Gaio bass-shy?

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

JPM

Gaio bass-shy?

Post by JPM »

I have compared the Gaio to the Rega Fono MM mk2 and it is far superior on almost all aspects. However, it sounds a bit bass-shy compared to the Rega. Really low frequencies sound more controlled with the Gaio and are definately present, but with bass guitar and bass drums in rock music it seems to lack some drive.

Have others here similar experiences or other feedback? How does the Gaio compare to the Slipsik on this issue?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Gaio bass-shy?

Post by Charlie1 »

Do you have small stand mount speakers? I had a similar experience with Kans when I upgraded to Cirkus kit. I'm sure you're now getting a truer picture though.
JPM

Post by JPM »

Charlie1 wrote:Do you have small stand mount speakers? I had a similar experience with Kans when I upgraded to Cirkus kit. I'm sure you're now getting a truer picture though.
No Naim Ovator S400 floodstanders. You might be right on a truer picture indeed
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Have you tried retuning the speaker position, especially the distance to the rear wall? You'll get more bass moving them back closer to the wall, but try to find the most tuneful distance.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

JPM wrote:I have compared the Gaio to the Rega Fono MM mk2 and it is far superior on almost all aspects. However, it sounds a bit bass-shy compared to the Rega. Really low frequencies sound more controlled with the Gaio and are definately present, but with bass guitar and bass drums in rock music it seems to lack some drive.

Have others here similar experiences or other feedback? How does the Gaio compare to the Slipsik on this issue?
Please get a Slipsik and compare. The best MM riaa I heard, for just a little more.
It's all about musical understanding!
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

I haven't done this comparison so I can't speak from actual experience. However, in my experience the bass on the Gaio is very good (and yes, that of the Slipsik is even better). The bass also improves in depth and detail with burn in so if it's a new unit you'll probably notice an improvement with a little time on it.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
JPM

Post by JPM »

Today, I decided to keep the Gaio and sell the Rega. IMO the Rega is perceived to have more bass-drive due to the fact that the Gaio has much more control at lower frequencies. Sound already has improved further since I got it a week ago (brand new one).

Also liked to compare with the Slipsik 6, but I understand from the local dealer that these are out of stock right now, so I am afraid I have to postpone that. Otherwise, I might have chosen for the Slipsik right away.

I am looking forward to play loads of vinyl during the upcoming holidays!

Marry Xmas and Happy New Year to everyone!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

JPM wrote: Also liked to compare with the Slipsik 6, but I understand from the local dealer that these are out of stock right now, so I am afraid I have to postpone that. Otherwise, I might have chosen for the Slipsik right away.
Please tell the dealer that you like to compare with Slipsik when he receive one and ask him for a full refund on the Gaio if you prefer Slipsik.
It's all about musical understanding!
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Hi JPM!

The conclusion you reached was what I wanted to suggest, but as it's my own product it felt a bit presumptuous. A high degree of control in the bass often feels like "less" and sometimes even "there's no bass on this song?" - until the bass really starts and one realises it's certainly there.

I feel that poor HiFi equipment often adds bass that isn't really part of the music and doesn't contribute to the experience.

Regarding Slipsik, it's not out of stock. But the waiting time to get one is quite long, between one and two months at present. The reason is that I build these myself, one by one, and they are very time consuming to assemble. I'm trying to find someone who can make them for me, but it's quite tricky. So for now I will continue building them myself, one by one.
JPM

Post by JPM »

lejonklou wrote:Hi JPM!

A high degree of control in the bass often feels like "less" and sometimes even "there's no bass on this song?" - until the bass really starts and one realises it's certainly there.
This is exactly what I experienced and led to my conclusion!
I look forward to the Slipsik to be available again!
JPM

Post by JPM »

Happy New Year everyone!!!
Listened a lot of vinyl during the Xmas period and the Gaio kept improving. More involvement, tighter bass, ...
Vinyl never sounded better in my living room ever. I cannot wait to hear the new Slipsik soon!
casperghst42

Post by casperghst42 »

lejonklou wrote:Hi JPM!
The conclusion you reached was what I wanted to suggest, but as it's my own product it felt a bit presumptuous. A high degree of control in the bass often feels like "less" and sometimes even "there's no bass on this song?" - until the bass really starts and one realises it's certainly there.
I have a quite lean setup (MC 30 Super --> SUT 1:30 --> Gaio --> Creek 50A --> Dynaudio Focus 160), and I also with some music (not all) fell as if there is a lack of base. As you say it could be the control, but it actually more fells like it's simply being filtered out.

Which (reasonably priced) cartridges are you using as it could be interesting to know.

Cheers,
Casper
JPM

Post by JPM »

Linn Adikt. It sounds perfect now. Never been happier with my vinyl setup!
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I have had a Gaio for some time and with Majik LP12 ( with its Adikt cartridge) sounds great.

Bass is great with Lejonklou amps 242s and good recordings on the LP12.

I have found with the digital streamers that the better the source the more controlled and more enjoyable the bass , and this also applies to the preamp and amps in my system, but maybe less so.

With good source and amps the speakers in my system change the nature of the bass to a marked degree - my komponent 110s are quite different to the 242s with the same source and amps, and I have heard Klimax 350s with similar electronics - also very different nature of base.

All enjoyable - but my favorite is 242s , and then Komponents!
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s