. My thoughts are that I'd have to be blown away to move from the Gigaport. The various players I have based on a variety of motherboards each have a specific musical signature. I can switch between them with ease. I originally planned to go with one but the test setup is leading me to conclude I go with two players. I have enough to cover the lounge, kitchen, bedrooms etc. Sticking with the three Gigaport DACs brings out the differences in the players very clearly.
Teemu

Post by Teemu »

http://musiikincom.valmiskauppa.fi/lejo ... -2454.html

Bargain for sure..

..but is it still good nowadays? How does it compare to the latest linn power cables?

At least here's a piece of history.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Teemu wrote: 2020-08-10 17:49 http://musiikincom.valmiskauppa.fi/lejo ... -2454.html

Bargain for sure..

..but is it still good nowadays? How does it compare to the latest linn power cables?

It's still very good for early Lingo's (1, 2 and 3). But for everything else, my latest power cords are much better.
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-08-10 20:26
Teemu wrote: 2020-08-10 17:49 http://musiikincom.valmiskauppa.fi/lejo ... -2454.html

Bargain for sure..

It's still very good for early Lingo's (1, 2 and 3). But for everything else, my latest power cords are much better.
In my experiences, the Lejonklou Power Cords (LPC's)are an absolute bargain in terms of performance and especially price! They have sounded better than power cords costing hundreds and thousands of dollars more. And the Entity is on my list of bargains as well. I have not heard a better sounding phono preamp at any price, excluding the Singularities of course.

There is one more item that is on my absolute bargain list, and that's the Linn Karousel bearing system. For the money and in my system, it has made a much bigger improvement overall than the either Radikal or Ekos SE-1.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

How much are the power cords?
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
Lego
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Lego »

matthias wrote: 2020-03-07 22:55

Matt
Hold on a little minute there Matt,how do you know all this information having had absolutely no experience with it ,are you a bot?
I know that tune
Tony Tune-age
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Tony Tune-age »

Discodave wrote: 2020-10-04 10:58 How much are the power cords?
I might have paid around $40.00 (U.S. currency) for each Lejonklou power cord (LPC), which could have included tax as well. And as it turned out, they sounded better than several other power cords costing well over $1,000.00 each. I'm using a LPC on the Klimax Radikal, Klimax Kontrol and Pekin turner. My recently acquired Entity comes with a hard wired LPC already attached.

Cheers
Tony Tune-age
Discodave
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Discodave »

Many thanks Tony
LP12, Lingo 3, Cirkus/Kore, Tramp 2, Basik Plus Ania, Linto
Majik Ds, Kisto, Tundra 2.0, Majik 109
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

New Bargain! Rega has come out with a new, entry-level integrated amp, the io at $595US. It is basically a scaled down version of the Brio. The io has three inputs, a mini headphone jack and a set of five-way speaker binding posts. Input 1 is a MM phono input. No other outputs, no DAC, no balance or tone controls, just a simple, very good integrated.

I haven't spent a lot of time with this unit yet but I can already tell you it is very, very good. It is smaller than the the Brio, and rated at a lower power at 30 Watts a channel, but since it is said by Rega to have the same phono stage and power amplifier stage I'm not quite sure why it isn't the same 50 Watts as its big brother. Regardless of its power rating the io plays records with very musical bass with realistic texture and a nice flow top to bottom. I have only tried the phono input, and only with a Planar 2 and a Planar 1 so far, but I am very impressed with this piece which easily musically outperforms anything else I have heard at its price range and many well above. Definitely check it out if you are looking for a small system for a second room or vacation home or have a friend looking for a quality budget system. It will be my go to amp for people wanting to put together a simple, musical system at a reasonable price if it is in their range.

Rega also has a complete vinyl playing system package with a Planar 1, the io, a pair of their new Kyte speakers and cabling all in one box too. I don't know when it arrives in the US or how much it will sell for but I believe it is £999 in the UK so probably about $1500 here. I haven't heard the new Kyte yet but we already have some very good speakers at $399 we could put with that kind of system to hit the same price. Of course, you can also put a much higher quality source with it and enjoy it even more. I thought of the Brio as the spiritual successor to the Naim Nait, but with its even more simple nature, lower price and great sound I think of the io as an even more appropriate successor.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Spannko
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Spannko »

I second your recommendation for the new baby Rega amp although I’ve only heard the £1000 “System in a Box” at the Bristol HiFi show where I thought that it was one of the highlights of the show. Musically, I thought that it was probably better than anything else I heard that day (off the top of my head, I can’t remember anything being more musical). I remember thinking “For a couple of ponies, this is crazily good!”
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I agree Spannko.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Great info ...
Thank you ...
Music First ...
Vlado
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

I have to recommend Linn K20 speaker cable. Cheap and really musical.

It has made my cd sound more dense and less hifi. Natural timing makes all music enjoyable.
Playing cd’s…………
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

beck wrote: 2020-10-09 08:52 I have to recommend Linn K20 speaker cable. Cheap and really musical.

It has made my cd sound more dense and less hifi. Natural timing makes all music enjoyable.
Hi Beck,
Great to hear that.
What is the length of K20 that you use? 2,48 m? or 3,50 "+"m (the length that Naim recommended / K20 and Naim NAC A5 are very close in design ... )?
Music First ...
Vlado
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

A bought a used pair of K20 speaker cable terminated 2.5 meters long for £20.
Playing cd’s…………
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Bargain of the Year award goes to Beck!
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

beck wrote: 2020-10-09 09:14 A bought a used pair of K20 speaker cable terminated 2.5 meters long for £20.
Great, 2.5 m very very close to forum length and for 20 ... it's real absolute bargain.
Music First ...
Vlado
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

Charlie1 wrote: 2020-10-09 09:23 Bargain of the Year award goes to Beck!
+1 vote ... :-)
Music First ...
Vlado
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-10-09 09:24
beck wrote: 2020-10-09 09:14 A bought a used pair of K20 speaker cable terminated 2.5 meters long for £20.
Great, 2.5 m very very close to forum length and for 20 ... it's real absolute bargain.
I don't think that anyone has evaluated the optimal length of K20.

For K400 it's 2.48 m, but it is of a different construction than K20.
V.A.MKD
Very active member
Very active member

Post by V.A.MKD »

lejonklou wrote: 2020-10-09 09:36
V.A.MKD wrote: 2020-10-09 09:24
I don't think that anyone has evaluated the optimal length of K20.

For K400 it's 2.48 m, but it is of a different construction than K20.
Yes Mr. Lejonklou, K400/2,48 m/twisted construction ... K20/2,5 m/parallel construction of + and - wires as well as other differences ... That's why I say very close to ...
Music First ...
Vlado