Absolute Bargains!

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

lejonklou wrote:I don't claim this to be the best distribution block available, but nearly! It sounds good and is very cheap. In Sweden the 6-way block is available at Clas Ohlson for SEK 35 (4€) and the part number is 32-7216. The cable is 1.4 meters long.

The exact same type is also available in a 3-way version with 1.4, 3 or 5 meters of cable. Stay away from the versions that have a mains switch as they sound much worse!

The 6-way version with 1.4 m cable looks like this:
There is a new power strip available at Biltema (Swedish chain of cheap parts for your car), which looks similar to the above strip. But it looks even more similar, almost identical, to the best power strip I've ever heard: The one I bought the entire remaining stock of and sold to you guys.

The Biltema strip costs nearly nothing and I bought a few when I saw them. The problem is that I don't have any time for comparisons. Anyone who does and who'd like to tell us if it's better than the Clas Ohlson strip? Come pick up one of mine for free, or buy one at Biltema.
Johan

Re: AKG K 420 headphones

Post by Johan »

Hi.
Picking up an old thread here.
Today the right ear on my beloved AKG K412P went silent. Loose contacts by the 3.5 mm plug ... One of my big annoyances with STUFF is that today, it's made to brake. With some great exceptions like Lejonklou's products. :)
Anyway, I'll get them fixed! But I have use for another pair of headphones and now I'm looking for the K214P:s worthy replacement. K214P is out of production since a couple of years, and it seems that the AKG 420 is on its way out the line as well, although they are still available (about €55).
My question to you guys is if this is still the winner pair of headphones or if there is a new star on the sky?
Linnofil wrote:
lejonklou wrote:Got them! Great pair of headphones!
Once again I owe you great thanks, Linnofil!
That's nice to hear, I'm really glad you liked them!
Kind regards,
Johan
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Johan wrote:My question to you guys is if this is still the winner pair of headphones or if there is a new star on the sky?
Welcome Johan!

Would be worth your while reading Tom's post on this thread, ref various Grado headphones he tried:

http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... ade7db84a3
Johan

Post by Johan »

Thanks Charlie!
I have a pair of Grado 60 that i really like, bought them back in ... 2002 i think(!).
I actually liked the K412P better.
In the AKG (absolute bargain) range today, what would be your choice?
Charlie1 wrote:
Johan wrote:My question to you guys is if this is still the winner pair of headphones or if there is a new star on the sky?
Welcome Johan!

Would be worth your while reading Tom's post on this thread, ref various Grado headphones he tried:

http://www.lejonklou.com/forum/viewtopi ... ade7db84a3
Kind regards,
Johan
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Johan wrote:Thanks Charlie!
I have a pair of Grado 60 that i really like, bought them back in ... 2002 i think(!).
I actually liked the K412P better.
In the AKG (absolute bargain) range today, what would be your choice?
I only have the K24Ps and K420s. They are pretty close performance wise. The former being more tuneful. The later being a lot more comfortable, but with only a short line cord, which is annoying.

The K412s look like the K24Ps, but I've not heard them.

Personally, I want to spend a bit more and get something that's really comfortable and has a long line cord. Ideally, something like the Grado's Tom mentioned for around £150, but I haven't used headphones in a while now and it seems a bit of a waste of money (again).
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie1 wrote:I only have the K24Ps and K420s. They are pretty close performance wise. The former being more tuneful. The later being a lot more comfortable, but with only a short line cord, which is annoying.

The K412s look like the K24Ps, but I've not heard them.
K412 are said to be identical to K24P, apart from the colour (grey on 412).

I have one pair of K420 and others in the family have K24P's. I used to think that K420's were better, at least they're a bit smoother sounding. But a customer I visited demonstrated them to me on various pieces of music and I agreed with him that the K24P's actually made a little more sense musically. At least his two pairs - I suspect these kind of products can vary a bit between different specimen.

Johan, my vote goes to repairing the K24P's. If it doesn't work out, get a pair of K420 (if you can still find them).
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Johan, the AKG K 403 is the new replacement for K24P. In Sweden you can get it for SEK 249 (£23, $37) here: http://cdon.se/hemelektronik/akg_k_403-8867512. It's the same headphones as K24P, except the different colour and the missing zipper storage bag. Still a bargain!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Linnofil wrote:the AKG K 403 is the new replacement for K24P
!!

Why all the different model numbers? And why change the appearance from decent to worse?

Thanks for the info, Linnofil!
Marishvcard

RE:

Post by Marishvcard »

Linnofil wrote:Johan, the AKG K 403 is the new replacement for K24P. In Sweden you can get it for SEK 249 (£23, $37) here: http://cdon.se/hemelektronik/akg_k_403-8867512. It's the same headphones as K24P, except the different colour and the missing zipper storage bag. Still a bargain!
I found the link broken. Would you please make another example where I can see the difference between AKG K 403 and K24P.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

There was a dot in the end of the link, therefore it didn't work. Try this:

http://cdon.se/hemelektronik/akg_k_403-8867512
Andrén

Post by Andrén »

lejonklou wrote:
lejonklou wrote:I don't claim this to be the best distribution block available, but nearly! It sounds good and is very cheap. In Sweden the 6-way block is available at Clas Ohlson for SEK 35 (4€) and the part number is 32-7216. The cable is 1.4 meters long.

