Speakers

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Speakers

Post by Azazello »

I've been considering replacing my current speakers with AVI ADM-9, but I'm really starting too feel that I want something bigger then the Nexus I'm currently abusing my nice LP12-Slipsik-Timpano set up with. The ting is that most big options gets really expensive, expect maybe passive Isobarik, but they are big, hard to find, ugly and (and this is the biggest problem) really old. ATC SCM 100 or 150 can be found on ebay.co.uk at somewhat reasonable prices, but I'm in Sweden so shipping will be ridiculously expensive and impossible for me to check before paying for them. Keltik is possible to find for really good prices, but they are active-only so I will have to buy power amps for at least twice the price of the speakers.

This pretty much leaves me with passive Espeks or ADM-9 + a sub woofer (like Sizmik or maybe AVI:s sub).

What say you?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Speakers

Post by Music Lover »

If you conside the ATC's - then Keltik with 2 *5125 shouldn't be out of your budget or...
Azazello wrote:The ting is that most big options gets really expensive, expect maybe passive Isobarik, but they are big, hard to find, ugly and (and this is the biggest problem) really old.
Big yes
hard to find yes
ugly, nooo way!
old, what is the issue with that?
It's all about musical understanding!
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Music Lover wrote:If you conside the ATC's - then Keltik with 2 *5125 shouldn't be out of your budget or...
I have actually seen a few pairs of SCM 100 beeing sold for £1500 - 2000. That's about the same price as a cheap pari of Keltiks without amps. :)
Music Lover wrote:hard to find yes
ugly, nooo way!
Okokok, I dont care how they look anyway :D BUT can I really trust a loudspeaker at 20+ years to work? And if they break down, can they be fixed? And that tweeter on Isobarik, Isn't it the same as on the Nexus I'm currently using?
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

Music Lover wrote:If you conside the ATC's - then Keltik with 2 *5125 shouldn't be out of your budget or...
Azazello wrote:The ting is that most big options gets really expensive, expect maybe passive Isobarik, but they are big, hard to find, ugly and (and this is the biggest problem) really old.
Big yes
hard to find yes
ugly, nooo way!
Speaker units degrades slowly by time and usage. The treble units in my Isobariks lasted less than 10 years. I do nt know if that is unusually short, most of the time I used to play rather loud which might have accellerated ageing!?
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Hcl, did you go from Isobarik to Espek?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

hcl wrote: Speaker units degrades slowly by time and usage.
Do they?
In what way...please elaborate.
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

Azazello wrote:Hcl, did you go from Isobarik to Espek?
It is a long story, but yes.
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

Music Lover wrote:
hcl wrote: Speaker units degrades slowly by time and usage.
Do they?
In what way...please elaborate.
I have no deeper knowledge, but it seems to me that old speaker units, especially trebles seem to becomes rather harch after some (ten or so) years. It probably varies depending on materials used etc. I think magnets looses its magnetisation as they are heatened and low efficiency (typically domestic) active systems with few drivers, played at high listening levels probably runs fairly warm most of the time, hence gets worn rather quick.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Or...you get new references as new speakers get introduced.
The 3k array makes old treble units sound just like you described, harsh.
Any thoughts on this theory?
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Any thoughts on what amp/speaker(/sub) I shold aim for?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Azazello wrote:Any thoughts on what amp/speaker(/sub) I shold aim for?
Is active your goal (starting passive) or is it ok to run passive long term?
And the budget for amp/speaker is £1500 - 2000?
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Music Lover wrote:Is active your goal (starting passive) or is it ok to run passive long term? And the budget for amp/speaker is £1500 - 2000?
As long as it is good, I don't care if it's active or passive. I do want a full-range system. The budget is somewhere in that region, yes. :)
radar2866

Post by radar2866 »

I have been using ADM9s for about a year and love them. Even though they are a monitor, I find they can play really loud and hold together and put out good bass given their size. They work great with my LP-12, and freed up funds that I am hoping to put towards a Keel. I had ATC Active 20s before, and found that they could be a little too bright for my liking. I found the ADM9s to be perhaps a little warmer, yet still detailed and able to throw a great soundstage and hold up in the tunedem area.
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Azazello wrote:
Music Lover wrote:Is active your goal (starting passive) or is it ok to run passive long term? And the budget for amp/speaker is £1500 - 2000?
As long as it is good, I don't care if it's active or passive. I do want a full-range system. The budget is somewhere in that region, yes. :)
Twin/Isobarik is a good start.
But I still think you can get 2*5125/Keltik for that amount.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

The cheapest Keltik I have ever seen was on ebay uk for £1 200, and two 5125 would be at least the same amount don't you think? On top of that, the normal price on Keltik is quite a lot higher.

