Komponent 110 and Lejonklou

We use the Tune Method to evaluate performance

Moderator: Staff

u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Komponent 110 and Lejonklou

Post by u252agz »

With all the recent posts regarding amazing speakers and their stands - I thought i would share how Linns lowliest speaker sounds with a full set of Monos and a KDS/2.

Quite simply - unbelievably musical; and for their price point ridiculous value.

I rigged them up with the main system using 2.48m K200 ( new): and without any real positioning and a good metre from the wall, they were unexpectedly good.

Tight, fast, agile and with an astonishingly addictive mid range and treble. Obviously light on bass , but what there is sounds controlled and to my ears tuneful. It does not fill the room by any means but I was too busy enjoying to really care.

When connected to the sneaky ( it's intended home) - much better then the Kef eggs , which i quite like. I even tried with the classic movie and cd and it was still enjoyable.

Replacing the 110 s with 242 was fascinating - more presence, lovely rounded base , greater clarity and lifelike vocals. I would like to say more musical but in all honesty I am not sure. I would have to a few quick back to back sessions and am too slow at this.

I could never give up the 242s but if I had the same system with komponent 110s in the bedroom - i would enjoy the contrast and the musicality with the totally different listening experience .

I remember enjoying the KDS/1 with AK/1 and tundra 1.2 and Ninkas, and although the source and amplification have improved since then - i have a feeling the komponent 110 s are a more musical speaker than my trusty Ninkas.
Kalla/Sag M/Tun M3/242/LP12/Slip7

Kalla/Giella Pi/JBL308/RS2e

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Re: Komponent 110 and Lejonklou

Post by Charlie1 »

Glad to hear they worked out and you're enjoying them so much. I've got the smaller K104s with a Sneaky and that makes a great little system too.
lejonklou
Administrator
Administrator

Post by lejonklou »

Cool! I can imagine they sound good.

I always found the Komponents well tuned and very musical speakers. They lack low bass and don't sound particularly polite - but the latter is mostly due to them being very revealing of the incoming signal. When fed with a great signal, they sound great!
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Komponents now in the bedroom with the sneaky and my wife learning to like their looks.

Only problem with trying them with KDS2 / Monos is that I now know how good they can sound and the next project is how to improve the source/ amplification and keep things discrete.

Sneaky is standing on its side behind the curtains so super stealthy.

It's clear to me that I need a single box Lejonklou pre/power amp ( and a KRDS/1 or a Lejonklou streamer).

A Majik DSM is not going to cut it.

So two projects for Fredrik - please.

I am happy to wait - so no pressure.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
macrotech2
Very active member
Very active member

Post by macrotech2 »

u252agz wrote:Komponents now in the bedroom with the sneaky and my wife learning to like their looks.

Only problem with trying them with KDS2 / Monos is that I now know how good they can sound and the next project is how to improve the source/ amplification and keep things discrete.

Sneaky is standing on its side behind the curtains so super stealthy.

It's clear to me that I need a single box Lejonklou pre/power amp ( and a KRDS/1 or a Lejonklou streamer).

A Majik DSM is not going to cut it.

So two projects for Fredrik - please.

I am happy to wait - so no pressure.
One wish may be granted sooner than you think with a new product on the cards for October. (Not a streamer apparently according to other posts)
Källa/Sagatun Mono Tarandus/Tundra Mono 3/Avalon Idea Mk2
Music Lover
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Music Lover »

u252agz wrote:Replacing the 110 s with 242 was fascinating - more presence, lovely rounded base , greater clarity and lifelike vocals. I would like to say more musical but in all honesty I am not sure.
Komponent is one of Linn's most musical speakers so I'm not surprised.
Tried them att home and they were GREAT!
But without bass and dynamics...
I also consider then great sounding, but that may be different with less optimum input signal
It's all about musical understanding!
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Somewhere deep in my memory cells I had filed away that ML had reviewed the 110s as musical on this forum and possibly a Linnofil on the Linn forum?

So have been waiting until a reputable Linn dealer had them available.

Worth the wait - I now need a second pair to replace the Kef eggs and link with the classic movie downstairs.

If a Lejonklou combined pre/ power amp is in development - that's great news.

It will clear the path for a clear run for Fredrik at the streamer!

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
ThomasOK
Very active member
Very active member

Post by ThomasOK »

While I can't tell you yet what is coming I think you might find this interesting:

https://www.audiofest.net/attending/products/?keyword=B

Scroll down the page and look for the Nokturne Audio logo.

I can say it is not a streamer nor a Moving Coil phono stage. I can also say I expect it to be very popular.
The LP12 Whisperer
Manufacturer, Distributor, Retailer and above all lover of music.
Ron The Mon
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ron The Mon »

ThomasOK wrote:While I can't tell you yet what is coming I think you might find this interesting:

https://www.audiofest.net/attending/products/?keyword=B

Scroll down the page and look for the Nokturne Audio logo.

I can say it is not a streamer nor a Moving Coil phono stage. I can also say I expect it to be very popular.
Tom,
If it sounds better than the original Nait for less than two grand, expect huge success. I expect more.