The exact same type is also available in a 3-way version with 1.4, 3 or 5 meters of cable. Stay away from the versions that have a mains switch as they sound much worse!

The 6-way version with 1.4 m cable looks like this:
There is a new power strip available at Biltema (Swedish chain of cheap parts for your car), which looks similar to the above strip. But it looks even more similar, almost identical, to the best power strip I've ever heard: The one I bought the entire remaining stock of and sold to you guys.

The Biltema strip costs nearly nothing and I bought a few when I saw them. The problem is that I don't have any time for comparisons. Anyone who does and who'd like to tell us if it's better than the Clas Ohlson strip? Come pick up one of mine for free, or buy one at Biltema.

Do you know if the Clas ohlson power strip is still available?
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Kef Egg speakers on their stands - (I have series 2, and have stolen a pair from my reserve surround sound system), sounds great with my sneaky ( using its internal amp) in our breakfast kitchen. This large room has wooden floors and is acoustically challenging.

The newer versions probably cost £100 or so a pair and I guess £75 for the stands.

I have tried 'proper' stand mount speakers ( Mordaunt Short) and the Kef eggs sound far far better.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
kropo

Post by kropo »

Andrén wrote:Do you know if the Clas ohlson power strip is still available?
Hi

I purchased two of these at Finland in couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the tip Mr. Lejonklou, these were more musical than my MusicLine power strip.

Regards

Jake
Clark

Post by Clark »

kropo wrote:
Andrén wrote:Do you know if the Clas ohlson power strip is still available?
Hi

I purchased two of these at Finland in couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the tip Mr. Lejonklou, these were more musical than my MusicLine power strip.

Regards

Jake
kropo: More specifically, which models from Clas Ohlson are you referring to?

I have been using one with the integrated switch function and would be interested in comparing this to the switchless versions.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Clark wrote:kropo: More specifically, which models from Clas Ohlson are you referring to?

I have been using one with the integrated switch function and would be interested in comparing this to the switchless versions.
The part number is 32-7216. 6-way, no switch and the cable is 1.4 meters long. Much better than the models with an illuminated switch!

A power strip with very similar performance is Deltaco GT-126.
A bit worse than the above two is Biltema's similar-looking model.
Teemu

Post by Teemu »

Have anybody tryed this new Class Ohlsson disribution block, it's same named cable and part number that earlier version but connector and block itself is different, cable is little bit stiffer and text is melted to cable. Here is pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mlh67289n43p ... 093211.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pmq5cmzm5htfh ... 101903.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tuv9lluhu1mca ... 101850.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5dhgf7hycmnw ... 101939.jpg
Last edited by Teemu on 2014-04-23 08:27, edited 2 times in total.
kropo

Post by kropo »

^ Hi

I have bought this new model type.

Clark: Sorry for late answer, the new model of that what mr. Lejonklou earlier wrote.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

The block of the Clas Ohlson strip has changed a couple of times, but it seems the performance is identical. I have not yet seen the new plug in your picture, Teemu, but I hope that the vital parts are the same.

Can you confirm that the cable is still 1.4 m? This detail is important. I had another distribution block with an identical 3x1.5 mm2 cable but different lengths (I think they were 1.5 and 3.0 m respectively) and the block with the short cable was much better.
Teemu

Post by Teemu »

Yes, cable is still 1,4m but a little bit stiffer than original "Cotech" block and text is melted to cable.
Stevie

Post by Stevie »

Does anyone know if the UK version of the 6-way Clas Ohlson with the 1m cable offers similar performance, please?
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Charlie gave me some tips on 4- and 6-way UK power strips. Hidden Systems bought them for my Sagatun premiere and they seemed very good.

Maybe Charlie can share the link to where they were sold?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I tested a few and found a basic 4-way Masterplug with 1m cord best. I cannot see a part number on mine, but it may have changed by now anyway. It looks like BFG1-MS from the following URL:
http://www.nexusinds.com/masterplug/uk/ ... 1gExtLeads

That part code doesn't include a neon light, despite the photo showing one.

And here's an example on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Masterplug-4- ... 0812530601

Mine cost about £3 from Woolworths. I sent Fredrik a link to Robert Dyas who had a 2-for-1 offer on, but it's gone now. They also appear to have renamed it to 'Connect IT', so worth visiting a store to check it's still the Masterplug: -
http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/connect-it- ... m-ext-lead
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Thanks Charlie!

There was a 6-way model of the same type as the 4-way and I think they sounded the same.
Stevie

Post by Stevie »

Thank you, Charlie and Lejonklou!

Unfortunately, there isn't a Robert Dyas within a 100 miles of where I live and Woolworths have gone the way of the dodo, but I shall seek out the Masterplug/Connect IT models.
Per A

Tivoli radio as headphone amp

Post by Per A »

Goodmorning,

Yesterday I listened to BBC6 music via TuneIn on my my Iphone. I very much enjoy the weekly shows Iggy Pop are doing on Sundays and that can be heard one week after. Anyway being in our summer cottage the speaker of use is a Tivoli PAL radio and when my family wanted to sleep I plugged my headphones into the jack in the back. So I heard the rest of the show with iphone 5/tivoli/Sennheiser Momentum and it was fun. It can go very loud and damage your hearing but reak music was getting through. I would not be surprised if it betters the jack of my Akurate Kontrol at home.
This was a nice discovery and cheap as I already owned the not so cheap Tivoli.