Isobarik-Twin :mrgreen: that would be something! But I think Twin would be even harder to squeeze in?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Bricks are sold to a very low price and I have seen Twin's for under 2k£.
A lower cost compromize could be Keltik with one 5125 and one 5105, or three 5105's

Or active Bricks with 3*LK280. I used that combo during 5 years and it was slamming quite a lot :mrgreen:
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Bricks are really tempting, but only if I could find a pair in good condition and to a good price. There are several ampss that would work for that, like LK280/Spark, LK240, 5105 and so on.

Keltik with 5105 feels like an impossible solution in the long run, I would just have to upgrade the amps. And that would be expencive.

But what about ADM-9 (or komponent) with a Sub? Is that such a bad idea?
hcl
Very active member
Very active member

Post by hcl »

Music Lover wrote:Or...you get new references as new speakers get introduced.
The 3k array makes old treble units sound just like you described, harsh.
Any thoughts on this theory?
When the old trebles worn out I just replaced them with two new pairs and the speakers where close to as good as new. You can test if a treble unit is worn by disconnecting the cables to the other units (on x-wirable or active speakers). A worn treble just scratches while an OK one should sound tuneful. Maybe Fredrik can elaborate on his some more!?
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

Hi Azazello,
How come you're not putting the funds into your LP12 or a better pre-amp? Are the Nexus speakers really not up to the task? And if they earn't, what about spending a bit less on playback and putting the remainder towards source/control for a future upgrade.

Is full-bandwidth really that important at this stage? You must be able to get 2nd hand Ninka/Katan's at a good price these days and being only two-way speakers they can be activated at less cost. Perhaps Fredrik is ready to sell his Katan's :)

Anyway - just curious - hope I'm not being too annoying mentioning all this when you've probably got your heart set on a big new pair of speakers!
All the best, Charlie1
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Charlie1 wrote:Hi Azazello,
How come you're not putting the funds into your LP12 or a better pre-amp? Are the Nexus speakers really not up to the task? And if they earn't, what about spending a bit less on playback and putting the remainder towards source/control for a future upgrade.
The thing with the LP12 is that I don't want go to MC yet. I simply dont have the money to spend every two years or so. The Ekos SE is much too expencive just as it is. The Timpano is relly good, I compared it to a Wakonda some weeks ago (at Komri's place actually) and the Wakonda was just thrashed (not that wakonda is so great, but still). Upgrading it, I would like to go at least to Exotik, and since the volume in ADM-9 is supposed to be almost as good as Majik-pre and I get power amps and speakers in the same time...

On top of that, i remember when I upgraded from Nexus to Tukan some ten years ago (or someting). The system then was LP12/valhalla/Akito2/K18-K9 - Kolektor - LK100. I was really blown away over how much better the Tukan was. But then again neither of those speakers where properly installed, since my dealer at that time wasn't really in to that, so it might have been due to the fact that the Tukans likes the position close to the wall better then the Nexus. But still; Nexus was never concidered such a good speaker.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the system today, it's no doubt the best I've ever had, the only thing I miss somtimes is bass (and a less boring and more well-paid job :| ). :D
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Charlie1 wrote:You must be able to get 2nd hand Ninka/Katan's at a good price these days and being only two-way speakers they can be activated at less cost. Perhaps Fredrik is ready to sell his Katan's :)
The other thing about ADM-9 is that they are £1000 and better than Ninka and Katan (acording to both ThomasOK and radar2866). They are cheaper then either of those with active amplification!

That's why I'm trying to figure out how happy a sub would make me :)
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I understand. Good luck with your search and look forward to hearing about the results!
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Azazello wrote:
Charlie1 wrote:You must be able to get 2nd hand Ninka/Katan's at a good price these days and being only two-way speakers they can be activated at less cost. Perhaps Fredrik is ready to sell his Katan's :)
The other thing about ADM-9 is that they are £1000 and better than Ninka and Katan (acording to both ThomasOK and radar2866). They are cheaper then either of those with active amplification!

That's why I'm trying to figure out how happy a sub would make me :)
So if you spend 1k on ADM, you have 1k£ for the sub.
Sizmik 12" or two 10" maybe? But I have no idea of the price level of these ones.
Azazello
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Azazello »

Music Lover wrote:So if you spend 1k on ADM, you have 1k£ for the sub.
Sizmik 12" or two 10" maybe? But I have no idea of the price level of these ones.
Yes, but the question is if a 2250 + Espek or maybee Isobarik would be better?
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

Azazello wrote:
Music Lover wrote:So if you spend 1k on ADM, you have 1k£ for the sub.
Yes, but the question is if a 2250 + Espek or maybee Isobarik would be better?
Better in what way?
As you requested SLAM that was the criteria recommending the systems.