Ron The Mon
donuk
Very active member
Very active member

Post by donuk »

I know. It's a reindeer horn loudspeaker.
Donuk, rainy downtown York.....
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Ron The Mon wrote:[quote="ThomasOK"

Tom,
If it sounds better than the original Nait for less than two grand, expect huge success. I expect more.

Ron The Mon

If the pre/power amp is indeed a reality - I agree it will be popular.

A simple system such as sneaky DS- Lejonklou pre/power amp - Majik 109s would be quite attractive.

I have seen what the DAC of the sneaky can do with four Monos and the 242s in my system and it is surprisingly enjoyable.

At least until a better value high quality streamer comes along.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

u252agz wrote:Somewhere deep in my memory cells I had filed away that ML had reviewed the 110s as musical on this forum and possibly a Linnofil on the Linn forum?
Komponent 110 is a brilliant speaker! I really like them and think they have great musicality and dynamics. But not in the lower frequencies. They are super sensitive when it comes to placement. Be prepared to tune to within 1-2 mm. For me they sounded the best around 21-22 cm from the back wall. So 1 m sounds way to much. For me they also sounded best angled slightly inwards, that is unusual for speakers in my room. Great that they now have one more fan!
sunbeamgls
Very active member
Very active member

Post by sunbeamgls »

u252agz - do you have room for one of those very compact REL T-series subs in the bedroom?
KSH/0; KEBox/2; 3x Tundra Stereo 2.5; PMC fact.12. Blogger. Exakt Design. SO measuring.
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

I could possibly place one of the smallest rel subwoofers ( t zero) in the room but have no experience of how to integrate this into a two channel system run by a sneaky ds.

Both of the surround systems downstairs are linked to an AV amp ( linn classik movie and Yamaha Rv 767 amp) via dedicated connections.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Linnofil wrote: Komponent 110 is a brilliant speaker! I really like them and think they have great musicality and dynamics. But not in the lower frequencies. They are super sensitive when it comes to placement. Be prepared to tune to within 1-2 mm.

Will work on the placement but have to be careful as technically I am in my wife's territory.

Currently 15 cm from the wall, 2.5 metres apart and toed in. Will move them slowly so that it is not noticed.

On a positive note - when I mentioned that the Komponents had been reviewed favourably by members of the Hi Fi cognoscente in Sweden, it was greeted with general approval.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

What's really annoying is that once the komponent 5.1 package was available for £1000 in the UK but I wasn't allowed to buy them. She was removed from my life shortly afterwards. Maybe not so shortly. Lol
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Ozzzy189
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Ozzzy189 »

Excuse me as I'm rather under the influence, anyway, what I was trying to get across was that I'd rather have fancied these speakers back when I was looking for a surround package. Weren't these the series that were outsourced to China for manufacturing?
ADS3/SagMono/Tundra 2.2- . Totem Tribe Tower.
Lejonklou demos available in the N of England.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

Ozzzy189 wrote:Weren't these the series that were outsourced to China for manufacturing?
Yes, I think that is the main reason why they stopped making them. Getting spare parts took to long time, big batches in manufacturing, getting a bad reputation from the "made in PRC" stickers etc. But that is just me guessing. Great speakers, but no bass and the most sensitive of all Linn speakers when it comes to install/placement.
Linnofil
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Linnofil »

u252agz wrote:On a positive note - when I mentioned that the Komponents had been reviewed favourably by members of the Hi Fi cognoscente in Sweden, it was greeted with general approval.
:-D
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

Ozzzy189 wrote:once the komponent 5.1 package was available for £1000 in the UK but I wasn't allowed to buy them. l
Ozzy - I have been married for 20 years so I reckon I have earned the 110s in the bedroom!

Even had to sacrifice the piano in the music hi fi room so the family could put in its place another tv and a satellite box.

I suspect your Regas sound just great . With a great source and amplification / installation - I suspect most half decent speakers will sound fantastic.

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s
Charlie1
Very active member
Very active member

Post by Charlie1 »

I totally respect that folks have found the 110s need fine tuning of the speaker position - I certainly found that on my main system. However, the thing I like about my Komponents (104s) with the Sneaky is that they always sound good just plonked on a cabinet. I put some dense felt underneath to stop vibrations. The SDS is on the floor like u252agz's and the speaker cable is home made from some old extension cord. I don't know why but it's great fun to listen to (using Google Play instead of Tidal now). The best bit is that it was hassle free.
beck
Very active member
Very active member

Post by beck »

u252agz wrote:
I suspect your Regas sound just great . With a great source and amplification / installation - I suspect most half decent speakers will sound fantastic.
I suspect you are right! Speakers only go in and out as Ivor used to say!:-)
Playing cd’s…………
u252agz
Very active member
Very active member

Post by u252agz »

u252agz wrote:Komponents now in the bedroom with the sneaky and my wife learning to like their looks.

At the moment the Komponents in the Bedroom are being fed by my KDS/2 and Boazu ( one of my wishes above was granted ) and sound incredibly musical and addictively good.

So much so that KDS/2 is staying in the bedroom for a while and the downstairs system will have to make do with Majik LP12 and sneaky for now.

This is a really, really enjoyable system - amazing what these speakers can deliver with some top quality electronics behind them .

Majik LP12/Boazu/110s